Where to begin?

Death259

Members
Mar 1, 2011
Premise: I'm wanting to try to port this to the Samsung Epic 4g (SGS). I've worked with Java/C# and other OOP languages before and i do C# daily for my job, so i can program if that is needed.

That being said, I was hoping any of you could point me in the right direction as to where to begin to port this over. I read through this thread and from what i gathered from that it is starting with an already started port. I'm wanting to take base MIUI and have a go at it. This way i am not dependent upon another developer. If, however, i can use another person's work once, and from there on out not need to grab something from someone else's work (excluding translation updates, etc.) then I'm all for not re-inventing the wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Also, i know that someone has already started development of this for the Epic 4g, that developer is taking on 4 different roms currently, and i would like to be able to provide people the latest and greatest MIUI for the epic faster than he might be able to with 4 project overhead.

Hows this going? Im getting ready to get an epic and was hoping that MIUI would be ready soon hahaha. Once I get my epic I will be willing to help you test things out if need be. As far as where to start you might want to try and PM some of the devs who are already working on the other phones and asked how they started.

Hows this going? Im getting ready to get an epic and was hoping that MIUI would be ready soon hahaha. Once I get my epic I will be willing to help you test things out if need be. As far as where to start you might want to try and PM some of the devs who are already working on the other phones and asked how they started.

Lol, well i gave up on asking any users here for help. I PM'ed one person who was heading up the EVO development, and never got a response, asked on the IRC and no one was a developer on there (at the time i checked). I instead just went back to XDA and got the current developer to help me out some. There is an already released version of the MIUI on the EPIC, but it's definately got its problems. The main developer is on vacation for a while. I've been trying to look into things, but i have not been able to really do anything. Trying to code in assembly is like learning russian... it's a lot different. So far, the work is promising from ahmgsk and he seems to know what he is doing and i bet will get it all figured out whenever he can.

Hey how different is the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 compared to the epic? I noticed there is a team working on the i9000 and if they get it going maybe that will help with the epic

Hey how different is the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 compared to the epic? I noticed there is a team working on the i9000 and if they get it going maybe that will help with the epic

From what i understand there is enough of a difference to make it hard to go from one to the other when porting roms.

Isnt the fascinate similar to the Epic? I was browsing there forum over on XDA and it looks like they are making some good progress on there port of MIUI http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=948840

The fascinate is a lot more similar to the Epic as opposed to the i9000 or the captivate. The biggest hurdle I've run into, just looking at this is the fact that a lot of the work has to be done in assembly, which I've never even looked at before. ahmgsk appears to be back from his vacation, so i'm sure he will just get things fixed in no time :)