Why Don't Eu's Miui Rom's Take Advantage Of Rro's?

CosmicDan

Members
Jul 24, 2012
While customizing the latest China Stable firmware for my Redmi Note 4 (as you guys have not had the chance to release a build from the stable branch yet), I noticed that the Xiaomi.eu ROM's don't use overlay APK's yet - they still directly replace/inject the APK resources.

Why not switch to RRO method? It is pretty darn simple. As far as I know, you could even have it structured like so:

/vendor/overlay/framework-res-de.apk
/vendor/overlay/framework-res-de_rDE.apk
/vendor/overlay/framework-res-es.apk
/vendor/overlay/Settings-de.apk
etc....

This could save a lot of buildbot time, reduce overhead/maintenance in translations, and could even remove the need to deODEX/deOAT the firmware... Or do you guys still need to make smali edits to the framework jars to get some patches done?

Reactions: xeGox
Yeah man !!! It's just a great idea !! I do not understand why developers miui xiaomi.eu and do not use it !!
I used this method on smartphones XPERIA:)

Reactions: CosmicDan
I can think of ONE advantage... the APK will fail to compile or bootloop = incomplete or bad translation, makes it obvious if more work needs to be done xD

But they wrote the XML checker tool to try and avoid that...

I think it's just because they have their build system all setup already from the old days before RRO existed, and to change it all now would take some work and also undo all that effort heh.

Translation firmware using \ vendor \ overlay \ res * .apk

Without changing the system \ app \:)

search in google Customizing Android Devices Using Runtime Resource Overlay

While customizing the latest China Stable firmware for my Redmi Note 4 (as you guys have not had the chance to release a build from the stable branch yet), I noticed that the Xiaomi.eu ROM's don't use overlay APK's yet - they still directly replace/inject the APK resources.

Why not switch to RRO method? It is pretty darn simple. As far as I know, you could even have it structured like so:

/vendor/overlay/framework-res-de.apk
/vendor/overlay/framework-res-de_rDE.apk
/vendor/overlay/framework-res-es.apk
/vendor/overlay/Settings-de.apk
etc....

This could save a lot of buildbot time, reduce overhead/maintenance in translations, and could even remove the need to deODEX/deOAT the firmware... Or do you guys still need to make smali edits to the framework jars to get some patches done?
There are 1 problem ... RRO is not included in miui rom ....

There are 1 problem ... RRO is not included in miui rom ....

Yes it is, it's part of stock Android. CosmicTweaks already uses RRO for framework-res (customize some default settings) and QuickSearchBox (English translations, change Baidu to Google) so far, and it works fine.

You might be getting confused with the customized "RRO Layers", the 3rd-party enhancement to stock RRO that allows realtime Layers themes in some custom firmwares.