Unbiding the Xiaomi account in used phone while keeping updates

Roqq34

Members
Oct 16, 2018
Hello,
I recently bought a used Note 3 with ROM MIUI 8.9.20 (weekly). I would like to unbide the old owner's account from the phone, which seems pretty straightforward by using Settings/Mi account/Sign out.
My question is whether I will be still able to update the ROM version by using "Updater" once I do it or I would be forced to register a MI account and pair it somehow with Xiaomi EU update services?

Thank you

Hello,
I recently bought a used Note 3 with ROM MIUI 8.9.20 (weekly). I would like to unbide the old owner's account from the phone, which seems pretty straightforward by using Settings/Mi account/Sign out.
My question is whether I will be still able to update the ROM version by using "Updater" once I do it or I would be forced to register a MI account and pair it somehow with Xiaomi EU update services?

Thank you

You do not have to have a Mi account at all to get updates.
Wi wife ran her Mi Note 3 without a Mi account for about 6 months with no problems.
Of course, you cannot use any of the services in Mi Cloud.

The previous owner can easily remove your phone from his Mi account, at a distance, on any other Xiaomi phone that he has registered to the same account.
If he has another Xiaomi phone, of course.

He goes to Settings/Mi Account/Account Security/Devices/Other devices
Your phone should appear there, he just selects it and gets the opportunity to remove it.

Of course, when I tried this just now to check, I get a message "Can't get devices, server error"