1st Time Installing Rom

Hello,
a week ago I received the RN 2, version 2015051, pre-installed MIUI 7.0 Stable, 7.0.6.0.0 ( LHMCNCI ).
I tried, following a lot of hints on this and other forums, to install xiaomi Hermes MIUI version, to no avail. Same happens to twrp (for Hermes) and and and. All the time I get the message, signature verification failed.
I also installed the global Dev MIUI, no change. USB debug is enabled. I used several root apps to try to get root, so
I could use flashify to install twrp, its not working. Also used the fastboot way, but when I invoke 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' there is no progress. I need to use Windows in virtualbox or VMWare since I only have Linux / Mac systems. The MiRecovery version is 2.0.1 .
On my other Redmi 2, what I got couple weeks ago, it was no problem to switch to xiaomi.eu OS. So, currently I got stucked. Any help and hint is appreciated what leads to an install of twrp and at least an xiaomi.eu MIUI version.. Thanks in advance... Andreas

I think you might have a custom rom that doesn't support ota. I had something similar... have you tried http://en.miui.com/download-274.html . Worked for me , but it's an official rom , not xiaomi.eu , so I guess it's something to do with the bootloader being locked .

Hello,
a week ago I received the RN 2, version 2015051, pre-installed MIUI 7.0 Stable, 7.0.6.0.0 ( LHMCNCI ).
I tried, following a lot of hints on this and other forums, to install xiaomi Hermes MIUI version, to no avail. Same happens to twrp (for Hermes) and and and. All the time I get the message, signature verification failed.
I also installed the global Dev MIUI, no change. USB debug is enabled. I used several root apps to try to get root, so
I could use flashify to install twrp, its not working. Also used the fastboot way, but when I invoke 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' there is no progress. I need to use Windows in virtualbox or VMWare since I only have Linux / Mac systems. The MiRecovery version is 2.0.1 .
On my other Redmi 2, what I got couple weeks ago, it was no problem to switch to xiaomi.eu OS. So, currently I got stucked. Any help and hint is appreciated what leads to an install of twrp and at least an xiaomi.eu MIUI version.. Thanks in advance... Andreas

Hello, when you type fastboot devices, the phone is recognized?

Hello, thanks for reply,... sorry for my late answer.
@Mymymi: I'm able to install all official MIUI ROMs; currently I installed the global dev from MIUI in hope to have root enabled. But there's no option for this. In other forum I read that even in Dev ROMs they removed root option.
Actually was thinking about to install the China Dev ROM, but guess it's not a big difference to the global one, guess
its limitation is in regards to less language support; but maybe I'm wrong.

@Stefano131270: Yes, with adb (fastboot devices) it get recognized.

Since I have the global dev rom installed, Updater shows, that an update is available.
Was thinking about to try SPF-Tool, but haven't done it.

Meanwhile I read, Xiaomi /MIUI team asked other communities not to use Xiaomi / MIUI ROM keys anymore. So at least, MiRecovery is not accepting the keys in xiaomi.eu ROMs and twrp anymore. And also guess, bootloader maybe is locked so I can't exchange MiRecovery with Twrp.

It would be more than helpful if I can 'simply' exchange MiRecovery with Twrp.
Can it be, that in my case the boot partition is locked? for ROMs and files not matching the Xiaomi key?
Is it possible to disable this verification process?

FYI: I'm currently located in the USA / California (although I'm German), so we have a time difference of minimum 7hrs to UTC / 9hrs to Germany; that's why I may answer a little bit delayed

Last edited:
Rui, I put a full step-by-step for your phone on one of the threads here (I think "removing adware from redmi note"). Search for gelopa and have a go.

Nobody has any idea how to install TWRP and / or the last xiaom.eu ROM in my new RN2 although currently all tries failed (see my above note)? I really need some help.

Thank you in advance, Andreas

Andreas, see my note to Rui above this. U may find the guide I wrote useful; I used adb tools on Ubuntu to root using SuperSU, then flashed the Hermes eu rom. Maybe your newer phone has a locked bootloader that you need to ask xiaomi to sort for you, but otherwise my instructions cover the installation method.

Reactions: Stefano131270
Hello, thanks for reply,... sorry for my late answer.
@Mymymi: I'm able to install all official MIUI ROMs; currently I installed the global dev from MIUI in hope to have root enabled. But there's no option for this. In other forum I read that even in Dev ROMs they removed root option.
Actually was thinking about to install the China Dev ROM, but guess it's not a big difference to the global one, guess
its limitation is in regards to less language support; but maybe I'm wrong.

