Xiaomi Mi Vr/mi Vr Play/mi Vr Play 2 ?

drumlomane

Members
May 28, 2017
Hello,
Happy owner of a Mi5S Plus, I have experienced virtual reality a few months ago with the Samsung Gear VR. As a big fan of technology and Xiaomi, I have recently discovered that the brand had launched three headsets, all compatible with my device (correct me if I am wrong) : Mi VR Play, Mi VR Play 2 and finally Mi VR. The problem is that, apart from the quality that would place the Mi VR at the head, I do not understand the difference between these different products. In addition, I would like to be able to use my headset in the same way as the Samsung, my only reference at the moment. So, if the language of the product does not matter to me (this kind of devices being rather simple to use), I would like to play games equivalent to what the Gear VR offers, and be able to enjoy applications like Netflix or YouTube. That is why I would have liked to know if these Xiaomi, via their official interface, propose this, or if, otherwise, it was possible to install another store (such as Google's one for example) ?
Thank you in advance !

OK so...(Very basic premise of the 3 models)...

Mi VR Play - 1st gen, was more of a toy, an experimental product offering limited none electronic means of experiencing 360 VR experiences. No controller and basic FOV and not so comfortable as a prototype product which Xiaomi often do to test the environment.

Mi VR 2 - 2nd gen was more orientated to direct USB Type C access devices and comes with a better FOV / Pupillary distance optimisation, along with controller and gesture support

Mi VR Play 2 - Latest product which works with 4.7 to 5.7 inch phones, no matter the phone type it will be usable, it takes influence from Mi VR 2 and Play v1 to build a 2nd generation product replacing Mi VR Play, more people can use it because there is no Type C connection on board so its more convenient to share and use amongst other brands.

For the software aspect, any 360 VR compatible APP should be ok, search Google Play Store or other 3rd party stores for those kind of Apps and experiences.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks a lot !
Between the Mi VR 2 and the Mi VR Play 2, which one have the better specs ?
It depends if you want the phone connected via USB source or not and want the controller. Personally I find the controller version better but I think if you are looking for total portability and convenience / sharing the experience with friends etc then I'd say get the VR Play 2.

We have both versions on our store, lowest prices as well. Feel free to take a look at the store using the 'Shop Now' link at the top of the forum.

Cheers,

Mark