Root+encryption?

phidias81

Members
Mar 27, 2018
Is encryption working togheter with root on Xiaomi eu or any ROM? I couldn't manage so far. And should I first root and then encrypt or first encrypt and then root? Thank you

Your rom is encrypted by default :)
No matter you flash root or not, it will remain encrypted. (Magisk doesn't ruin encryption, not sure about supersu)
You dont need to encrypt your device again.

Your rom is encrypted by default :)
No matter you flash root or not, it will remain encrypted. (Magisk doesn't ruin encryption, not sure about supersu)
You dont need to encrypt your device again.
What you mean? Is that with Xiaomi eu ROM? Because the stock ROM is not encrypted by default

What you mean? Is that with Xiaomi eu ROM? Because the stock ROM is not encrypted by default
Xiaomi.eu comes encrypted. You dont need to encrypt it again. Just install xiaomi.eu and go to settngs - privacy and you'll see "Device Encrypted"

Xiaomi.eu comes encrypted. You dont need to encrypt it again. Just install xiaomi.eu and go to settngs - privacy and you'll see "Device Encrypted"
That's cool, thank you. Is it all encrypted, including photos and personal files, or only system?
It ca be safely rooted with encryption?

That's cool, thank you. Is it all encrypted, including photos and personal files, or only system?
It ca be safely rooted with encryption?
It can be safely rooted with encryption. Only system is encrypted. Internal storage isn't, so you can see your photos. Etc. In twrp

It can be safely rooted with encryption. Only system is encrypted. Internal storage isn't, so you can see your photos. Etc. In twrp
Thank you. But I would like to encrypt also internal storage, since my phone got stolen recently, now I'm really sensible to this issue. Isn't it possible to have full encryption+root?

Thank you. But I would like to encrypt also internal storage, since my phone got stolen recently, now I'm really sensible to this issue. Isn't it possible to have full encryption+root?
You can certainly do that by manually edit the fstab.qcom under "vendor/etc". First mount vendor in TWRP, or whatever recovery you are using. And find the /data line in fstab.qcom , change the "encryptable=ice" to "fileencryptaion=ice,quota", save and reboot. Now your whole device is encrypted. P.S. You need a recovery that supports encrypted /data partition. P.P.S. You need to do this EVERYTIME if your vendor partition modifies, i.e., when you flash a new ROM from xiaomi.eu. Cheers.

You can certainly do that by manually edit the fstab.qcom under "vendor/etc". First mount vendor in TWRP, or whatever recovery you are using. And find the /data line in fstab.qcom , change the "encryptable=ice" to "fileencryptaion=ice,quota", save and reboot. Now your whole device is encrypted. P.S. You need a recovery that supports encrypted /data partition. P.P.S. You need to do this EVERYTIME if your vendor partition modifies, i.e., when you flash a new ROM from xiaomi.eu. Cheers.
Thank you, I'm getting back to this only now.
It looks like a more complex procedure than I was expecting and I can't find any reference on the web about this apart from your message. SO basically if anything goes wrong, than I might not receive any help.
Any other "more user friendly" way to accomplish the same result?

After several months I'm back trying once again Xiaomi EU, but I'm stiil fighting with having encryption and root at the same time. What you say it's not true, since the device is NOT encrypted by default. If I go to settings I can choose to Encrypt the device, but since I have rooted it before, it doesn't work, it just hang at the mi logo after rebooting

After several months I'm back trying once again Xiaomi EU, but I'm stiil fighting with having encryption and root at the same time. What you say it's not true, since the device is NOT encrypted by default. If I go to settings I can choose to Encrypt the device, but since I have rooted it before, it doesn't work, it just hang at the mi logo after rebooting

The key to doing this is to ensure you modify the fstab.qcom file before booting the ROM first time.
Flash ROM.
Reboot recovery
Mount vendor
eg. adb pull /vendir/etc/fstab.qcom c:\temp\
edit fstab.qcom as described
adb push c:\temp\fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/
unmount vendor
Boot ROM

Reactions: ndn997