Roaming problems

Ian Miles

Members
Jun 2, 2019
I know that this is a common problem, but it has now struck me after getting a Redmi Note 6 pro.
Phone is not roaming, even after I've done the APN adjustments as stated in my carrier's website. tried rebooting and even a software update.
When I've tried manual or automatic connection, get the "sorry we can't connect you right now" message.
Something special about the phone? My wife has the same model, same network, and was getting this problem when in Finland; I was using a different Xiaomi phone at that time and had no issues.
(I'm using Frankfurt airport wifi to write this.)
Looking around the web I dont see anything helpful, though there seem toi be options in earlier versions of Android that I do not have. My Android is 9 PKQ1, 1809004.001

I know that this is a common problem, but it has now struck me after getting a Redmi Note 6 pro.
Phone is not roaming, even after I've done the APN adjustments as stated in my carrier's website. tried rebooting and even a software update.
When I've tried manual or automatic connection, get the "sorry we can't connect you right now" message.
Something special about the phone? My wife has the same model, same network, and was getting this problem when in Finland; I was using a different Xiaomi phone at that time and had no issues.
Looking around the web I dont see anything helpful, though there seem toi be options in earlier versions of Android that I do not have. My Android is 9 PKQ1, 1809004.001
The same is happening to me right now in Mexico

I solved this issue, 1st. Go to preferred Network type in simcard settings and select GSM/WCDMA 2nd. Go back and select mobile network. Turn off automatically and select a 3g network, try one by one until the phone catch Network signal

Same issue here. I have just bought a MI 9T a couple of days ago and can't make one of the SIMs to work in roaming. Can't receive calls, messages or connect to data. I have tried different solutions but with no luck.

I really hope this issue will be fixed soon

Same issue here. Currently in Italy and can't roam. I've tried creating a new APN , clearing cache , connecting to other networks and no luck . Has any solution been found ? It's quite an issue

I am still experiencing this problem in MIUI 12 Global 12.5.16 on my Redmi Note 10S. Before the last update, I was able to use roaming by selecting the carrier manually. However, when it connects automatically it shows an "R" connection and when trying to connect to a 4G carrier manually it will still show the "R" instead of 4G/LTE. When set to "LTE Only", the phone won't even connect manually to a 4G carrier.

Still having the same issue on Redmi Note 7, MIUI 12.5.1.0. Can't connect to any carrier. Neither manually or automatically when in other country. Any help would be appreciated.

Still having the same issue on Redmi Note 7, MIUI 12.5.1.0. Can't connect to any carrier. Neither manually or automatically when in other country. Any help would be appreciated.
@LadyD, the only thing that worked for me was going into the hidden "device information menu" and changing it to "LTE Only" from there (as in my MIUI12 on the regular SIM card menu it only shows the option "Prefer LTE", and that doesn't solve it.

Steps: Open configurations > About phone > All specs > Internal storage (touch 5 times in a row) > Phone information [SIM card number] > Set preferred Network Type (touch to open the list) > Select LTE Only.

After that, you can set again to "Prefer LTE" on the conventional Menu, however, in my experience, it will eventually go back to being stuck at 2G.