Xiaomi Mi 9 Ghost Touch Issue

jvbucaneg

Members
Jun 18, 2019
Hi Guys,

Wanted to check if you encountered ghost touch issue with you Mi 9? Recently bought one and having some issue though its randomly encountered.

Hello,

I'm suffering from the very same issue. I've had the phone since roughly the middle of May. The problems started a few weeks ago and has persisted and has even exacerbated during this time.

I've tried multiple roms; mi.eu, ROS and now currently Pixel Experience and the problems persist between installs. Curious thing is though that during the first few days after a clean rom install/reset the problems are nonexistent and then get progressively worse and worse.

Ive tried the Mi touch test using *#*#64663#*#* and have alot of ghost touching in the top of the panel and sometimes stretching further down the screen. The problems are intermittent and sometimes it can go hours between ghost touches and sometimes the phone is totally unusable ie you can't write anything due to notification bar gets pulled down all the time, the touching simulates a double tap on notification bar and causes a screen shutdown. But overall the problems increase in severity as time goes by, as mentioned above.

What I can't confirm is whether the issue is connected to using certain firmware/miui version. I never used the Mi 9 when I had official global stable installed and therefore can't confirm if the official firmware has this issue also.

Gboard seems to make things worse funnily enough and switching to SwiftKey can help a bit. My BL is unlocked and I have no warranty left so if this continues I'll have to buy a new phone.

Anyone fixed the problem? I've been having this for almost 3 weeks now and my phone is almost unusable.

I'm on weekly and tried all Roms of the last 3 months and after each install it works perfectly fine for a few days and then ghost touch starts and I'm having a hard time not throwing it against a wall. Wiping cache and Dalvik also works some times.

I had the same issue on my Mi 9 SE. Apparently, this is a hardware problem.

But there is a workaround to this, so if anyone encounters the same issue, try the following:

1. Open settings
2. Additional settings
3. Open "Language & Input"
4. Open "pointer speed" (at the very bottom)
5. Turn it down to the minimum.

This will decrease the touch sensitivity and it worked for me. Maybe you don't even to turn it down completely, just try out something that will work for you.

Regards

Reactions: Andrea Ricci
I had the same issue on my Mi 9 SE. Apparently, this is a hardware problem.

But there is a workaround to this, so if anyone encounters the same issue, try the following:

1. Open settings
2. Additional settings
3. Open "Language & Input"
4. Open "pointer speed" (at the very bottom)
5. Turn it down to the minimum.

This will decrease the touch sensitivity and it worked for me. Maybe you don't even to turn it down completely, just try out something that will work for you.

Regards

Alright, this seemed to be a temporary fix, since the issue reocurred after a few days. But i found something new, which seems very promising. So try the following:

1. Open settings
2. Activate developer options (My device > Tap 8 times on "MIUI-Version")
3. Settings > Additional Settings
4. Developer options
5. Disable MIUI-Optimizations (at the very bottom).
6. Reboot

This will also disable some other features of MIUI. But for now, it really did fix the issue for me. There are many reports that suggest to turn off the three finger swipe for screenshot, but that alone didn't do the trick for me. But the new settings seem to help.

Reactions: Andrea Ricci
Alright, this seemed to be a temporary fix, since the issue reocurred after a few days. But i found something new, which seems very promising. So try the following:

1. Open settings
4. Developer options
6. Reboot

This will also disable some other features of MIUI. But for now, it really did fix the issue for me. There are many reports that suggest to turn off the three finger swipe for screenshot, but that alone didn't do the trick for me. But the new settings seem to help.

THANK YOU!!! ! ! !

It works for me!

XIAOMI PLEASE FIX THIS ****** PROBLEM! ! ! !

Hi , I have tried the disable miui optimizations fix, it seemed like it solved the problem , but now it is back . is there any other fix or do i have to return the phone?

thanks

Please try these:

how to recreate the issue?

Steps
1. download a multi touch tester app I used this
2. first do some testing yourself see if you can spot the issue
3. now do 3 finger swipe down (phone will take screenshot)
4. now randomly touch your screen with 1 or 2 fingers you'll notice 1 or 2 ghost touches.

1. Open settings
4. Developer options
6. Reboot

Steps
1. go to settings>additional settings>button and gesture shortcuts>take a screenshot
2. and set it to none.
3. reboot

SOLUTION 1 - Disable TOUCH Settings
Head on to settings - Additional Settings - Display -
Disable Glove Mode and Prevent Pocket Dials
You may want to Keep Prevent pocket dials ON only if you are not using a flip cover which completely covers the screen. (Because the flip cover will cover the sensor on the front, so keeping Prevent pocket dials ON flip cover user's makes no sense)
Done. You may reboot your device.

