Xiaomi Mi4s - Update From 8.2.1.0 (stable) To 8.5.1.0 (stable)

JogiN89

Members
Jul 31, 2017
Hi everyone,
I am a little confused about update process for newest stable 8.5.1.0
Right now I am using 8.2.1.0 (LAJCNDL) last stable with android 5.1.1 and I want to upgrade to newest stable with android 7.0.

Till this time I was using Updater app and everything was good, but right now I have some questions.
I know that update to Android 7.0 will block my bootloader and I am prepared for it - I have Xiaomi permission to unlock it.

I am just not sure how should I do it to keep my data and don't brick my phone.

Somewhere on the internet I found out that it is possible to go directly from 8.2.1.0 stable to 8.5.1.0 stable with Updater app. After that - unlock bootloader and install TWRP for android 7.

On the other hand info on this forum suggest to use 6.12.22 version as a step before installing android 7:
How to upgrade to Andoid 7.0:
Install MIUI 6.12.22 before updating to Android 7.0..
Select zip in Updater - menu - select zip
Unlock your bootloader again on Mi4C, Mi4S, MiNotePRO
(check your bootloader status by command "fastboot oem device-info")
Install TWRP for 7.0 via fastboot "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" "fastboot boot twrp.img"
In case of issues, wipe /data in TWRP
Above instruction says that MIUI 6.12.22 can be installed via updater app, but I also found some information that installing developer version on stable release is not so easy and may lead to lose of the data. Can someone confirm if I am right?

It would be best for me if I could just use the updater app to go directly to stable of android 7.0, but if it needs more effort can someone explain to me how can I install android 7.0 stable without any issues?

Best regards,
JogiN89

There are people who have upgraded from that ROM directly to 8.5.1 without problem by updater. You would not lose your data because you are not deleting the internal memory

Enviado desde mi MI 4S mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: iamme729
Ok, I will try to install 8.5.1 stable on weekend.
I hope everything will be ok.

I will leave feedback here if I succeed.

Do you speak spanish

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There are people who have upgraded from that ROM directly to 8.5.1 without problem by updater. You would not lose your data because you are not deleting the internal memory

I can confirm, i've just updated downloading the rom from sourceforge and than using the Updater app with that rom.
Keep calm while rebooting since it took some minutes (have a cup of coffee or anything else..) and then wait for the dust to settle down...

If you install Android 7 ROM , you lost twrp and lock the bootloader. You have to unlock again, and install aqua_7 twrp by adb