Which Software?

LukedaDuke

Members
Feb 2, 2017
Hello,
my Redmi Pro (3 RAM/64 ROM) is on its way from Geekbuying Spain to me.

Software is Multilingual and as follows:
XIAOMI REDMI PRO HELIO X20 – HELIO X25 MIUI 8 ANDROID 6.0 SMARTPHONE FIRMWARE 212302 161109

I guess this is a so called Shop-ROM.
If yes, I don't want this.

So I am thinking of flashing - either this ROM from here or the Original Xiaomi ROM (I don't have a problem with english)

I want Updates in the future and a stable phone, what would you recommend? Is the ROM from here stable? Is the phone rooted then? I want to play Pokemon Go on it so thats important for me!

I am eager to being a part of Xiaomi, I hope you can help me!

Regards
Lukas

The ROM from here is stable and I have no issues with it ( aside from problems that exist in the official ROMs such as poor camera performance etc)

There's no root so if you want that you will have to apply that yourself.

Updates are currently weekly or you can get " stable" ROMs both seem fine though ( I use weekly)

You'll get lots of updates if you choose to use xioami EU ROM, after you set up the ROM initially it's just a case of downloading the updates manually and then applying them through the stock software update app.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

So would you prefer the Xiaomi.eu ROM over the official ROM (Eng/Chinese) with Playstore sideloaded?

Thank you!

So would you prefer the Xiaomi.eu ROM over the official ROM (Eng/Chinese) with Playstore sideloaded?

Personally yes, the English in the Chinese ROM isn't great and a lot of UI elements remain in Chinese, especially certain setting menus etc

So if proper language support is essential the xioami EU ROM is pretty much a must.

If you can read Chinese though the official ROM is probably your best bet as you can get updates over the air and all that good stuff. The official ROM is full of bloat ware as well though so that may affect your decision.

Reactions: Morvarid
There are no different between EU ROM with the Official one, Just deleted Chinese useless apps and have Europe Languages, you can download Developer ROM and edit it by yourself with Kitchen and some other things to add language,your desired apps and delete what else you want.
But be sure that there is no BASIC/Fundamental difference between Official ROM an the EU ROM

There are no different between EU ROM with the Official one, Just deleted Chinese useless apps and have Europe Languages, you can download Developer ROM and edit it by yourself with Kitchen and some other things to add language,your desired apps and delete what else you want.
But be sure that there is no BASIC/Fundamental difference between Official ROM an the EU ROM
What about all this stuff?

"
  • Blurred statusbar and notification shade (MIUI 7)
  • Enabled search in statusbar
  • Enabled search gesture (swipe up) on the desktop
  • Enabled MiDrive in File Explorer
  • Added landscape mode for SMS app
  • Sunrise/Sunset in the weather app
  • Google apps support integrated
  • Importing theme from zhuti.xiaomi.com via ThemeManager
  • No useless Chinese bloatware apps
  • More free RAM due to less background processes
  • Unified flat style app icons for both system and 3rd party apps (eg. Play Store icon flat too, unlike official global MIUI)
  • Advanced menu with color icons (not just text like in official MIUI releases)
  • No any Chinese character under the full system
  • Mi Video, Mi Music, Mi Radio, Mi Browser: No any useless Chinese content
  • No possibility to re-lock bootloader accidentally with flash any xiaomi.eu release
  • Added real 26 languages translation made by Official MIUI Fansites and MIUI Fans
  • Added Phone swipe to the right gesture on the lockscreen
  • Added EU T9 dialer support
  • Added charging sound switch
  • Added Spell Checker switch
  • Game speed boost mode
  • Added Screen-OFF animation
  • Optimized GPS settings for EU
  • Optimized Battery consumption
  • Optimized RAM consumption
  • Added Game Speed Boost
  • Added OIS calibration for MI5
  • Deodexed
  • And more, and more made by our 5 years MIUI mods experience.."
At least 15 of them are modifications beyond simply removing bloat ware and adding languages.

Ok sounds, good, I will take the ROM from here! Do I have to unlock the Bootloader to flash it?

Regards

Ok sounds, good, I will take the ROM from here! Do I have to unlock the Bootloader to flash it?

Regards

In theory your bootloader should already be unlocked as otherwise how would they install the "fake" rom.

That means you should be able to flash twrp and then flash a miui euro rom straight away.

