Xiami Redmi 4 Vs Redmi 3s?

GarviD

Members
Dec 3, 2016
Hi,
I want to buy a new phone... I'm not sure what is the best between Redmi 4 and Redmi 3S... I have found both at the same price... What is the best?

I don't find any review on Redmi 4 (the version with 2 GB RAM and 16 GB ROM)... can anyone give me any information about it?

Is there the possibility to unlock the band 20 (800 MHz) for LTE?

Better to buy redmi 4 prime/pro if you can as it has a better/newer SOC and 32GB/1080 screen etc for only a few more $.
The other Redmi 4 are not so interesting or an upgrade from redmi 3, so there is not much interest.

Only buy a 3s if you are on a budget, and even then you may be interested in european [or other] SD430 cheap phones which may get better support (ROMs, bands, servicing) in your region.

The phones are locked to the bands at a hardware level, you can not "add" or "unlock" bands.
800mhz is not a very fast band (a bit better than HDSPA+) but has greater range than something like LTE2600, therefore only go for it if really necessary with your provider.
Xiaomi don't add it to Chinese area phones because they don't use the band. Rarely on some International releases of phones they use it.

Redmi 4 series has not yet had an international version released. Will it happen? Dunno. Hope so.

I understand... but the 4 prime/pro is out of budget...

I found the redmi 4 at 125 € (on sale) and the redmi 3S at 128.95 €. I have seen the specifications of both and they look almost identical... so I have opened this thread to have an opinion about what is the best...

The absence of 800 MHz is not a problem, both of them haven't the band 20, I asked if there is the possibility to unlock the band 20, only for information.

Presently the 3S has better support from the custom ROM community because it has been out longer and also has an international version. So it is the better of the two phones today (based on the fact the phones are basically identical). It runs the same version of MIUI if that is your build of choice.

The 4 may get a longer lifespan because it is a newer phone, so it may get upgraded to newer versions of MIUI. But as there is no international version (yet) plus custom ROMs sparse and it is not the easiest phone to flash, so it is not the better option IMHO.

Just be very careful which phones you are comparing, there are lots of models of Redmi 3 and Redmi 4, under different names.
For example Redmi 4A is with underpowered SOC and battery.

Reactions: Adl3r
Not only what Pete says, the RedMi3 will stop producing soon, as the RedMi 4 will become the new INT phones that Xiaomi will push. All the INT RedMi 4 devices will be available December/January, and slowly the RedMi 3 will disappear.

Very happy with a Redmi 4 Prada, but with xiaomi.eu rom the SIM 1 internet connection is working just at 2G... I've found a solution here https: // xiaomifirmware.com/ guides-and-tips/ fix-missing-network-issue-redmi-4/ and now the SIM1 works in 4G networks and H+ internet connection...

Last edited:
I have Redmi 4.
Do not even think about Redmi 4 at this point (or probably any other point in the future), buy Redmi 3S. Get the 3/32GB version and enjoy ;)

Do not get me wrong, Redmi 4 still has potential to improve (I hope), but Redmi 3s is simply better option at this moment, and you can get it for less $$$. And you want a phone, not a potential ;)

Not only what Pete says, the RedMi3 will stop producing soon, as the RedMi 4 will become the new INT phones that Xiaomi will push. All the INT RedMi 4 devices will be available December/January, and slowly the RedMi 3 will disappear.
So, its May soon, it should be obvious by now that its not for Redmi 4 (prada only) to replace Redmi 3s ;)