Root and OTA updates

Juju0169

Members
Dec 22, 2018
Hi everyone,

Several questions on around the root :
- OTA will still work?
- if I update willIi lost my root access? (any way to change that)
- a program that requires root acess is for his operation or just for his installation ?

Tanks
Julien

Hi everyone,

Several questions on around the root :
- OTA will still work?
- if I update willIi lost my root access? (any way to change that)
- a program that requires root acess is for his operation or just for his installation ?

Tanks
Julien
- Yes.
- Yes. You'll need to reflash your root after the update.
- Operation. Root cannot be requested during installation.

Ota might work out of the box if there's a recovery with ota survival available for your device.
Red wolf (discontinued) and orange fox come to mind

Or is the xiaomi eu Rom different to the stock miui in that regard?

It's for my son so I think that it's to complicated to always reactivate the root.

Ok, thank you for your answers

It's for my son so I think that it's to complicated to always reactivate the root.

There's no need to "always" update. I also skip some weekly versions, if I am happy with the one I presently have and there is no obvious benefit of a new one. Also, re-rooting takes a few minutes, of which most time is waiting for the phone to reboot. Nothing complicated, just reboot in TWRP and flash magisk again. I always keep my magisk installer in my internal storage, so I don't have to download it every time. So, basically what I do is:
* perform OTA update
* afterwards, reboot into TWRP
* flash magisk and wipe dalvik/cache
* reboot, log in
* reboot a second time to get rid of the lagginess that always is a result of flashing magisk - after the second reboot, all is fine!

Can someone help me with the OTA please? I am on eu stable and when I try to download the new stable via OTA it says server error?