New SGS2 i9100 3.5.31 Freeze requiring factory reset

markyboy

Members
Mar 22, 2012
In 4 days since I installed 3.5.31 I've had to reset (as in wipe cache, wipe data) my SGS2 twice because in normal use the phone locks up, and on restarting (hard power off or battery remove) it doesn't get past the initial firmware bootloader screen - i.e. fails to even get to the usual animated Samsung logo. Just goes black screen, no progress.

Restarting doesn't change it - once the lock happens, I cannot boot the phone even if I re-flash the 3.5.31 rom. The problem persists until I clear data. REALLY frustrating.

Don't know what I was doing when this happened first on Saturday. But the second time (Sunday?) was while using Bacon Reader. And tonight it froze again while using Google Maps. I've left phone running on the frozen screen this time as I am sick of resetting and restoring from backup, wanted to see what happens when the battery drains rather than hard reboot.

I have no idea what's causing the locks - possibly an app, possibly not - so wondering if anyone else is facing this issue.

Well, I left phone on where it crashed until battery died. Plugged in to power, left charging overnight. Turned on this morning, same black screen. Left it on, went for shower, came back and phone had booted. No idea what the delay was nor how long it took. Hmmm

Edit: Despite above, I wouldn't call this "resolved". Phone was on black screen for a good 10 minutes before I went off to shower & shave - so the black screen lasts 10 to 25 minutes. This is unacceptable, but I can perhaps soldier on until 3.6.7 and see if it happens next week.

Well, I left phone on where it crashed until battery died. Plugged in to power, left charging overnight. Turned on this morning, same black screen. Left it on, went for shower, came back and phone had booted. No idea what the delay was nor how long it took. Hmmm

Edit: Despite above, I wouldn't call this "resolved". Phone was on black screen for a good 10 minutes before I went off to shower & shave - so the black screen lasts 10 to 25 minutes. This is unacceptable, but I can perhaps soldier on until 3.6.7 and see if it happens next week.

Hi there,

This is a serious issue on I9100 devices. Developers at Xiaomi are looking into it. Till this issue is resolved, it is not wise to use Miui Rom on your SGS2 if you want it for daily use.

Backup using CWM. Wipe data/cache everything. And restore. If i remembered well it works...