Xiaomi Mi 10, OTA update to MIUI 12 bricks phone

Un coq

Members
Oct 22, 2016
I can't believe it. I had a notification to update to MIUI 12 on my phone. I downloaded it, rebooted, everything looks normal... and then I see a fastboot logo and it gets stuck there.

I never even unlocked the bootloader of this phone and did anything to it. And just like that, I lost access to my data.

There is nothing more messed up than an update that turns your phone into a toaster. Do they even test these stupid updates?

I can't believe it. I had a notification to update to MIUI 12 on my phone. I downloaded it, rebooted, everything looks normal... and then I see a fastboot logo and it gets stuck there.

I never even unlocked the bootloader of this phone and did anything to it. And just like that, I lost access to my data.

There is nothing more messed up than an update that turns your phone into a toaster. Do they even test these stupid updates?

Wrong forum. This forum is only for unlocked bootloader and xiaomi.eu roms. You have to change to the official xiaomi forum.

Wrong forum. This forum is only for unlocked bootloader and xiaomi.eu roms. You have to change to the official xiaomi forum.

I saw plenty of threads about official Xiaomi roms and OTA updates on this board in the years I've browsed it, down to the Redmi Note 2 I had years ago. You act like flashing an official rom wasn't an everyday occurrence around these parts.

I really don't see the harm in asking. I just had my phone die on me out of nothing. The mi.com forums are a downright unreadable mess.

Did you have developer settings enabled on your phone before this problem happened?
If yes you could have the things fixed using Miflash tool and a fastboot ROM.

Послато са Mi 10 помоћу Тапатока

Did you have developer settings enabled on your phone before this problem happened?
If yes you could have the things fixed using Miflash tool and a fastboot ROM.

Послато са Mi 10 помоћу Тапатока

Sadly I didn't. I did this and unlocked every previous Xiaomi phone I had, but this time I decided not to deal with the fuss.

I researched this further and I seem to be at a dead end. The system has been destroyed and I can only access fastboot, not even recovery anymore.

Which means that in order to flash the original firmware again, I would need an unlocked phone. But yet I cannot do that, because the phone has never been tied to my Mi Account or had developer options enabled, and it is inaccessible because the OTA update just bricked it.

So I am at a dead end. The only option would be to bring it to a Xiaomi service center. But since there are none in Canada, it seems I am stuck with a brick.

I'm still astounded that a simple update that kill a phone and leave people with zero remedy. No more Xiaomi anything for me, I guess.

try this: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...firmware-update-im-stucked.59558/#post-586508

Reactions: Poney70