Warranty on root? Mi 10 Lite 5G

jkomets

Members
Dec 4, 2020
Hi all,

I recently bought the Mi 10 Lite 5G and I'm very happy with it except one thing, which is that unlocking the phone dismisses notifications on the lock screen. I use those notifications as a reminder to respond later and sometimes I need to unlock the phone before I can respond to all the notifications.

I found an option using CustoMIUIzer to keep said notifications until I actually dismiss them. I'd need to root with Magisk and install EdXposed Framework, and I was wondering what kind of effect that has on my warranty. Motorola (my previous phone manufacturer) is very strict. As soon as you apply for the unlock code the warranty is gone.

Thanks!

Thanks for your response. I figured the warranty is not saveable. Is there a way to unroot without leaving any traces? Flashing Magisk seems to be possible without unlocking the bootloader.

Thanks for your response. I figured the warranty is not saveable. Is there a way to unroot without leaving any traces? Flashing Magisk seems to be possible without unlocking the bootloader.
Unlocking the bootloader is something you're free to do, that alone does not void the warranty as far as Xiaomi is concerned (and I highly doubt that rooting the phone will).
If you were to send the phone back for a repair or something like that, all you need to do is just perform a clean flash of stock MIUI to erase any traces of Magisk (factory reset alone won't do). Xiaomi is not Samsung with their KNOX nonsense.

You can look up official information regarding unlocking etc and make up your own mind about Xiaomi's stance on the matter -> source (redirected from here).
Isn't locking bootloader against Mi's 'geek' spirit?
Locking bootloader is aimed to provide a better user experience, which we've been trying to do the whole time. In the meantime, we've provided an unlocking tool for senior users who know their ways around flashing and tweaking their devices.

The unlocking procedure will need Internet access to get the unlocking password. Also, the Mi Account logged in on the Mi phone and the unlocking tool needs to be the same. Otherwise, the unlocking request will be denied. This will ensure that ill-intentioned people will not get access to your personal data.

Reactions: Poney70
I'm glad to hear all that. I did some research on my own and have made the same findings regarding the warranty.

Unlocking seems to be pretty straightforward. I also researched flashing Magisk without a custom recovery and it seems to be impossible, but that's not a very big deal. I'll just have to set up the phone again.