Upgrade From 8.0 To 82

Nic P

Members
Mar 14, 2017
Hello, I have a 5s unlocked running EU image 8.0.10.0 stable.
I see that 8.2 has come out but under Updates it says "No updates available".
How could I upgrade to 8.2 without wiping the phone and lose all my data?
Thank you.

I'm on 8.3, why don't you go to the latest 7.3.9?

Dirty flash it on top (Flash it on top without doing anything).

Make sure you fully download the ROM and you can wipe cache if you feel to but it's recommended.

I cannot see 8.3 under the section for stables images?
If I wait a bit longer, will I get the upgrade OTA?
Thank you

To upgrade from 8.0 to 8.2 stable, open the updater app and choose the option Choose Update Package. Select your downloaded 8.2 package and then the phone will reboot into your recovery and upgrade to 8.2

To upgrade from 8.0 to 8.2 stable, open the updater app and choose the option Choose Update Package. Select your downloaded 8.2 package and then the phone will reboot into your recovery and upgrade to 8.2
bootloader needs to be unlocked?

Thank you all, I'm now running 8.2.2 and I understand how to upgrade it every time. Roll on Nougat :)

so for any xiaomi.eu rom I need to unlock, correct?

Is it way better then original 8.04 stable? Or is not
By stable do you mean Xiaomis own ROM? 8.04 never existed for the Mi5s. If your MIUI version says 8.04 then you have a vendor rom. Often when you have a vendor ROM, the bootloader has already been unlocked by the vendor.
But to answer your question yes you can lock the bootloader again (not that you need to) if you install Xiaomis own global or China ROMs.

By stable do you mean Xiaomis own ROM? 8.04 never existed for the Mi5s. If your MIUI version says 8.04 then you have a vendor rom. Often when you have a vendor ROM, the bootloader has already been unlocked by the vendor.
But to answer your question yes you can lock the bootloader again (not that you need to) if you install Xiaomis own global or China ROMs.

Global stable for Mi 5S plus is V8.0,.4

http://en.miui.com/download-315.html

My bootloader is locked, although I have received the SMS, from MIUI, that I can unlock it

Ohh cool, you have a link with the instructions for that?

Will I need to wipe the phone?

Basically the choice are

a) from 8.04 stable - unlock bootloader - flash Miui Developer - lock bootloader - then flash new Miui developer when are coming out
Questions:
will I need to wipe the phone?
can the bootloader continue to be locked when I upgrade Miui developer ROM?

b) from 8.04 stable - unlock bootloader - flash global Xiaomi.eu - lock bootloader - then flash nuew Xiaomi.eu ROM when are available
Questions:
can the bootloader continue to be locked when I upgrade xiaomi.eu ROM?

I prefer to relock bootloader just to be more secure

Basically the choice are

a) from 8.04 stable - unlock bootloader - flash Miui Developer - lock bootloader - then flash new Miui developer when are coming out
Questions:
can the bootloader continue to be locked when I upgrade Miui developer ROM?

b) from 8.04 stable - unlock bootloader - flash global Xiaomi.eu - lock bootloader - then flash nuew Xiaomi.eu ROM when are available
Questions:
can the bootloader continue to be locked when I upgrade xiaomi.eu ROM?

I prefer to relock bootloader just to be more secure
If you're worried about security then you can choose to leave the system partition read only rather than read write. Twrp recovery usually asks you this question when you use it for the first time (after you've unlocked the bootloader and installed it). This will ensure that e.g. banking apps that have security checking still accept your device to run (assuming you don't want root access).

You'll need to wipe the phone to put the xiaomi.eu ROM on but won't need to wipe when you install a newer version of the xiaomi.eu ROM.

Once you've unlocked the bootloader you will need the miflash tool on a pc to flash the device via usb. If you have a locked bootloader you cannot put Xiaomi.eu ROM on your phone (somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that point!) as you need a custom recovery (twrp) to install the Xiaomi.eu ROM and that requires an unlocked bootloader.

If you're worried about security then you can choose to leave the system partition read only rather than read write. Twrp recovery usually asks you this question when you use it for the first time (after you've unlocked the bootloader and installed it). This will ensure that e.g. banking apps that have security checking still accept your device to run (assuming you don't want root access).

You'll need to wipe the phone to put the xiaomi.eu ROM on but won't need to wipe when you install a newer version of the xiaomi.eu ROM.

Once you've unlocked the bootloader you will need the miflash tool on a pc to flash the device via usb. If you have a locked bootloader you cannot put Xiaomi.eu ROM on your phone (somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that point!) as you need a custom recovery (twrp) to install the Xiaomi.eu ROM and that requires an unlocked bootloader.
Thanks I do not want to wipe,

so if I do this I do not need to wipe, correct?

a) from 8.04 stable - unlock bootloader - flash Miui Developer - lock bootloader - then flash new Miui developer when are

As far as i know if you're moving from a xiaomi ROM to a xiaomi.eu ROM then you need to wipe (someone correct me if I'm wrong here!).
If you really don't want to wipe or unlock your bootloader then best just stay with xiaomis own ROM where you are now.

but if I want to update from 8.0.4 global to latest glodal developer, maybe no need to unlock bootloader?

I tried now from

stable v8.0.4
to latest v8.2 7.3.16

but updater program says this ROM is OLDER then mine .. but is not, is the newest rom available?????????????