@Stefano131270: Yes, with adb (fastboot devices) it get recognized.

Since I have the global dev rom installed, Updater shows, that an update is available.
Was thinking about to try SPF-Tool, but haven't done it.

Meanwhile I read, Xiaomi /MIUI team asked other communities not to use Xiaomi / MIUI ROM keys anymore. So at least, MiRecovery is not accepting the keys in xiaomi.eu ROMs and twrp anymore. And also guess, bootloader maybe is locked so I can't exchange MiRecovery with Twrp.

It would be more than helpful if I can 'simply' exchange MiRecovery with Twrp.
Can it be, that in my case the boot partition is locked? for ROMs and files not matching the Xiaomi key?
Is it possible to disable this verification process?

FYI: I'm currently located in the USA / California (although I'm German), so we have a time difference of minimum 7hrs to UTC / 9hrs to Germany; that's why I may answer a little bit delayed
Try again with Fastboot, use TWRP 2.8.7.0

Hi Gelopa,
unfortunately wasn't able to find your guideline here in this forum 'til now, also tried the search function here, further
ran some internet searches. To no avail.

Quoted for @Andreas_Kiel. https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/how-to-remove-adware-from-xiaomi-rn2.29905/ further stuff there - the manner in which you press the buttons seems important; click confidently and use the volume key first. Click power second and release it first...

OK, Dan, it's your lucky day. there are tuts available, but here's the gen specific to your phone. We're going to use the so-called fastboot method.

1. You need the following software - your phone is a "hermes", if in doubt.
* adb fastboot tools - google, download zip file, unzip to your pc (I use linux, but but it's the same principle for windoze and mac)
* TWRP_multirom-v2.8.4-mocha_signed.zip (you can use others, but this works fine)
* UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
* your chosen ROM.zip - I like global beta from here, but you could use any appropriate ROM, such as global 7.1.3 etc - just make sure you have the hermes version

2. Prepare your phone by going to settings/about phone and tap 7 times on the MIUI version. Then go to additional settings/developer options and check usb debugging.

3. Unzip and place only the TWRP image (either called recovery.img or twrp.img, or whatever you like) into the unzipped adb tools folder on your PC. You need not extract the entire content of TWRP_multirom-v2.8.4-mocha_signed.zip, just the .img file. You may overwrite any existing recovery.img in adb tools.

4. Place the superSU and chosen ROM on your PHONE in a suitable location so you can find it later - either at root or in download (for example).

Ready to go? Now we are going to install TWRP to the phone, so you can use it to root and then install the new ROM.

a. Power down your phone. Then, restart by carefully holding the volume down key and press the power button. When you feel the vibration, you can release the power button, but keep the vol down depressed. Your phone will boot into "fastboot" mode - a modified android icon will appear. Now, connect the phone to your PC with a usb cable.
b. On your PC, go to your adb tools folder, right click and open a terminal.
c. In the terminal, type "fastboot devices" - no inverted commas, you should see some indication of the phone being seen (because you are in developer mode as per 2. above)
d. then type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" (no inverted commas; use whatever you called the .img in your folder - this assumes recovery.img). The TWRP image will be flashed to your phone using fastboot mode.

Now, you can type "fastboot reboot", or just remove the battery - get your phone to power off mode and unplugged from your PC. You are now finished with your PC - everything else happens with the PHONE only - make sure it is charged or plugged in for power.

Next - we're going to root the phone and then install the new ROM:

1. Power up your phone into the new TWRP recovery which has replaced the MIUI stock recovery. To do this, hold Volume up, then hold in power. When it vibrates (which can take 15 seconds), you can release power button, but it's very important to keep the volume up held in. It does take a bit longer than you think to boot into TWRP recovery - maybe a minute - so don't worry, just hang on with the vol up depressed. Your phone will boot into TWRP and you can start to do the good stuff.
2. Go to install on TWRP and a file list will appear. Navigate to your superSU.zip (wherever you placed it as per 4. above). Select it and swipe right as per TWRP. Clear cache and Dalvik afterwards when prompted.
3. Return to install by back buttoning in TWRP. Repeat the process with your selected ROM.zip, wipe caches and Dalvik afterwards. Note sometimes TWRP seems a bit slow, but just wait - it doesn't take more than 5 minutes at worst to place the files for the new ROM: - the actual installation takes place when you reboot.

So, reboot your phone when TWRP tells you that you have finished - this WILL take about 5 minutes at best - you can remove battery or otherwise power down. Startup with power button; resist the urge to fiddle until the MI load has happened. The bar that shows progress slows down towards the end of the process, just before you are presented with a beautiful MIUI ROM without any of the super-irritating Vendor shaftware.

