To Unlock Or Not?

Rolph Muller

Members
Dec 7, 2016
I was running the eu rom on my old, now broken phone - which was supplied incidentally with a vendor rom and therefore already unlocked. I have a couple or three questions.

My new phone came with the global stable rom. I have the unlocking permission but had to move to global dev rom before unlocking. I was about to unlock when I read the dire warning that fingerprint unlocking may no longer work. Anyone had problems here?

I have followed the eu roms postings for a while, but can't remember if a full wipe is required to move from Global dev rom to eu weekly - pretty sure it is but if someone would confirm I'd be grateful. It's a MiMax2 by the way.

Finally, the Global dev rom does not pass SafetyNet. But my bank apps work fine which is all I'm concerned about, I thought they would not work. Is this surprising or not?

Thanks

I was running the eu rom on my old, now broken phone - which was supplied incidentally with a vendor rom and therefore already unlocked. I have a couple or three questions.

My new phone came with the global stable rom. I have the unlocking permission but had to move to global dev rom before unlocking. I was about to unlock when I read the dire warning that fingerprint unlocking may no longer work. Anyone had problems here?

I have followed the eu roms postings for a while, but can't remember if a full wipe is required to move from Global dev rom to eu weekly - pretty sure it is but if someone would confirm I'd be grateful. It's a MiMax2 by the way.

Finally, the Global dev rom does not pass SafetyNet. But my bank apps work fine which is all I'm concerned about, I thought they would not work. Is this surprising or not?

Thanks

- Working. I think is a standard warning

- yes full wipe necessary. You will lose all your data

- Same here. not all banking apps doing it. You can use magickmak to bypass the root (make it invisible). I had this problem with snapchat. with magicmask is resolved it

Good luck

- Same here. not all banking apps doing it. You can use magickmak to bypass the root (make it invisible). I had this problem with snapchat. with magicmask is resolved it

Good luck

Good luck
Well I unlocked and within 24 hours my fingerprint did not work. Mind you, could have been coincidence. In any case I'm back on the eu. rom and all is fine!

Hi Rolph,
I do not have any experience with MiMax2, but i unlocked sucessfully Mi6, Mi5, Redme Note4 (MTK) and Redme 4x an no problems with Fingerprint.
Savety Net will fail if you root the phone, otherwise it should pass on all Xiaomi.eu ROMS.
For any ROM change ( developer to stable, stable to eu and other versions) i would recommend a backup of all data and a complete data partition format in TWRP to avoid problems.

Hi Rolph,
I do not have any experience with MiMax2, but i unlocked sucessfully Mi6, Mi5, Redme Note4 (MTK) and Redme 4x an no problems with Fingerprint.
Savety Net will fail if you root the phone, otherwise it should pass on all Xiaomi.eu ROMS.
For any ROM change ( developer to stable, stable to eu and other versions) i would recommend a backup of all data and a complete data partition format in TWRP to avoid problems.
Couldn't agree more. The pain is in resetting the apps where re authoritarian has to be obtained, as in many banking apps, etc. - especially since I had to do it a couple of days earlier as well. Just takes time. Only problem I had moving to the eu rom on this occasion was I couldn't flash the rom using fastboot commands. Got an error message. Did it via TWR in the end.

There is a nice thread on howtogeek about the risks of unlocking the bootloader on

htg-explains-the-security-risks-of-unlocking-your-android-phones-bootloader

sorry no permission to post links (just copy paste the above in google)

I have 4 xiaomi phones (Mi 5, Mi 5s, Mi 6) in my family with unlocked bootloader running twrp with xiaomi.eu.

I have no problems with the fingerprint-scanners