Resolved Widget not usable

vcdwelt

Members
Apr 14, 2019
Hi,
I have flashed today Miui12 stable to my Mi9 (Cepheus). Using the default Launcher, but i can't use the Amazon Alexa Widget. It simply did not show up in the Add widget screen. When using Lawnchair Launcher (or Nova, Pixel,...) it works fine. Only on default Launcher i can't add this Widget.

@Igor Eisberg
Thanks for clarification! Didn't find this information anywhere else.

How could i identify, if a widget is a widget or only a shortcut? For me both look the same.

I noticed that on MIUI 11 some shortcuts appear ok, like the Google Duo one. But on MIUI 12 that same shortcut does not appear. Also the WhatsApp widget is practically unusable because when you scroll down on it the system figures you are pulling down the notification bar.

@Igor Eisberg
Thanks for clarification! Didn't find this information anywhere else.

How could i identify, if a widget is a widget or only a shortcut? For me both look the same.
Basically the most definite way to know for sure is by decompiling and exploring the app's AndroidManifest.xml.
Widgets are declared as receivers with the action "android.appwidget.action.APPWIDGET_UPDATE".
Shortcuts are declared as activities with the action "android.intent.action.CREATE_SHORTCUT".

In any case, I took several hours into learning how POCO Launcher has app shortcuts implemented, and ported the implementation (with the required changes) to MIUI Launcher, so shortcuts will be properly supported starting with the next release.

I noticed that on MIUI 11 some shortcuts appear ok, like the Google Duo one. But on MIUI 12 that same shortcut does not appear. Also the WhatsApp widget is practically unusable because when you scroll down on it the system figures you are pulling down the notification bar.
No idea about that, but regarding scrolling widgets, you can scroll using two fingers. Not the best design choice, I would admit.

Thanks for the good and clear explanation. Understand the way to identify :)
And of course, thanks a lot for your hard work digging into the details of both launcher!

Think you deserved a beer :-D

Thanks for the good and clear explanation. Understand the way to identify :)
And of course, thanks a lot for your hard work digging into the details of both launcher!

Think you deserved a beer :-D
Thank you very much, kind sir. ;)

Reactions: vcdwelt