Where to start?!

Nov 18, 2011
Guys and gals,

I used to code but have not done it for ages, and I have just got an HP Touchpad, and I would like to try modding Miui to run on it.

Can anyone point me to where I go to learn how to code Android for other devices? I've been looking around but not found any good tutorials!

Thanks,

Tim

Learning Android

Hey man!

that's some question your'e asking.
the best place to start your "language course" for android would be:

Installing a linux computer and getting along with it's terminal and functionality beyond the shell
the best choice would be Debian, but the more user-friendly version called "Ubuntu" is fine to.
why linux? well easy. android is more or less a Linux system. the things you run into android can also be problems experienced on these Linux systems.

checking out http://developer.android.com/index.html read the files, check the video's and reffrences. Learn to know the big puzzle before you make your own system

the funny one:
experiment with your phone in the SDK (make virtual devices). try to crash the system on many ways. this will learn you how it all actualy works in visualised reality.

BUT UNIX, LINUX OR ANDROID FOR THAT MATHER ARE LIKE LANGUAGES. DON'T EXPECT YOUR RESULTS TO BE SUPER FROM THE BEGINNING. KEEP IN MIND THAT DIFFRENT SCHOOLS AROUND THE PLANET ARE OPENING COURSES AND PROFFESIONS THAT TAKE AT LEAST 4 YEARS TO LEARN AND EVEN MORE TIME TO KEEP UP-TO-DATE SINCE UNIX IS A SYSTEM THAT HAS BEEN A REVOLUTION FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS

Hey man!

that's some question your'e asking.
the best place to start your "language course" for android would be:

Installing a linux computer and getting along with it's terminal and functionality beyond the shell
the best choice would be Debian, but the more user-friendly version called "Ubuntu" is fine to.
why linux? well easy. android is more or less a Linux system. the things you run into android can also be problems experienced on these Linux systems.

checking out http://developer.android.com/index.html read the files, check the video's and reffrences. Learn to know the big puzzle before you make your own system

the funny one:
experiment with your phone in the SDK (make virtual devices). try to crash the system on many ways. this will learn you how it all actualy works in visualised reality.

BUT UNIX, LINUX OR ANDROID FOR THAT MATHER ARE LIKE LANGUAGES. DON'T EXPECT YOUR RESULTS TO BE SUPER FROM THE BEGINNING. KEEP IN MIND THAT DIFFRENT SCHOOLS AROUND THE PLANET ARE OPENING COURSES AND PROFFESIONS THAT TAKE AT LEAST 4 YEARS TO LEARN AND EVEN MORE TIME TO KEEP UP-TO-DATE SINCE UNIX IS A SYSTEM THAT HAS BEEN A REVOLUTION FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS

Great start thanks, I'm a Linux user anyway and ex Unix sys admin, but that was a few years back! I'm a Debian man most the time, floats my boat just great ;)

I'm not thinking in a short time I'll be able to do things, but you have to start somewhere, and life without challenge is no life at all ;)

You see lots of instructions on how to modify an existing ROM or change facets of it using soup kitchens, rather than taking the ISC (for example) source and building from scratch for a device. It's going to be an 'out of interest' project initially, and if it goes well I'll start posting things (fingers crossed!) but there's probably a while before I get there!

Thanks.