New [10.3.15 Stable] K20 Pro audio issues, Google Assistant and apps incompatibilities

Adavius

Members
Jul 27, 2019
Bought my k20 pro from China, bootloader was already unlocked and had a global rom on it. I flashed twrp and installed xiaomi.eu 10.3.15 Stable. I encountered the following issues and bugs:​
  1. System wide audio issues. Apps suddenly would no longer have any audio through speaker or headphones until reboot; managed to solve it by installing audio compatibility patch through magisk.​
  2. No audio during calls. I couldn't hear the caller and he couldn't hear me. Temporarily solved by rebooting. Installed Audio compatibility patch and thought it was resolved but it happened again yesterday, after a few days with no issues whatsoever.​
  3. Google Assistant is not working. I tried deleting the voice samples and adding them again to no success. Somehow, people think Google assistant is related to the audio issues. Some suggest disabling it would solve the audio problems. Ideally we should be able to have Google assistant working and not breaking the audio.​
  4. Apps incompatibilities: so far the only one I encountered was Netflix. I couldn't find it in the play store and had to download a few versions until I found one working.​

Reactions: Ko Phyo
Bought my k20 pro from China, bootloader was already unlocked and had a global rom on it. I flashed twrp and installed xiaomi.eu 10.3.15 Stable. I encountered the following issues and bugs:​
  1. System wide audio issues. Apps suddenly would no longer have any audio through speaker or headphones until reboot; managed to solve it by installing audio compatibility patch through magisk.​
  2. No audio during calls. I couldn't hear the caller and he couldn't hear me. Temporarily solved by rebooting. Installed Audio compatibility patch and thought it was resolved but it happened again yesterday, after a few days with no issues whatsoever.​
  3. Google Assistant is not working. I tried deleting the voice samples and adding them again to no success. Somehow, people think Google assistant is related to the audio issues. Some suggest disabling it would solve the audio problems. Ideally we should be able to have Google assistant working and not breaking the audio.​
  4. Apps incompatibilities: so far the only one I encountered was Netflix. I couldn't find it in the play store and had to download a few versions until I found one working.​
1-2. We don't know what causes this. Some people said that uninstalling Google app updates solved audio issues for them. Either way, we don't have the device to conduct an investigation.
3. And it won't work. China ROMs for Snapdragon 845/855 don't support OK Google/Voice Match. We can only work around it for Snapdragon 845 devices that had a Global Beta and Stable ROMs. No workaround for Snapdragon 855. This is caused by Xiaomi, nothing to be done about it on our side.
4. You're not the only one. However, we don't have control over Google Play Store.

I resolved my issue with this manual, works flawlessly with viper4android mod:

Same bugs here. I managed to get most fixed. I thought I fixed all of the issues, and everything worked perfectly for a few days, but yesterday I got the no voice during call bug and had to restart.
What you have to do is install Magisk via recovery. You can find the links in the xda forums. Then, reboot, go to Magisk manager app, downloads, and look for the following modules:
- Audio Compatibility Patch - most important one;
- Audio Modification library;
- Viper4android FX.
Install these. Most likely, the first module will solve the problem with audio missing from YouTube, Spotify, or all other apps.
The bug regarding no voice or mic during calls seems to be caused by Google Assistant. After yesterday, I disabled Google assistant via settings and everything has been fine.
However, I cannot guarantee the issue will not recur. You will not be able to use Google assistant, but I haven't been able to make it work anyway.

Edit:

Credit goes to Adavius

Reactions: Adavius
In the audio compatibility patch while.in setup, choose:

no (volume down) - then choose second option

Yes (volume up)
Yes (volume up)
Yes (volume up)

Reboot between each install of the mods

I resolved my issue with this manual, works flawlessly with viper4android mod:

Same bugs here. I managed to get most fixed. I thought I fixed all of the issues, and everything worked perfectly for a few days, but yesterday I got the no voice during call bug and had to restart.
What you have to do is install Magisk via recovery. You can find the links in the xda forums. Then, reboot, go to Magisk manager app, downloads, and look for the following modules:
- Audio Compatibility Patch - most important one;
- Audio Modification library;
- Viper4android FX.
Install these. Most likely, the first module will solve the problem with audio missing from YouTube, Spotify, or all other apps.
The bug regarding no voice or mic during calls seems to be caused by Google Assistant. After yesterday, I disabled Google assistant via settings and everything has been fine.
However, I cannot guarantee the issue will not recur. You will not be able to use Google assistant, but I haven't been able to make it work anyway.

Edit:

Credit goes to Adavius
Thank you for taking the time to post this here as well. As I have already mentioned, after doing all those steps I still encountered the voice during calls issue, but only once. Since then I disabled Google Assistant and haven't had the problem for a few days.

II i can be of any help to the devs in regards to this problem, don't hesitate to ask me questions about the device's behavior.

Reactions: elysion
Thank you for taking the time to post this here as well. As I have already mentioned, after doing all those steps I still encountered the voice during calls issue, but only once. Since then I disabled Google Assistant and haven't had the problem for a few days.

II i can be of any help to the devs in regards to this problem, don't hesitate to ask me questions about the device's behavior.
That's great, but still doesn't answer the question "what's wrong with the audio", as we do not touch it in any way.

