Wifi Connectivity Problem

dbdossan

Members
Dec 12, 2016
Hi,

I’m from Portugal and I’ve bought a Mi5 some days ago.
I have a problem for which I don’t find any solution.

The phone came with a modified fake ROM from the Chinese store but was working fine.
I unlocked the phone and installed TWRP to flash other ROMs. I flashed MIUI 8 global stable and a custom ROM from Xiaomi.eu without any problem.
Everything was working fine with the phone but I noticed that a lot of filesfrom prior fake ROM remained in the phone. So I decided to swipe everything in TWRP (including system and internal storage) and flashed MIUI Global Stable ROM again.
From this point, I never again been able to connect to a WiFi network and the 2G, 3G LTE connection became very weak and unstable. The phones can the wifi network available without problem, but after introducing the password, it tries to connect and just shows “Saved”.

I tried a lot of stuff. Static IP, reboot router, change router channel,change router security settings, flash different ROM, tweak build.prop file, but the problem persist.

In the phone test menu, when I try to connect to a WiFi I see that the phone scan, connect, disconnect, scan, connect, disconnect…

Any help?
Do you think it’s Hardware related issue? Or phone firmware and driver problem?

I’ll be very grateful for any assistance.

you can do calls and connect to 3g? maybe you have corrupted your efs partition

you can do calls and connect to 3g? maybe you have corrupted your efs partition
I can send/receive calls and sms. Regarding data, may it be 3G or LTE, the speed is incredibly slow as if it was 2G in very bad network coverage.

How can i check if my efs is corrupted? WiFi drivers or configurations are in this partition? Sorry if it's a stupid question, just want to understand.

Hi there,

I had the same problem and I found a solution which I'm not allowed to link on XDA. The link extension is /mi-5/help/wifi-connectivity-problem-t3517777

Basically, the solution is to set new MAC-addresses in /etc/firmware/wlan/qca_cld/wlan_mac.bin .

1. Disable wifi
2. Edit the file at /etc/firmware/wlan/qca_cld/wlan_mac.bin (I used ADB and a command line editor, but you can also use the file explorer app with root permissions)
3. The file has 3 lines
Code:
Intf0MacAddress=<12 hexadecimal  characters>
Intf1MacAddress=<Intf0MacAddress + 1>
END
Save this info somewhere in case this doesn't work. Then generate a new MAC-address (Google knows how). and put that as the first line. The second line should be the first address + 1.
4. Save, verify your changes stuck, and reboot.
5. Profit!

If this works for you, head on over to XDA to thank the guy who made the original post.

Hi there,

I had the same problem and I found a solution which I'm not allowed to link on XDA. The link extension is /mi-5/help/wifi-connectivity-problem-t3517777

Basically, the solution is to set new MAC-addresses in /etc/firmware/wlan/qca_cld/wlan_mac.bin .

1. Disable wifi
2. Edit the file at /etc/firmware/wlan/qca_cld/wlan_mac.bin (I used ADB and a command line editor, but you can also use the file explorer app with root permissions)
3. The file has 3 lines
Code:
Intf0MacAddress=<12 hexadecimal  characters>
Intf1MacAddress=<Intf0MacAddress + 1>
END
Save this info somewhere in case this doesn't work. Then generate a new MAC-address (Google knows how). and put that as the first line. The second line should be the first address + 1.
4. Save, verify your changes stuck, and reboot.
5. Profit!

If this works for you, head on over to XDA to thank the guy who made the original post.

Hi,
Thanks for sharing it here.
I was one of the posters on this XDA thread. ;)

I have the same problem :/
changing MAC-address did not help unfortunately.
Is there any solution??
I need one badly!!!
thanks..

Took me a while to figure this out. When generating a MAC address, do not use the first one that shows up on Google (miniwebtool - I'm not allowed to post links here I guess), as it does not generate valid MAC addresses. What DID work for me was this one on hellion dot uk dot org. You can always double-check the validity of the address on the site with fyicenter in it.
So for me, this made all the difference between this trick not working, and working perfectly.