Reentry & Takeoff

Rui Cambraia

Members
Jan 3, 2016
Just passed by to test the new Miui 8.3 / Android 7. The ROM looks great, as usual. Battery first impressions were also great. But... I do not accept that Xiaomi.eu offers ROMs that locked the phone. It's really inaceptable and goes against the "custom" ROM free spirit that used to be around here. I also do not understand how people accept to ask Xiaomi permission to unlock their own phones...! Worse... the process often does not work, and they have to go through an "unofficial" method to unlock it. It's really sad. So... have fun - I'll go back to CM 13.1 and wait there for android 7.

Bye bye. I unlocked bootloader with official way, is not end of the world this procedure.
The locked bootloader is caused by google policy, is not xiaomi.eu fault.

Last edited:
Just passed by to test the new Miui 8.3 / Android 7. The ROM looks great, as usual. Battery first impressions were also great. But... I do not accept that Xiaomi.eu offers ROMs that locked the phone. It's really inaceptable and goes against the "custom" ROM free spirit that used to be around here. I also do not understand how people accept to ask Xiaomi permission to unlock their own phones...! Worse... the process often does not work, and they have to go through an "unofficial" method to unlock it. It's really sad. So... have fun - I'll go back to CM 13.1 and wait there for android 7.
The process works, you just have to wait 3 or 4 days and with officially procedure you just have to do it once, not the same about unofficial method. I don't understand why do you blame xiaomi.eu, they don't lock bootloaders.

Reactions: vladpaul
Bye bye. I unlocked bootloader with official way, is not end of the world this procedure.
OK... so Google owns Miui/Xiaomi...? Because Miui is the only ROM that blocks the bootloader...!?
CM does not...
Is not the end of the world for you, but for many other it was... lucky you!!!
That's why the Internet is full of complaints, and unofficial procedures - they are all stupid people, for sure.

The process works, you just have to wait 3 or 4 days and with officially procedure you just have to do it once, not the same about unofficial method. I don't understand why do you blame xiaomi.eu, they don't lock bootloaders.
The process might not work, but again... it is a matter of principles... Why should I wait 3 to 10 days to unlock MY phone...???
The spirit of using and developing "custom roms" used to be different... more... "open".
Not to mention the amount of bugs here... in CM I just do not see any bug to my kind of usage. With Miui 8.3 I got stucked in two major bugs... nope...

Reactions: andrewit
After flashing weekly 7.xx.xx, i recommend that you should continue flash TWRP after finished flashing rom, so that you can still get in recovery mode withouth any locked bootloader problems.

Okay, so: 6 days, that was the time that XIAOMI (yes Xiaomi, not Google, not Miui) took to send me the SMS to unlock the bootloader. 6 days during which I could not update the TWRP, I could not update the faulty Google Play, actually I could not update anything. I could not install SuperSu.
But...! It was none of this: because in twenty minutes I unlocked the bootloader, unofficialy, with the help of XDA Developers, and I got my phone back with the CM13. No bugs in Google Play, no bugs with Broadcast Messages...
If you want to install Miui 8.3+ and get the bootloader of YOUR phone blocked, just do not do it on a Saturday ... !!! There will be two extra days of waiting ...
Enjoy ...

It's not only me after all: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/my-experience-in-bootloader-unlocking.38975/
I just don't have time to become an expert in dealing with buggy ROM installations.
When I first came here - and actually made a donation for the good work that was being done here - it used to be just a simple ROM installation. Then I lost the right to install the TWRP I wanted; then I lost Root access without a especific third party app, finally I got my bootloader blocked... and must become an expert in smartphones...???