Invalid Xiaomi apps crash after upgrade to MIUI 12.0.4

koos147

Members
May 3, 2021
2 weeks ago i finaly upgraded to MIUI 12.0.4.
After this update all "default" apps crash.
For example the phone app.
Code:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{com.android.contacts/com.android.contacts.activities.PeopleActivity}: java.lang.IllegalStateException: You need to use a miui theme (or descendant) with this activity.
at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:3308)
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:3457)
at android.app.servertransaction.LaunchActivityItem.execute(LaunchActivityItem.java:83)
at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.executeCallbacks(TransactionExecutor.java:135)
at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.execute(TransactionExecutor.java:95)
at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:2044)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:107)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:224)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7560)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:539)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:950)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: You need to use a miui theme (or descendant) with this activity.
at com.miui.internal.app.ActivityDelegate.installSubDecor(ActivityDelegate.java:179)
at com.miui.internal.app.ActivityDelegate.onCreate(ActivityDelegate.java:129)
at miui.app.Activity.onCreate(Activity.java:48)
at com.android.contacts.activities.TransactionSafeActivity.onCreate(TransactionSafeActivity.java:33)
at com.android.contacts.ContactsActivity.onCreate(ContactsActivity.java:80)
at com.android.contacts.activities.PeopleActivity.onCreate(PeopleActivity.java:504)
at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:7893)
at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:7880)
at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1307)
at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:3283)
... 11 more

The error tells me that i need to use the official launcher.
so i went back. (it is not possible by settings. but after clearing the default launcher i can switch back)
however this doesn't change anything.

the settings app looks strange (also note the title)

i installed another phone and gallery app so i can continue the basic functions.
however today i tried to paire a bluetooth device. and at the moment you normaly expect the pin prompt the settings app crashes (same error as above)

i used the report function for many times.
but i guess nobody is reading this (just like the feedback where nobody has responded for 20 tickets in a year)
so i was really happy to found this forum.

TWRP -> Advanced -> File Manager -> delete "package_cache" folder in /data/system, then reboot.