Probably best to assume it's not and flash an official rom and then do twrp etc though.

I'm not sure if it would damage the phone attempting to install a twrp on a phone that isn't unlocked so it's up to you to take the risk or no.

In theory you should even be able to use the built in updater app and press the 3 dots in the top right corner and pressing choose update package and selecting the downloaded xioami eu rom, this is because these fake roms are actually based of the xioami eu roms ( you can check this by going into settings, about phone and then pressing contributers scroll down a little bit and if you start seeing forum names instead of real names then it's a xioami eu based rom)

Ok, that would be nice! Does the Update get rid of malware then as well? Is it safe to just update over the "fake" xiaomi.eu ROM?

Ok, that would be nice! Does the Update get rid of malware then as well? Is it safe to just update over the "fake" xiaomi.eu ROM?
The malware people reportedly have on these fake roms do share file names with the real files so again in theory they should be over written and be safe.

How ever if you have any doubts do the longer harder way as that way you'll have peace of mind :)

Hi Joseph!
Thanks for your help, I indeed have a xiaomi.eu ROM on it:
8.0.7.0 (LXKCNMA)
Is that a stable Xiaomi.eu ROM version? Can I just flas the newest stable or weekly over it?

Hi Joseph!
Thanks for your help, I indeed have a xiaomi.eu ROM on it:
8.0.7.0 (LXKCNMA)
Is that a stable Xiaomi.eu ROM version? Can I just flas the newest stable or weekly over it?

That is more recent than the one that came on my phone but it is a little outdated the current weekly is 8.1.7.19
( its very stable in my opinion) I am unsure what the current "stable" version is how ever.

Like I said in theory you should be able to download the current weekly or stable and flash it through the built in updater but I'm sure you know in practice theory doesn't always work out ( especially in computing!)

It's up to you if you want to try it but please don't try to sue me if it goes terribly wrong ha ha. I am not a rom developer I've just been flashing roms since 2010 or so I am experienced but far from. An expert.

Hope this helps :)

Have you done it? Flashed the newest over the one who came with your phone?

Where do I have to put the downloaded file?

I just scanned my device - there is no malware on it! Was I Lucky?

I didn't personally but after I flashed the Chinese developer rom I checked my bootloader status ( in developer options) and it showed my bootloader as unlocked so I theorised that these 3rd party sellers are in fact unlocking bootloader and flashing xiaomi.eu roms some modify them are make malicious changes others simply change the software ( my particular 3rd party seller was on ebay and stated explicitly that unless specifically asked not to they would be opening the phone and flashing a rom more suitable for the English market)

When ever I have flashed updates I have just downloaded them and not moved them around at all so simply selected the file in the downloads folder via the updated app)

I will try with the newest stable!
I don't want to do the whole flashing process! I will let you know if it worked or not ;)

I will try with the newest stable!
I don't want to do the whole flashing process! I will let you know if it worked or not ;)
Cool good luck!

Just incase you don't know the rom will be under HMPRO not redmi pro as natively the phone is Hongmi pro :)

No Program could find any Malware, thats good!

Tell me if i brick the Phone is there a way to save it?

Ok, please dont delete him! He is just trying to help a noob here ;)

On to new frontiers - thanks for your help!

Sorry for beeing such a noob! Do I have to unzip the downloaded package?

If not - It didn' work.

If yes - I will try to unpack it!

Sorry for beeing such a noob! Do I have to unzip the downloaded package?

If not - It didn' work.

If yes - I will try to unpack it!
No you don't have to unzip.

That's unfortunate that it didn't work it at least it just didn't work.

You'll have to do the long way after all!

Sorry that my theory turned out to not work its probable that at least installing twrp is a must.

Out of curiosity what error message did you receive upon selecting the file?

So, now I tried to install TWRP on my device - it couldn't - says: Failed not allowed to write recovery.....
That means my bootloader is locked I suppose! Now I have to go the very long way :(

Flashing with SP Tools isn't working either :( Guess I am stuck on this Shop-ROM
What's the problem? I wasn't able to initially either and it ended up windows ten had "blocked" some of the tools and files without indicating that in anyway.

Try right clicking the various downloads you had to get to do the procedure and click properties and check if the files are blocked ( I can't off the top of my head remember what tab the setting is on when I get home to a computer tomorrow I'll check if you haven't manage to figure it out) this could also be why you cant install two.