Updating Xiaomi mi 11 miui 13 to 14

I logged in, I don't have a google backup. I was only able to restore contacts and notes through xiaomi account.
Noted.
when I tried to restore a backup from twrp, I missed the authorization in Google, and there was always a bootloop. now that i'm logged into google, can this work? copy the backup to the phone again for a very long time to check and get the bootloop again. does it make sense?
Noted.
I don't have root, but I don't think it's a problem.
But I don't quite understand. I can only use a clean phone, so there are no backup files. or SwiftBackup can recognize my backup when i made in twrp?
No. No. No.

You are getting me all wrong mate.

You have a full TWRP backup correct?
Its saved somewhere apart from your phone correct? - Maybe USB or your destop.

Step 1 - BACKUP

Copy the TWRP backup to your clean phone.
Now restore the TWRP backup.
Reboot to system.

You have a working phone now with apps + app data + personal documents/pictures/music/movies.

If you enable Google backup now and take a backup.
More than likely Google will only backup your apps but not your app data. Very sure of this.
So this is sort of pointless for you but atleast Google has a backup of your apps -- good to have.

Now root your phone -- i say this because SwiftBackup has to have root to work.
Install SwiftBackup and backup your apps + app data + media (for certain apps if necessary) + text messages/SMS + Phone Call history + Saved Wifi networks.
Copy the whole SwiftBackup folder to your desktop.

Now also copy the Camera, Documents, Music, Movies, Videos, Download folders on your phon to your desktop.

The main purpose to do the above is so that you have your SwiftBackup files + Personal folders on your desktop.

Step 2 - Prepare ROOT for the new ROM you will install later

Copy the boot.img from images folder of the new ROM to your phone
Using Magisk, patch this new boot.img.
Magisk will output the patch_boot.img file.
Copy this patch_boot.img to your desktop as well.

Step 3 - Install new ROM

Now go ahead and install the custom xiaomi.eu ROM (first time clean install).
Reboot into system.
Copy the patch_boot.img to your phone from your desktop.

Reboot into TWRP and Install the "patch_boot.img".
Select "boot" as the partition -- also check the checkbox to flash this to both slots (if your phone has both slots).

Reboot to system.

Now you have your phone (clean) w/ new ROM + Rooted.

You can take a TWRP backup now if you want and leave it on your phone or copy it to your desktop as this backup will be with new ROM + rooted + clean phone.

Step 4 - RESTORING

Copy the SwiftBackup folder to the root of your phone.
Copy the personal folders to your phone as well (carefully).

Install SwiftBackup and now restore all the apps + app data + media + text messages/SMS + Phone Call history + Saved Wifi networks.

Reboot into TWRP and go to Advanced to do a Wipe Dalvik cache.
Reboot into System and hopefully you will have your phone w/ new ROM with all your apps + app data.
You should be good to go.

You can go ahead and restore to original boot image from Magisk and even uninstall Magisk now if you like....
so that your phone is not rooted and might now save you issues with some of your banking apps.

In the case that some apps might fail to load or crash, just Clear Data for that app and launch the app again.

CONCLUSION:

I am basically asking you to restore your TWRP backup so that you have a working phone (though in pre-clean state)
and then using SwiftBackup to take the backup of your apps + app data + media + etc. and save it in its (SwiftBackup) format.
TWRP is good only for full backup and restore.

Hope this helps.

• Wow
Reactions: JiaiJ
dude, thanks for wasting your time on me, but you didn't hear me. I use google translate, sorry if i explained something wrong.
You have a full TWRP backup correct?
Its saved somewhere apart from your phone correct? - Maybe USB or your destop.
Yes, I have full twrp backup on my desctop. But its not working.
Copy the TWRP backup to your clean phone.
Now restore the TWRP backup.
Reboot to system.
I tried to do this already 5 or 6 times and always the same thing happens.
when i reboot after twrp restore, i can't boot the system. The phone tries to boot the system, and reboots TWRP again.
Twrp log says "crash rescue party". Maybe my backup is damaged, I don't know. but when I created the backup, there were no errors.

dude, thanks for wasting your time on me, but you didn't hear me. I use google translate, sorry if i explained something wrong.

Yes, I have full twrp backup on my desctop. But its not working.

I tried to do this already 5 or 6 times and always the same thing happens.
when i reboot after twrp restore, i can't boot the system. The phone tries to boot the system, and reboots TWRP again.
Twrp log says "crash rescue party". Maybe my backup is damaged, I don't know. but when I created the backup, there were no errors.
Gotcha now mate.
Yes your backup might be corrupted somehow

Then do a clean install of whatever ROM you need.

And then reboot to TWRP and take a new backup. Let's call this backup 'New' -- just to keep as backup for future use as this is a clean backup.

Now restore only the data partition from your old TWRP backup.

You will need to install your apps manually I guess since you didn't have Google backup enabled earlier.

If that works it works. Else there is nothing one can do.

If things don't seem right after this restore of data partition (maybe bootloop or whatever), then go to recovery and wipe the data partition clean. Clear Dalvik cache. Reboot into system.

For future use, maybe you can root your phone and use SwiftBackup instead to backup your apps + app data.

I have had very good luck with SwiftBackup honestly.

--
Sent from my Mi 11 Ultra (star)

Now restore only the data partition from your old TWRP backup.
of course, I tried to restore only the date partition, but everything repeats, as I wrote above.

I was told that I could try Titanium Backup. it should have a restore function from a twrp backup. but I spent too much time on it, I have no strength anymore.

I just don't understand what went wrong in the beginning? I couldn't make a mistake because it's a simple operation and I've done it many times before.
when I asked "can I upgrade without losing data" and got the answer "yes", I didn't even think about making backups in advance.
if I got the answer "yes, but there may be problems", then I probably would use SwiftBackup or something else before the update.

of course, I tried to restore only the date partition, but everything repeats, as I wrote above.

I was told that I could try Titanium Backup. it should have a restore function from a twrp backup. but I spent too much time on it, I have no strength anymore.

I just don't understand what went wrong in the beginning? I couldn't make a mistake because it's a simple operation and I've done it many times before.
when I asked "can I upgrade without losing data" and got the answer "yes", I didn't even think about making backups in advance.
if I got the answer "yes, but there may be problems", then I probably would use SwiftBackup or something else before the update.
Always take a full backup !!!
I don't do TWRP backups but isn't there a way to verify the backup or something within TWRP ?

yes you can upgrade without data wipe and I usually haven't faced an issue tbh.

Titanium backup is outdated.
I had the Pro version of it but I don't use it anymore.

SwiftBackup is def what I would recommend.

--

Reactions: Vlado777
Always take a full backup !!!
now i got it:confused:
I don't do TWRP backups but isn't there a way to verify the backup or something within TWRP ?
It seems I can only restore or delete.

Titanium backup is outdated.
I know, but this feature should still work. I no longer hope to get my data back, but maybe I'll try to do it later.

SwiftBackup is def what I would recommend.
Yes, I heard you, thanks for the recommendation! Do you happen to work for this company?:D

now i got it:confused:

It seems I can only restore or delete.

I think it's an option when you are taking a backup. Maybe next time verify with checksum.

I know, but this feature should still work. I no longer hope to get my data back, but maybe I'll try to do it later.

Good luck

Yes, I heard you, thanks for the recommendation! Do you happen to work for this company?:D

I found this humorous.
It's just a fantastic app !!

--