Invalid SMS crash on Mi8se stable v10.3.1

shiqiaodu

Members
Apr 20, 2019
Hi. I upgraded my Mi 8 se from 9.3.28 to stable 10.3.1.0.
I found the SMS app crashes and I can't send or receive SMS. It was OK on 9.3.28
I also changed to other SMS apps but not work too.

Here is the log trace.

android.database.sqlite.SQLiteException: Can't downgrade database from version 110 to 109
at android.database.DatabaseUtils.readExceptionFromParcel(Unknown Source:15)
at android.database.DatabaseUtils.readExceptionFromParcel(Unknown Source:11)
at android.content.ContentProviderProxy.query(Unknown Source:77)
at android.content.ContentResolver.query(Unknown Source:57)
at android.content.ContentResolver.query(Unknown Source:4)
at android.content.ContentResolver.query(Unknown Source:12)
at com.android.mms.util.SqliteWrapper.query(Unknown Source:1)
at com.android.mms.data.Conversation.loadThreadsFromCursor(Unknown Source:14)
at com.android.mms.data.Conversation.cacheAllThreads(Unknown Source:42)
at com.android.mms.data.Conversation.access$000(Unknown Source:0)
at com.android.mms.data.Conversation$RefreshRunnable.run(Unknown Source:4)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1167)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:641)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:764)

Hi. I upgraded my Mi 8 se from 9.3.28 to stable 10.3.1.0.
I found the SMS app crashes and I can't send or receive SMS. It was OK on 9.3.28
I also changed to other SMS apps but not work too.

Here is the log trace.

android.database.sqlite.SQLiteException: Can't downgrade database from version 110 to 109
at android.database.DatabaseUtils.readExceptionFromParcel(Unknown Source:15)
at android.database.DatabaseUtils.readExceptionFromParcel(Unknown Source:11)
at android.content.ContentProviderProxy.query(Unknown Source:77)
at android.content.ContentResolver.query(Unknown Source:57)
at android.content.ContentResolver.query(Unknown Source:4)
at android.content.ContentResolver.query(Unknown Source:12)
at com.android.mms.util.SqliteWrapper.query(Unknown Source:1)
at com.android.mms.data.Conversation.loadThreadsFromCursor(Unknown Source:14)
at com.android.mms.data.Conversation.cacheAllThreads(Unknown Source:42)
at com.android.mms.data.Conversation.access$000(Unknown Source:0)
at com.android.mms.data.Conversation$RefreshRunnable.run(Unknown Source:4)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1167)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:641)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:764)
And that's precisely your problem. You downgraded from a recent Weekly to Stable without wiping data / factory reset.
You can't do that. Try clearing app data for Messaging app. You will probably lose all your SMS messages.
If that doesn't solve the issue, you'll need a fresh install of the ROM.

I love how ignorant the MIUI community is... or maybe the whole Android community. nothing is impossible in cases like that! After ~5 minutes of research I've found this among a lot of other helpful questions on SO. In the linked question the response marked as solution can be helpful, but the real help are the second and third responses, since they give you the path of the DB that crashes the app.

Now I've searched for this because I had the same problem (db downgrade not implemented because why would it be), and I wasn't even able to receive any new SMS. I deleted the 2 files named mmssms (in my case mmssms.db and mmssms.db-journal) (honestly not deleted but moved them in case I would need them in the future), and the Messaging app now works as expected. But be aware that if you do that, the app won't contain your previous messages. I was able to restore it from a MIUI backup I made before downgrading the system, but I think one could do the same with a TiBu SMS backup, or as a last resort you could even try to repair the database (ALWAYS KEEP AN ORIGINAL COPY OF IT!!!)

I know it's not that new a thread, but at least now you know that. And maybe others find it in the future, and it could be helpful for them. I always felt so sick about people being so ignorant as "wipe all your data, repairing the system is impossible!", because that's definetly not any form of help! I, and you also can do that without anyone saying it, but you've written the question here to ask for a REAL solution, right?

P.S.: tried opening the database with a few SQL browser apps which usually work, but both crashed. In my case the problem probably wasn'T just the version mismatch, but also that the DB got corrupted

Reactions: Petit Poney
so, I made this mistake too, but then i went to TWRP > File Explorer > /data/user_de/0/com.android.providers.telephony/databases and deleted the file mmssms.db and everything was fine after that

so, I made this mistake too, but then i went to TWRP > File Explorer > /data/user_de/0/com.android.providers.telephony/databases and deleted the file mmssms.db and everything was fine after that
That's an option too, but SMS might not be the only problem when downgrading.