If does not work that means this is the problem with phone hardware.

just a random question, do u have a screen protector on? maybe thats why there are ghost touches

I have tried all solutions and it keeps on getting worse. I bought mine from Al Express and to my seller is not responding and it will cost me a lot to send it back and forth. Seems like i will have to throw it away. This is my first xiaomi phone and this is a very bad xiaomi experience

I also bought my first Xiaomi phone from Al xpress, it was Xiaomi MI4, the quality of this phone was also not perfect. . .
Taught by this experience, I bought my next Xiaomi MI9 phone in my country.
I think my phone also has a manufacturing defect.

If anyone has any solution or can tell which part needs to be replaced please update. I just bought a new phone today because mine became unusable.

Reactions: Cbris_mi
hello
any new idea for repairing this problem ? still more ghost touchs and not working touch display
Thank you very much for any reasons
Peter

Hello, I've your problems too. I've seen that if you press with power the area of display where are the ghost touchs (to see them you have to activate show touchs in developer options) the problem seems to be resolved, even if it will be again present in the future

hello
any new idea for repairing this problem ? still more ghost touchs and not working touch display
Thank you very much for any reasons
Peter
Hi Peter, There is no solution to the problem, but there is an answer to the question.
Judging by all the manipulations carried out, the problem lies in the contact of the contact group on the display module itself directly with the case and other details, or the chipset on the display module somehow shortens. On other models, the problem was solved by disassembling and making structural changes, which were expressed in the installation of some gaskets between the display module itself and the microcircuit.
If you try to slightly press down the display in the lower right corner, approximately in the area of the speaker, you will immediately get the same ghostly clicks at the top of the screen, which confirms my theory and the same troubles on other models.

i also have the same issue and thé Ghost touches appear on the upper side of the screen. When I press firmly on the top of the touchscreen the problem disappear for a few hours .

i think this is a hardware issue , has someone returned his phone under warranty ? How does Xiaomi handle this problem ?

I have desactivated miu11 optimizations as user zarkoj wrote and after reboot no more ghost touch problems for 4 days

Hi,

I also encountered this issue (confirmed by activating the 'Show taps' options in Dev. Ops.). Further, what I saw is that whenever the ghost touches are happening the phone starts to act strange and after a while (maybe days) it's freezing. After this freeze and a normal reset of the device all the permissions granted to the apks are lost, so I re-do the entire process of allowing the relevant permissions.

I do not know if the two of them are connected somehow but I'm saying that maybe they acts under the same issue.

Other aspects to be considered:
a. I did the tweak with the pointer speed (I did not feel any differences or improvement);
b. I permanently disabled the MIUI Optimizations (resetting the device after did this);
c. I have Nova Launcher
d. I have Google Pixel Theme (I don't know if this would have any impact)
e. I tried all the notch options (I saw an improvement on the 'Hide notch + move status bar' option) - However, I hate this design
f. I did some debloat. However, the issue appeared after a while (1 month or so). I do not consider the debloat the issue.
g. NO unlocked bootloader/ custom TWRP/ root

Maybe XIAOMI will fix this issue!

Cheers from Bucharest (Romania) - Xiaomi MI 9 (bought from EMAG.RO)

Hi, my phone has this problem since few days back too. I've tried to disable MIUI optimization and factory reset but it still happens. Have any of you got this problem solved?

Hi Peter, There is no solution to the problem, but there is an answer to the question.
Judging by all the manipulations carried out, the problem lies in the contact of the contact group on the display module itself directly with the case and other details, or the chipset on the display module somehow shortens. On other models, the problem was solved by disassembling and making structural changes, which were expressed in the installation of some gaskets between the display module itself and the microcircuit.
If you try to slightly press down the display in the lower right corner, approximately in the area of the speaker, you will immediately get the same ghostly clicks at the top of the screen, which confirms my theory and the same troubles on other models.
Hello, I have a Mi 9 SE with ghost touch. I think it's a hardware problem too. Can I fix this? I want to open up the device and check (disconnect and connect again) the connectors of the screen. Do you think this will work?

Regards, Alex

finally this is a hardware problem. I opened a ticket and requested a warranty service order, xiaomi sent me a prepaid shipping label. two weeks later I received the phone with a new screen.

Reactions: Alexiaomi
That's great! Did you have to send an invoice for the warrenty or could Xiaomi see that's it was still in warrenty? Or did you sent it back to the seller?
Regards, Alex

I had to send the invoice, i received à shipping label with the adress of the regional repair center

Envoyé de mon Mi 9T en utilisant Tapatalk