Straight out the box, where to begin?

Aug 1, 2013
Hello everyone

I recently came back from China having proudly bought a brand new 32gb MI2S
Believing getting everything working properly would ne dead easy, I turned the phone on and attempted to download google play
Since then it has become apparent that getting this phone to work and google play with it is likely to be far more complicated than I had imagined
I have read something about multilang mods and different custom roms, but am rather lost, from the installer apk not working (followed this (http://en.miui.com/thread-3998-11-1.html) to a T and it still did not work) to attempting to install a different ROM from an SD card

In short, I know very little about what I am doing, the phone is straight out the box and I would like to get google play working and possibly install the multilang mod
Any tips on where to even start would be much appreciated
Any decent step by step guide would be immense
Thank you

jamespatrickgrant

Like your post this forum has a lot. There are many ROM's and have each one his quality's. You SHOULD read the flash guide, and every page of ROM available and choose what suits you better.

Remember to aways use the search and share your experiences to help this forum. ;)

jamespatrickgrant

You read the wrong thread (That was a General Guide, not only for Xiaomi devices). I said the flash guide like A simple update guide for xiaomi M2 or [GUIDE] Flashing rom Using Miflash, both are in the first page of Mi2 forum.

Root is only required to few applications or tweaks but not for Play Store to work.

Please use the search tool, read the guides and ROM's pages to know more about your device. All the information that you need it's already there, so make yourself free to use.

You'd agree that booting in in safe mode and getting the android on its back means its pretty definitely a fake then?

jamespatrickgrant

Did you at least try to read the thread that I mention in the latest post?

Please make use of the resources already available in the forum before you ask (AKA: search before post) ;)

Reactions: Animor
jamespatrickgrant

If it's a fake one, you should return to the store, get your money back and buy and original Xiaomi phone. Because if you try to replace there you probably will get another fake one.

Probably kinda tough to do that when you've already left the country.

Ibuygou.com is where it's at.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI2S