Stuck on 'device is locked' - no sim, no wifi connectivity

richyxiaomi

Members
Feb 1, 2020
Hi xiaomi community,

Background context:
Over the past few days, the sim connectivity was cutting in and out. Phone would restart after a while when the sim went grey or a cross with no sim detected. My best guess was something was happening with the Sim connection service, and as soon as it failed, my phone would reboot, and the phone would no longer read the sim. Thought it was a sim issue, so re-ordered a sim from my provider. Same issue persisted even with new sim.

Currently:
So I thought to do a fresh install. I have just fresh-installed 'xiaomi.eu_multi_MI8_V11.0.6.0.QEACNXM_v11-10' using TWRP on my phone Xiaomi Mi 8, following all the steps like format data and factory reset. However, I'm stuck on 'this device is locked' part. I have full access to my mi account and know my password. However, I cannot connect to the internet.

The sim isn't reading and it's not letting me connect to wifi. The WLAN slider is grey, and when I tap to turn WLAN on, it gets stuck at 'turning WLAN on', then fails and WLAN remains off. I accidently deleted the phone in 'my connected device' in mi cloud, is that the issue? My sim is also the same one I'm using that has the phone number associated with the account.

I'm stuck as how to proceed when I have the full mi account, but the phone is not reading the sim, or allowing me to access wifi. I have also tried installing the same ROM again, and other ROMS as well such as flashing the stable Chinese Mi 8 ROM and the stable Global Mi 8 ROM, all with the same issue; I get stuck on 'device is locked' with no sim and no wifi connectivity.

Help would be much appreciated. Richard.

Edit/Updates:

I'm sure it's a software issue now. My device has no valid device ID. I have lost the IMEI and thus cannot use sim or wifi.

Last edited:
Hi xiaomi community,

Background context:
Over the past few days, the sim connectivity was cutting in and out. Phone would restart after a while when the sim went grey or a cross with no sim detected. My best guess was something was happening with the Sim connection service, and as soon as it failed, my phone would reboot, and the phone would no longer read the sim. Thought it was a sim issue, so re-ordered a sim from my provider. Same issue persisted even with new sim.

Currently:
So I thought to do a fresh install. I have just fresh-installed 'xiaomi.eu_multi_MI8_V11.0.6.0.QEACNXM_v11-10' using TWRP on my phone Xiaomi Mi 8, following all the steps like format data and factory reset. However, I'm stuck on 'this device is locked' part. I have full access to my mi account and know my password. However, I cannot connect to the internet.

The sim isn't reading and it's not letting me connect to wifi. The WLAN slider is grey, and when I tap to turn WLAN on, it gets stuck at 'turning WLAN on', then fails and WLAN remains off. I accidently deleted the phone in 'my connected device' in mi cloud, is that the issue? My sim is also the same one I'm using that has the phone number associated with the account.

I'm stuck as how to proceed when I have the full mi account, but the phone is not reading the sim, or allowing me to access wifi. I have also tried installing the same ROM again, and other ROMS as well such as flashing the stable Chinese Mi 8 ROM and the stable Global Mi 8 ROM, all with the same issue; I get stuck on 'device is locked' with no sim and no wifi connectivity.

Help would be much appreciated. Richard.
It seems like to be a phone operator locked via IMEI, or hardware failure.
Did you buy it 100% genuine and sealed box?

It seems like to be a phone operator locked via IMEI, or hardware failure.
Did you buy it 100% genuine and sealed box?

Yes, I brought it in China at a genuine Xiaomi store. I have full access to the mi account and have retained my purchase barcode and IMEI details. What does phone operator locked via IMEI mean? I have tried the sim on another phone, and it works perfectly. I have also just called the xiaomi number in China, and they have said they do not lock the sim or wifi of phones.

Yes, I brought it in China at a genuine Xiaomi store. I have full access to the mi account and have retained my purchase barcode and IMEI details. What does phone operator locked via IMEI mean? I have tried the sim on another phone, and it works perfectly. I have also just called the xiaomi number in China, and they have said they do not lock the sim or wifi of phones.
Phone Operator can block imei for stolen phone. it's not your case.
can't help you more. sorry

The sim lock would not break wifi.
What I would do is flashing lastest fastboot rom via Miflash for cleaning up everything without relock.
If it doesn't help - no idea.

The sim lock would not break wifi.
What I would do is flashing lastest fastboot rom via Miflash for cleaning up everything without relock.
If it doesn't help - no idea.

Would this restore persist and efs partitions? I have a feeling they're corrupt, and that's why my wifi and sim cards aren't working.

Would this restore persist and efs partitions? I have a feeling they're corrupt, and that's why my wifi and sim cards aren't working.
That's exactly the reason why I gave you the advice. Everything is restored to stock conditions. If it works then, you can go on.
If not - your hardware is the problem...

That's exactly the reason why I gave you the advice. Everything is restored to stock conditions. If it works then, you can go on.
If not - your hardware is the problem...

Ok. I've definitely done a clean flashboot of both the Global and China Roms already. And still no sim or wifi. So I'll bring it to the shop tomorrow and see. Thanks.