Video playback and recording hangs after SD card installation

anoutsos

Members
Nov 6, 2023
I recently purchased a Sandisk 1TB Micro SDXC (Class 10) to use in an old Redmi Note 8T (EU Android 12.5.5). The phone is solely used as a music player. I formatted the card as External, using the phone. After some effort, I copied all my music (~550GB) to the card, and I have been using it to stream it to my external USB DAC (with UAPP). However, I started noticing that after a while the phone stops playing videos from either the internal or SD memory. No matter what player I use (VLC, etc.), the videos wouldn't start playing (the VLC logo keeps spinning). Also, at the same time, if I tried to record a video using the Camera app, it would hang. The only remedy is to either eject the SD card or reboot the phone. However, it only works temporarily again after that; the phone stops being able to start playing videos. The music playback through UAPP seems fine so far (although I need to test it over longer periods). Very oddly, one particular video (of the tens I have) plays back normally every time, without issues. All the rest (and they are all similar format mp4, avi, flv) stop working after some time. As I say above, all videos work for a short while after reboot. It is driving me crazy!
Does anyone know what may be going on? I don't understand why it only affects video playback/recording. I have set the camera to record to the internal memory, not to the SD card. Other files, such as images, open up normally without issues.
Thanks