Reactions: elysion and Adavius
That's great, but still doesn't answer the question "what's wrong with the audio", as we do not touch it in any way.
A user on this forum apparently found another solution on a foreign forum. I'll paste it here:

They just shared the new way to solve this issue. Let format data ( in TWRP ) after flash EU rom.
Here is the sequences:

4 wipe ( cache, dalvik, system, data)
flash rom EU
2 wipe ( cache, dalvik )
format data
reboot system

I haven't tried this yet, and neither the user who posted it. Is there an explanation as to why formatting data would solve the problem?

Last edited:
At this point, I think it would be best to wait for Dev to address this issue. As mentioned, the latest EU Rom is delayed for the K20 Pro, ai hope it gets fixed then.

Hey Igor, thanks for your response. The issue is as follows:

Videos on all apps (Browser/Youtube) start to stutter andthere is no sound.
When talking to someone, the person on the other hand can not hear you, nor can you hear him, mic does not work as well.
When a headphone via 3.5mm is connected, there is no sound. When the headphone is removed, the headphone symbol in the top bar does not disappear.

Temporary solution:
Reboot works sporadically.

If you want, I could prepare a video for you with the error or pull some logs, you'd just have to let me know how to do that.

Have a great start into the week--

When talking to someone, the person on the other hand can not hear you, nor can you hear him, mic does not work as well.
When a headphone via 3.5mm is connected, there is no sound. When the headphone is removed, the headphone symbol in the top bar does not disappear.

Temporary solution:

If you want, I could prepare a video for you with the error or pull some logs, you'd just have to let me know how to do that.

Again, this is a low-level issue, only experimentation can produce any kind of result (and that's a huge 'maybe'). Logs are useless when the errors are on the kernel/driver level as we have no access to binary source code.

Again, this is a low-level issue, only experimentation can produce any kind of result (and that's a huge 'maybe'). Logs are useless when the errors are on the kernel/driver level as we have no access to binary source code.
Just installed the latest stable version - 10.3.16, uninstalled magisk and audio compatibility patch, and the problem seems to have disappeared. Strange.
I'll keep you updated.

I also had speaker mic issue same as yours. I feel it's got the issue after it's disconnected from the bluetooth device in my car which was the audio output. I just shut the power of the car down and the bluetooth was forced to be disconnected. Then it got the issue. No sound, no mic input. But I tried to recover it by conncting it to my bluetooth earbuds, tried some video and then disconnect the bluetooth device. The speaker and the mic started to work again.

I also had speaker mic issue same as yours. I feel it's got the issue after it's disconnected from the bluetooth device in my car which was the audio output. I just shut the power of the car down and the bluetooth was forced to be disconnected. Then it got the issue. No sound, no mic input. But I tried to recover it by conncting it to my bluetooth earbuds, tried some video and then disconnect the bluetooth device. The speaker and the mic started to work again.
I have read posts on other forums of people explaining the origin of the problem being bluetooth, but I couldn't replicate the issue with my car bluetooth. I can't replicate the audio issues after updating to the last stable version anymore though.

Just installed the latest stable version - 10.3.16, uninstalled magisk and audio compatibility patch, and the problem seems to have disappeared. Strange.
I'll keep you updated.
Hi. Did the audio/video issue occur at all since u flashed 10.3.16? Did you use google assistant?

I'm facing this issue on the stable version 10.3.16 on my K20 Pro. There is not any sound on my phone. I have to downgrade to 10.3.15 and the issue is fixed. Do you have any ideas?

I'll keep you updated.

Could you please tell your detail of steps on how to fix this issue?

Temporary solution:

Yes, I have experienced the same with you. So, do have any solutions to fix this issue?

Yes, I have experienced the same with you. So, do have any solutions to fix this issue?
Yes. Follow the steps in this thread explained by me. Install magisk and download and install the audio compatibility patch module.
Hi. Did the audio/video issue occur at all since u flashed 10.3.16? Did you use google assistant?
Yes it did once. Has to reinstall audio compatibility patch to fix it.

Hi there,

I have applied below steps and got fixed the issue on my K20 Pro:
1. Format data by TWRP
2. Download and flash the stable 10.3.15.
3. Launch and setting your MIUI 10.3.15 (like add google account, install some apps)
4. Then continue downloading and flash the stable 10.3.16

After successfully flash 10.3.16, you launch and use the phone as normal and the issue should be fixed.
Please try doing the steps and let me know the result.

Thanks.

@leminhitalia

I have the same issues on K20 Pro. I applied the patches, the bug is still here. So I reinstalled as you said in the previous comment, the bug is still present. Now I will install the patches again but seems like there is no fix for me.

What option should be chosen during installation of the audio compatibility patch? There are 5 options. I chose no, yes, yes, yes, yes. But this didn't fix the problem.

@pavelcheto: you're not choosing the right options. These are the steps you should take (credit goes to Abaddon from xda forums):

upon installation,
press any volume button when prompted for test.

It will ask "do you want to skip audio_policy patching?"
-press VOL DOWN as NO
-select VOL UP as NEW LOGIC

It will next ask "if you like to skip notification helper remover?"
-select VOL DOWN as NO
Select fix method
-select VOL DOWN to REMOVE VOLUME LISTER LIBRARY

it will next ask if you "would like to skip USB policy patching"
-any option will do. up to you

it will next ask for a lib workaround
-select VOLUME DOWN as NO (recommended)

when all is done, reboot and profit