[SOLVED] soft brick (and I don't know why)

vt17s

Members
Nov 12, 2013
Hi

I think my redmi 4x is soft bricked. It was working perfectly great yesterday night, when I shut it down before go to bed.
This morning, at start, mi logo appears for 1/2 second and phone shut down.

It can only boot to fastboot.

So, I thought I should use miflash.

But miflashtool gives me this error message : Flash tz error...
frown.gif

Can you help ?
Is my santoni dead ?

Hi

I think my redmi 4x is soft bricked. It was working perfectly great yesterday night, when I shut it down before go to bed.
This morning, at start, mi logo appears for 1/2 second and phone shut down.

It can only boot to fastboot.

So, I thought I should use miflash.

But miflashtool gives me this error message : Flash tz error...
frown.gif

Can you help ?
Is my santoni dead ?

"tz" stands for TrustZone I think, one of the hidden/secured partitions used by Qualcomm and Xiaomi to store assorted proprietary information about the phone that users are not supposed to have access to.

That says to me that your phone had some sort of memory problem that could not be fixed by the system itself.

What you probably have to do is fastboot flash an original Xiaomi fastboot rom, Global or China depending on your phone.

If the memory fault was temporary, or recoverable, that should work.

If not, you have a hardware memory failure, and probably need a new main board.

Thanks for answer.
I tried another time to flash Original Global rom and I had this new failure message :

FAILED (remote: Critical partition flashing not allowed)

Google says me it's a locked bootloader problem...
But my redmi 4x has unlocked bootloader...

Thanks for answer.
I tried another time to flash Original Global rom and I had this new failure message :

FAILED (remote: Critical partition flashing not allowed)

Google says me it's a locked bootloader problem...
But my redmi 4x has unlocked bootloader...

Something possibly happened that triggered your bootloader to be locked again?

Try unlocking your bootloader again, the official way.

Yes, that's what I did and it works now.
I really can't explain what happened...

But result is here: it works ! :)
Thanks for help.

Reactions: cobben
Yes, that's what I did and it works now.
I really can't explain what happened...

But result is here: it works ! :)
Thanks for help.

I still think your phone had a "memory accident" of some kind.

Not your fault, perhaps cosmic radiation flipped a few bits the wrong way in the memory.

Stuff happens.

By the way, this might have been a one time problem, no real fault with the phones hardware.

But if strange things start happening more often, it might be time to think about getting get a new phone.

Yes, maybe.
I had a question about Miflash : can I flash and relock smartphone even if I don't have stock recovery installed ?

Yes, maybe.
I had a question about Miflash : can I flash and relock smartphone even if I don't have stock recovery installed ?

You should never lock bootloader unless you have an official Xiaomi rom for your phone installed (China rom for Chinese phone, Global rom for Global phone).

Installing an official rom overwrites any custom recovery with Mi recovery, unless you reflash your custom recovery again and immediately flash some special file that makes it stick - forget the files name.

I have no idea what happens if you do that and then lock the bootloader, but it does not sound like a good idea.

I asked in case of selling the phone and reinitialize it for the customer, if there's one.
I thought about flash an official global rom. As i saw option in miflash to relock bootloader ("clean all", "save user data", "clean all and lock"), I was wondering if I should do it for the buyer.

I asked in case of selling the phone and reinitialize it for the customer, if there's one.
I thought about flash an official global rom. As i saw option in miflash to relock bootloader ("clean all", "save user data", "clean all and lock"), I was wondering if I should do it for the buyer.

You can do that for the buyer, if they want an "original" phone.
You can leave it with TWRP and an eu rom if they want that, just do a factory reset.

Most important is to first remove your Google account, and remove the phone from your Mi account.