Solved! Mi Note 2 Locked To Former Owners Google Account

cobben

Members
Dec 2, 2017
Hi All,

Interesting problem.

I just bought a Mi Note 2, 6GB/128GB international version, which the former owner has removed from his Google account, but it still wants to be logged into his account.

He said that the phone is gone from his list of devices in his Google account.

He gave me his password, after a few false starts I could log into his account enough to be able to change his password, which he saw directly on his own phone.

But when I try to go further, Google just forces me back to the original login screen:

"This device has been reset. To continue, please sign in with a Google account that was previously synced on this device".

And round and round we go . . .

I tried resetting the phone via recovery (Mi 3.0 recovery it says), wiping all data, which was the only choice, but that made no difference.

I did try flashing an official Xiaomi rom from my Win10 tablet with the MiFlash tool.
It started, but then complained that "critical partitions cannot be written".
Which I suppose just means that the bootloader is not unlocked, and that the ROM in the phone is probably not a vendor ROM, etc.

The phone shows "MIUI 9" when it starts up, but there is no version information anywhere that I can see.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Interesting problem.

I just bought a Mi Note 2, 6GB/128GB international version, which the former owner has removed from his Google account, but it still wants to be logged into his account.

He said that the phone is gone from his list of devices in his Google account.

He gave me his password, after a few false starts I could log into his account enough to be able to change his password, which he saw directly on his own phone.

But when I try to go further, Google just forces me back to the original login screen:

"This device has been reset. To continue, please sign in with a Google account that was previously synced on this device".

And round and round we go . . .

I tried resetting the phone via recovery (Mi 3.0 recovery it says), wiping all data, which was the only choice, but that made no difference.

I did try flashing an official Xiaomi rom from my Win10 tablet with the MiFlash tool.
It started, but then complained that "critical partitions cannot be written".
Which I suppose just means that the bootloader is not unlocked, and that the ROM in the phone is probably not a vendor ROM, etc.

The phone shows "MIUI 9" when it starts up, but there is no version information anywhere that I can see.

As it turned out the seller had given me the wrong Google account, he had another account that this phone was signed in to.