14 Ultra (global) Issues (no 5G, no HDMI, Terrible Battery with camera)

eng333

Members
Oct 11, 2023
I've noticed a few issues with the 14 Ultra and am wondering if anyone else has had the issue.

I'm in the US on t-mobile and n41 is the only 5G carrier frequency that the phone supports. I've gone to many locations that have n41 (according to cell mapper), yet I have never connected to it and stay on 4G. I have it set to "Prefer 5G" Is there some other setting I need to enable 5G? Is Tmobile blocking me from 5G somehow? I'll try to get another sim to try.

I read that the 14 series supports USB to HDMI. I have a cable. When I plug it into my Huawei P30 Pro, it pops up with a confirmation message for me to enable "wired projection". On the 14 Ultra, nothing happens. Is there a setting I need to enable?

Looking at battey guru, camera used 27.6%/hr (used for 1hr, 30 min of recording video, the rest looking through menus or camera open waiting to shoot. Today, it's 31.8/hr used 28min (16min of video, about 5 photos)

Most apps seem to use 10h-15%/hr. That actually isnt too bad. Even watching a video file only burned 6%/hr. I'm guessing this is main to the display itself so maybe there are so some settings to tweak.

The camera is the real killer. Not sure what settings I can use to try to improve that.

Screen off is 1-2% which is great. That includes listening to podcasts for a few hours. The other thing is I can't seem to connect to any 5g. Maybe always trying drains battery

So with the camera, my SOT is as low as 2-3hrs. Otherwise, I can get 7-10hrs. screen off, I think the thing can last like 2-3 days but it's not very useful with the screen off.

Another item is the privacy green dot in the corner. Is there any we to remove it?

Does the new .EU rom fix any of this? I have to wait about a month before I can try it due to my account being new.

Last edited:
Same here with band 41. I see 5g pop up when I am on a call but goes back to LTE when I hang up. My 13 pro has no issue picking up band 41. It makes no sense to me

Same here with band 41. I see 5g pop up when I am on a call but goes back to LTE when I hang up. My 13 pro has no issue picking up band 41. It makes no sense to me
even when on a call and it says 5g, if I check, it's still not showing it's on 41.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

I have a google fi sim card and couldn't connect to 5g using that either

Last edited:
I've noticed a few issues with the 14 Ultra and am wondering if anyone else has had the issue.

I'm in the US on t-mobile and n41 is the only 5G carrier frequency that the phone supports. I've gone to many locations that have n41 (according to cell mapper), yet I have never connected to it and stay on 4G. I have it set to "Prefer 5G" Is there some other setting I need to enable 5G? Is Tmobile blocking me from 5G somehow? I'll try to get another sim to try.

I read that the 14 series supports USB to HDMI. I have a cable. When I plug it into my Huawei P30 Pro, it pops up with a confirmation message for me to enable "wired projection". On the 14 Ultra, nothing happens. Is there a setting I need to enable?

Looking at battey guru, camera used 27.6%/hr (used for 1hr, 30 min of recording video, the rest looking through menus or camera open waiting to shoot. Today, it's 31.8/hr used 28min (16min of video, about 5 photos)

Most apps seem to use 10h-15%/hr. That actually isnt too bad. Even watching a video file only burned 6%/hr. I'm guessing this is main to the display itself so maybe there are so some settings to tweak.

The camera is the real killer. Not sure what settings I can use to try to improve that.

Screen off is 1-2% which is great. That includes listening to podcasts for a few hours. The other thing is I can't seem to connect to any 5g. Maybe always trying drains battery

So with the camera, my SOT is as low as 2-3hrs. Otherwise, I can get 7-10hrs. screen off, I think the thing can last like 2-3 days but it's not very useful with the screen off.

Another item is the privacy green dot in the corner. Is there any we to remove it?

Does the new .EU rom fix any of this? I have to wait about a month before I can try it due to my account being new.
I live in the San diego area and have a Chinese version running EliteRom and have no issues with 5G. I am on T-Mobile.

I figured it out!!! Using ur dialer type *#*#726633#*#*. It will say something like show 5G. Then go into your mobile network. It will show use SA network. Hit yeas and ur in!

I figured it out!!! Using ur dialer type *#*#726633#*#*. It will say something like show 5G. Then go into your mobile network. It will show use SA network. Hit yeas and ur in!
Worked for me too. I guess the phone doesnt support NSA? Or Tmobile doesnt support NSA with n41?

even when on a call and it says 5g, if I check, it's still not showing it's on 41.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

I have a google fi sim card and couldn't connect to 5g using that either
I had Google Fi, and I couldn't activate my Xiaomi 14 on it, it would still work, but say couldn't activate. I ended up switching to T-Mobile. Only issue I had is voLTE decided to not work overnight. I rebooted and it came back. I've only had the phone for a day, so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

With USB-C cable in the box I also had no USB to HDMI. I bought a Thunderbolt 4 cable, 240 Watt, 40 Gbps. Link to German Amazon (I guess you'll get the same type on Amazon.com) and it works perfectly:

Last edited:
I randomly bought two other USB to HDMI adapters. One worked, the other didnt. So I really don't know what specification is needed.

This did not work:

This worked:

I guess since it is mirroring, it outputs the same aspect ratio as the phone. This means there is always black bars on top and bottom. Nearly all video is 16:9 so you'll always have black bars on the side too. Basically about 40% of the screen is wasted black
You can expand the video to the width but then you cut off the top and bottom (about 20% of the video).

I found an app called Second Screen that lets me change the resolution of the phone so it displays correctly on the TV. The only issue is that the Xiaomi UI doesn't work properly after resizing. It's like the touch points don't line up anymore with the new resolution. If you're watching a long movie it works, but if you need to interact with the phone, not so much. I think it is designed for desktop mode. They recommend using a bluetooth keyboard/mouse.