Some Questions Before Jumping In

tevelizor

Members
Jul 31, 2016
So I just got myself a Redmi 3 pro, which is an awesome phone. It came with some unofficial retailer MIUI "7.9.2.0" and a custom recovery, so I needed to fastboot flash some official MIUI ROM (flashed the Global MIUI 8 Dev) and everything seems fine now.

I do hate some things from it though, since I came from vanilla Android and I always liked that.

1. The notification shade sometimes has white text on white background (Play Music)
2. The app icons are horrible and system wide (black background on them)
3. Inbox is crashing when swiping stuff (weird)
4. Such a messy permission system
5. Too many MI apps that can't be removed (I'd rather have some other Phone, Messaging, Calendar, Notes, Clock, Mail, Themes, Compass, Gallery, Scanner, Security and completely remove or freeze those, mainly since they can't figure out that 123 4567 8910 is the same as 12345678910 as a phone number so it just shows most contacts as phone numbers when they call or text)
6. The MI account makes Calendar a mess with 2 added useless categories (local and MI account). Can it be completely removed?
7. The clock is on the left in the status bar, I never find it. Seems best on the right.
8. The notification icons ("badges") are really small in the status bar
9. Expanding notifications is REALLY buggy and only works with 2 fingers.

My question is, how many of these issues are/can be fixed by a setting or something in xiaomi.eu?
This is for MIUI 8, MIUI 7 is completely unusable for me because pulling the status bar has the worst possible kind of animation. Yeah, I actually wanted to return the phone for that.

I'd appreciate numbered answers if you could (for each point in the OP). Thank you very much!

Last edited:
8. The notification icons ("badges") are really small in the status bar

Assuming your phone is rooted, you might consider downloading and installing xMIUI, which is an Xposed module. Amongst other things, you can change the icons in the status bar to AOSP style and you can customise the size of icons and text in the status bar. I can't post links here yet, but Google "xda xmiui" and "xda xposed". You'll need to install the Xposed Framework and Xposed Installer prior to install xMIUI.

Reactions: tevelizor
Assuming your phone is rooted, you might consider downloading and installing xMIUI, which is an Xposed module. Amongst other things, you can change the icons in the status bar to AOSP style and you can customise the size of icons and text in the status bar. I can't post links here yet, but Google "xda xmiui" and "xda xposed". You'll need to install the Xposed Framework and Xposed Installer prior to install xMIUI.

Wow, that is amazing, thank you!