New 12s Ultra Bad Mobile Network Connectivity

Birgit Krippner

Members
Oct 24, 2022
Hey there.

I recently installed the Xiaomi EU ROM and have noticed, that I get minimum bars of network where I live. This is really slow and affects my daily usage. I live rural in New Zealand (South Island, Central Otago).
Some things to know:
1. my network provider is Vodafone.
2. all other devices in my household have full bars of 4G, which are Android (such as the OnePlus 10 Pro)

Is it possible for Xiaomi.EU to look into implementing the Vodafone NZ frequencies into a future update of the software?

Apart from this, I love the Xiaomi 12S Ultra, especially with the EU ROM! If you have a way to donate or support the project I'd be more than happy to as a token of thanks for the effort which you put into this project and ROM.
If you require any other information of my phone, I am more than happy to provide it.

Thank you, Birgit
www.birgitkrippner.com

Hey there.

I recently installed the Xiaomi EU ROM and have noticed, that I get minimum bars of network where I live. This is really slow and affects my daily usage. I live rural in New Zealand (South Island, Central Otago).
Some things to know:
1. my network provider is Vodafone.
2. all other devices in my household have full bars of 4G, which are Android (such as the OnePlus 10 Pro)

Is it possible for Xiaomi.EU to look into implementing the Vodafone NZ frequencies into a future update of the software?

Apart from this, I love the Xiaomi 12S Ultra, especially with the EU ROM! If you have a way to donate or support the project I'd be more than happy to as a token of thanks for the effort which you put into this project and ROM.
If you require any other information of my phone, I am more than happy to provide it.

Thank you, Birgit
www.birgitkrippner.com
Hi Birgit,

Congrats for your wonderful natural light photographic portfolio. Xiaomi should be proud to have a Leica's master photographer using their camera phone model in the day-by-day.
As far I could search Vodafone NZ 4G network uses (B28) 700MHz, (B3) 1800MHz and (B7) 2600MHz frequencies.
The current Xiaomi 12S Ultra version is made and available for China market only and doesn't support (B28) 700MHz frequency (annex) that is mandatory to get strong and stable signal when directly connected to the Carrier but far away from the Base Station like the rural areas at Global markets. Since the radio frequencies (enabled/disabled) are Snapdragon's processor hard coded there is nothing that MIUI.eu can do to handle it. But the signal should work fine in the metropolitan areas. The radio frequencies are the main difference between China and Global models versions.
The only workaround I could suggest to you is to enable the VoWiFi (Voice Over WiFi) then all incoming and outgoing calls will be completed over data network when WiFi connected. You can do a try enabling it dialing without spaces * # * # 8 6 9 4 3 4 # * # * and then Settings / SIM cards & mobile networks / <SIM 1 or 2> / Make calls using WiFi <turn ON>
Let me know if have any doubt and I hope to see great shots taken from your Leica-Xiaomi soon.

Regards,

Attachments

• IMG_20221025_000751.jpg
    IMG_20221025_000751.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 137
Hi Birgit,

Congrats for your wonderful natural light photographic portfolio. Xiaomi should be proud to have a Leica's master photographer using their camera phone model in the day-by-day.
As far I could search Vodafone NZ 4G network uses (B28) 700MHz, (B3) 1800MHz and (B7) 2600MHz frequencies.
The current Xiaomi 12S Ultra version is made and available for China market only and doesn't support (B28) 700MHz frequency (annex) that is mandatory to get strong and stable signal when directly connected to the Carrier but far away from the Base Station like the rural areas at Global markets. Since the radio frequencies (enabled/disabled) are Snapdragon's processor hard coded there is nothing that MIUI.eu can do to handle it. But the signal should work fine in the metropolitan areas. The radio frequencies are the main difference between China and Global models versions.
The only workaround I could suggest to you is to enable the VoWiFi (Voice Over WiFi) then all incoming and outgoing calls will be completed over data network when WiFi connected. You can do a try enabling it dialing without spaces * # * # 8 6 9 4 3 4 # * # * and then Settings / SIM cards & mobile networks / <SIM 1 or 2> / Make calls using WiFi <turn ON>
Let me know if have any doubt and I hope to see great shots taken from your Leica-Xiaomi soon.

Regards,

Hi Birraque,
Thank you for your kind words on my photography. And a big thank you for taking the time and replying to my post. I appreciate your thoughts and your insight in this matter, and I will give VoWiFi (Voice Over WiFi) a try. Being a professional photographer and being able to have a camera on my phone like the 12S Ultra, is a big thing. Hopefully better network reception will follow. Cheers, Birgit

Reactions: Birraque
Sadly we have no control over modem behavior, we don't implement any sorts of frequencies for any carrier, it's all preincluded and hardcoded by Xiaomi and/or their partners.

If you have a way to donate or support the project I'd be more than happy to as a token of thanks for the effort which you put into this project and ROM.
Thank you. Every bit helps. Each of us tagged as "Staff member" have a PayPal link in our signatures.

Hi Birraque,
Thank you for your kind words on my photography. And a big thank you for taking the time and replying to my post. I appreciate your thoughts and your insight in this matter, and I will give VoWiFi (Voice Over WiFi) a try. Being a professional photographer and being able to have a camera on my phone like the 12S Ultra, is a big thing. Hopefully better network reception will follow. Cheers, Birgit
The VoWiFi will handle the indoor signal issue but won't address the outdoor one.
You can also try to enable VoLTE (Voice Over LTE/4G). "Maybe" it helps when outdoor.
The procedure is almost the same, dial without spaces * # * # 8 6 5 8 3 # * # * and then Settings / SIM cards & mobile networks / <SIM 1 or 2> / Use VoLTE <turn ON>

Note: You can leave both options (VoWiFi and VoLTE) enabled. The phone's modem/radio will switch to Data or Base Station when needed.

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_20221025_171453.jpg
    IMG_20221025_171453.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20221025_171258.jpg
    IMG_20221025_171258.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20221025_171214.jpg
    IMG_20221025_171214.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 127
The VoWiFi will handle the indoor signal issue but won't address the outdoor one.
You can also try to enable VoLTE (Voice Over LTE/4G). "Maybe" it helps when outdoor.
The procedure is almost the same, dial without spaces * # * # 8 6 5 8 3 # * # * and then Settings / SIM cards & mobile networks / <SIM 1 or 2> / Use VoLTE <turn ON>

Note: You can leave both options (VoWiFi and VoLTE) enabled. The phone's modem/radio will switch to Data or Base Station when needed.

Cheers,
I really appreciate your recommendations, @Birraque, this solves my issue flawlessly. Thank you heaps for sharing your knowledge with me, it makes my day

Reactions: Birraque
Sadly we have no control over modem behavior, we don't implement any sorts of frequencies for any carrier, it's all preincluded and hardcoded by Xiaomi and/or their partners.

Thank you. Every bit helps. Each of us tagged as "Staff member" have a PayPal link in our signatures.
Thank you for your reply, this is much appreciated.

There are solutions for this phone. I found someone who provided solutions on Telegram
The solutions should be shared on the forum and not indicate "Telegram" to find the solution as not everyone could have and use Telegram. Please post the solution. Thank you.