New Screen recording apps control center landscape bug

icecreameater

Members
Aug 7, 2020
1. First of all, I have tried the default screen recording app and other screen recording apps.
2. Even tried before and after installing magisk.
3. Tried the old and new control center.
And all of them gives the same result.

Bug: When I pull down the control center, the LANDSCAPED app behind(ex. Wild rift, codm, etc) rotates in a funny way BUT it ONLY shows in the screen recording but not in the actual usage.(Pull the control center slowly to see it clearly)

Side note: there is a bug in the "Hide notch" which I believe is related to this. If you pull down the control center, the app behind is shifted(or stretched??) into the side of the notch. In the screen recording, it also rotates in funny way.

And strangely, this bug doesn't exist in a Redmi Note 9s I tried. Just here in Mi 8.

Please look at the attached photos as I cant upload the screen record here due to size restrictions.

Does this happen to other devices?

Tested in Mi 8 xiaomi.eu 12.0.4.0

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-17-23-54-41-813_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-17-23-54-41-813_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 196
  • Screenshot_2021-04-17-23-55-00-175_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-17-23-55-00-175_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 195
  • Screenshot_2021-04-17-23-55-08-881_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-17-23-55-08-881_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 202
  • Screenshot_2021-04-17-23-54-13-679_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-17-23-54-13-679_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 217
Okay here's the screen recording and this is exactly what you see when you are using Wireless Display and or while streaming.

Streaming in landscape sucks because you are greeted by a bug that most likely will never get a fix.

Note: Happens with or without custom theme and with Old and new control panel. My theme has a black background for the control panel so it isn't as prominent as the default theme.

@Igor Eisberg sir. May you look at this issue? I will gladly help with logs or whatever. Thank you.

Last edited:
Okay here's the screen recording and this is exactly what you see when you are using Wireless Display and or while streaming.

Streaming in landscape sucks because you are greeted by a bug that most likely will never get a fix.

Note: Happens with or without custom theme and with Old and new control panel. My theme has a black background for the control panel so it isn't as prominent as the default theme.

@Igor Eisberg sir. May you look at this issue? I will gladly help with logs or whatever. Thank you.
I didn't build the Screen recorder app, report to Xiaomi...

I didn't build the Screen recorder app, report to Xiaomi...
It's not just the miui screen recorder app, 3rd party screen recorder from the playstore too, even screen casting or Wireless display have this issue too. I can't record the wireless display/screen casting as I have no extra phone.

The thing is, the issue in the screen recording I sent happens in the Wireless display too and the problems are exactly the same.

My friend has a Redmi note 9s and none of this bugs are present. So this bug is I believe only present in the Mi 8's builds. And since Mi 8 is nearing it's EOL, this bug might never get fixed by xiaomi.

There is another bug not present in Note 9s that I've noticed. A bug in Hide notch and move status bar which Ive reported before as whenever you pull the power bar the landscaped app opened behind(ex. games like wild rift,etc.) gets stretched into the notch part as if it "fills up the supposedly hidden notch". And that is what my eyes see in realtime while playing. But if I screen record it or screen cast and playback the video what they see is the same as the screen recording I sent above.

So basically, I believe the problem is in the Power bar/control panel whenever the phone is in landscape it gets messed up and gets confused in orientation and specifically in Mi 8 only. I just have no idea why other devices dont have this bug.

Last edited:
It's not just the miui screen recorder app, 3rd party screen recorder from the playstore too, even screen casting or Wireless display have this issue too. I can't record the wireless display/screen casting as I have no extra phone.

The thing is, the issue in the screen recording I sent happens in the Wireless display too and the problems are exactly the same.

My friend has a Redmi note 9s and none of this bugs are present. So this bug is I believe only present in the Mi 8's builds. And since Mi 8 is nearing it's EOL, this bug might never get fixed by xiaomi.

There is another bug not present in Note 9s that I've noticed. A bug in Hide notch and move status bar which Ive reported before as whenever you pull the power bar the landscaped app opened behind(ex. games like wild rift,etc.) gets stretched into the notch part as if it "fills up the supposedly hidden notch". And that is what my eyes see in realtime while playing. But if I screen record it or screen cast and playback the video what they see is the same as the screen recording I sent above.

So basically, I believe the problem is in the Power bar/control panel whenever the phone is in landscape it gets messed up and gets confused in orientation and specifically in Mi 8 only. I just have no idea why other devices dont have this bug.
Yeah but... we can't redesign how System UI works...

Yeah but... we can't redesign how System UI works...
Oh okay. So no hope. Ive reported this bug last November 2020 to Xiaomi through the Feedback app and surprisingly got a response asking me to elaborate the problem and so I did but they never responded after that.