New Wifi Problem With Note 2

bartpix

Members
Sep 16, 2015
I'm using Stable ROM V.6.7.11.0. and the WiFi reception is terrible. Next to my Samsung Galaxy 2, which I am using to check against, the Note 2 either stops or has a download of 0.2 kb. Is there a better ROM (even a global version) that cures this problem.

I have changed to the hermes 5.10.8. v7-50 rom to check if that was any better.
It is not. The phone drops the signal and turns off the wifi by itself.

That's really strange.
I've talked to about 50 note 2 portuguese users and heard of one other with similar complaints, but no other.

Does it happen everywhere, or always with the same router / access point?
I have a Sony Miro that worked fine and after a factory reset it stopped working correctly via wi-fi, but only at home.

I changed the wireless channel and that fixed it.

Reactions: Igor_Coutinho
Yes. The same happens with 2 other routers I checked with.
I had the thought that it might be a settings problem but all the settings I had a look at seemed OK unless it is one of the settings in engineering mode - which I would be afraid to attempt as I have no knowledge of them.
What do you mean by changing the wireless channel?

In the router / access point configuration, it's is possible to fine tune the frequency in which the wireless communication occurs. Usually it is left in Auto by default. Acceptable channel values range from 1 through 14.

But if around you are other wireless networks working in the same channel, weird stuff can happen.
Using an analizer app (like this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer) it is possible to check current channel in all available networks in range (no password required).

The idea is to configure your router to a unsed channel, if possible.

But if it happens everywhere, it might not be it (even though it won't hurt to optimize the channel use).

Other problem that might be doing it is the use of IPv6, which isn't always a good thing.
Some routers allow to disable it, but you can test if that's the problem using an app to disable IPv6 directly in the Phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.lennartschoch.disableipv6

It does require root access, but if you are using a Developer version, it's not a problem.

Many Thanx for that info.
I am back home on Saturday morning and will check out your suggestions.
Thanx again.

I have checked the router and upgraded to 5.10.8 and the problem persists. Sometimes the WiFi is working OK and next time I check it, the notification symbol is full, refresh WLAN but no connection. Looking at WLAN page, it says Status: Connected, Signal Strength: Excellent, Link Speed: 150 Mbps. So I should be able to download but trying 3 different apps that update, the "No Internet Connection" message appears. This is also happening on a second Note 2 for my wife. Any suggestions to sort this appreciated.

I'm using Stable ROM V.6.7.11.0. and the WiFi reception is terrible. Next to my Samsung Galaxy 2, which I am using to check against, the Note 2 either stops or has a download of 0.2 kb. Is there a better ROM (even a global version) that cures this problem.
Hi bartpix,
I still Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S4 with Rom CyanogenMod nightly jfltexx always updated, but Xiaomi Redmi Notes 2 with Miuiv7 and 'much more' powerful in the wi-fi signal. Sorry for my English

Ciao bartpix,
io ho ancora Samsung galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S4 con Rom Cyanogenmod nightly jfltexx sempre aggiornata, ma Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 con Miuiv7 e' molto piu' potente nel segnale wi-fi. Scusa per il mio Inglese

You can not switch to MIUI v7, Maybe working as on Redmi Notes 2

Thanx Stefano.
I spent all last night trying out different solutions and FINALLY decided to change the channel on the router and EUREKA, the signal was much better and did not disappear. In case anyone has the same problem - the Router is a TP-Link ADSL2+ model and was originally set to channel 1. On my other devices - Galaxy S2,S3, Galaxy Tab - there was no problem in connecting, only with the Note 2. Guess there was some interference on channel 1 that the Note 2 did not like. Thanx again. Ciao

Reactions: Stefano131270
Thanx Stefano.
I spent all last night trying out different solutions and FINALLY decided to change the channel on the router and EUREKA, the signal was much better and did not disappear. In case anyone has the same problem - the Router is a TP-Link ADSL2+ model and was originally set to channel 1. On my other devices - Galaxy S2,S3, Galaxy Tab - there was no problem in connecting, only with the Note 2. Guess there was some interference on channel 1 that the Note 2 did not like. Thanx again. Ciao
Hi bartpix, Very well, I also do these things! I wish you a good day and have fun with Xiaomi.
I apologize for my English, Google helps me.
Ciao Stefano