What's Up With The Note 4's Camera?

Henricus

Members
Sep 21, 2016
I recently bought the Note 4 in China and in general I like the phone. What I do not get is the mediocre pictures that it produces. The white balance does not function right. The images are way too dark and with indoor shots the images tend to have a blue cast too them. I have tried to change the settings but did not succeed in getting normal colors with this phone. I went back to the store and compared them to the other xiaomis, only the note 4's have this problem. Did anyone find a way to change the settings to get better results?

Last edited:
The Xiaomi salesmen confirmed it.. He changed the white balance to fluorescent then it was better. 'Better get MI5' he said..

That's a software problem then. If I put the camera on manual mode and switch it to"artifical light" (the lightbulb), the picture get's totally blue, that's true. In all my photos the automatic mode worked really fine for me until now.
I am using the stock camera app of the 6.9.22 xiaomi.eu ROM.

The Xiaomi salesmen confirmed it.. He changed the white balance to fluorescent then it was better. 'Better get MI5' he said..
Yes, I am sure he confirmed it. I wonder why. . . Come on , boys , just wait for software update .

No such problem here with my Resume Note 4, yes the camera tends to do less well in darker environments. But in general has no problem producing clear pictures.

I also had the problem with the blue in the pictures. I have updated the rom and the problem is gone.

I have both Note 4 and Nexus 6. The camera is clearly inferior compared to the 2 year old Nexus 6. I regret not buying Redmi Pro instead.

What software version are these complaints about? It was well publicised that there was a software problem in the camera in the early versions of Miui 8 on the RN4 but it has been fixed for a while now... So if you still have a problem tell us the rom version you are running and show us the problem....

What software version are these complaints about? It was well publicised that there was a software problem in the camera in the early versions of Miui 8 on the RN4 but it has been fixed for a while now... So if you still have a problem tell us the rom version you are running and show us the problem....
Im on xiaomi.eu 6.9.29. The quality of photos is really mediocre.

Im on xiaomi.eu 6.9.29. The quality of photos is really mediocre.
Have you done a clean install of the Rom with a full wipe before installing? I have found that it makes a big difference to speed and performance and the camera. Also keep in mind the camera does not perform well in low light unless your subject is close enough to the led flash.

Have you done a clean install of the Rom with a full wipe before installing? I have found that it makes a big difference to speed and performance and the camera. Also keep in mind the camera does not perform well in low light unless your subject is close enough to the led flash.
Yes, it was a clean installation. Still bad photo quality. GSM-arena claim that the camera on Note 3 Pro is better. I have had both Note 3 Pro and Mi Max and I feel that photos from the rear camera are slightly better on these two devices. I seems like Xiaomi used the same sensor (S5K3M2) on Note 4 as they did one Note 3 (MTK-version) which is disappointing.