When you're up again, check under about phone and you should be up on the new ROM.

Have fun

Hello Gelopa, a few days ago I followed your instructions. \
Unfortunately Linux with ADP is seeing the device (fastboot devices) but as soon as I invoke to write twrp image
to the device no progress is to see, nothing on the screen.
I use Ubutuntu (setup with ADP tools from Ubuntu repos) as a virtualbox guest system.
I have the feeling, in my new Redmi Note 2 the partiti0n is maybe blocked by MiRecovery ?!?!?

Nobody else has experienced this problem with the RN 2 (version 2015051) before? Really would like to install MIUI from this community. But not able to even get TWRP installed. Seems like partition or something else is write protected where the recovery tool is located. And this one prevents to install other OS , as it can't (will not) verify the 'key' from other communities OS.

@Andreas_Kiel - you could try checking with mi to unlock the bootloader, this was not a problem on mine which I bought from an online vendor (so possibly they has a batch unlock done so they could install their crappy ROM). I also use ubuntu Linux (no virtualbox) but you should be aware that using VB requires you to set up usb's within it: obviously if you missed that, then the adb will most likely fail as the OS can't see the usb to which you've attached the phone. Once you have flashed TWRP using fastboot, you need to remove the battery and launch straight to recovery, otherwise the MI recovery will reinstate itself (boot to system option)

http://askubuntu.com/questions/25596/how-to-set-up-usb-for-virtualbox - old, but followable - apologies if you have done this, you seem like you know what you are doing, but worth a try. This phone is amazing and deserves to be used as widely as possible.

@Gelopa So, I used CentOS7 and installed android-tools-4.2.2_r1-1.4.x86_64.rpm, android-tools-debuginfo-4.2.2_r1-1.4.x86_64.rpm on a baremetal machine (no VM) .
Used the 'recovery.img' from TWRP_multirom-v2.8.4-mocha_signed.zip .
When i run: fastboot devices command I get :
[root@localhost bin]# fastboot devices
OR5SMRYP99999999 fastboot

then I run:
# fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
target reported max download size of 134217728 bytes
sending 'recovery' (11706 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.589s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.247s]
finished. total time: 0.836s

So far so good. But when I shut off the phone (taking out battery), and next power on / volume up at same time- releasing power as soon as it vibrates, the Mi sign comes up; still holding volume up turns to a kind of loop with shutting off / on for Mi icon. If I release volume up button phone boots up regularly.

Hmmm - @Andreas_Kiel : It requires a very precise holding of the buttons. From your note, it looks like the twrp has installed successfully, so we need to make sure that it doesn't default back to mi recovery (at least until twrp 3.0 is installed with one of the later eu roms.) Try this: when you completed # fastboot flash recovery recovery.img , take out the battery and replace. Then, hold in volume up and a second later power. As soon as you feel the buzz, release the power, but keep the volume pressed and hopefully this will launch twrp. Otherwise, check with mi to ensure bootloader is released...

@Gelopa yeah, that's what I actually did all the time, take out battery after the successful message on the screen, --> battery back - holding volume up + power on (both at the same time), waiting till it vibrates --> release power (still holding volume up) , and then the mi sign turns on and off in a loop ( maybe every 20 seconds...) . Will try it again

@Gelopa That's actually the way I did it all the time before, but will try it again. First I had the feeling, it';s maybe bricked by the company selling this phone. But entering MiRecovery still works as it shall and no hint for softbrick.
But it's weird, after writing with fastboot and booting with volume up+power on, which leads to a loop (when still holding volume up), as soon as releasing volume up (when phone powers off again) it boots up regularely by itself.
Maybe, although fastboot is showing it wrote TWRP to partition, it hasn't written it. Maybe the partition MiRecovery is on, is
write protected..... am not sure

@Andreas_Kiel OK - I did it several times before I got the knack of it - but, as I said, mine had a vendor ROM on it, so maybe had an unlocked Bootloader. Can you confirm with mi.com if yours is unlocked? Or request them to do it - it takes a couple of weeks, then try again. Good luck!

@Gelopa Hi, just wanted to give you a heads up:
I was able to fix the issue, today. After several tries, also with SP flash tool (to no avail), and for and back with adb tool (on Windows virtual machine and pure Centos server), I simply used another TWRP, this time the newest from xiaomi.eu .
And see, TATAAAAAAA,..... as soon as I push volume up+power on and release power on, it boots into TWRP screen.
Now was able to install european version of this OS .
Thanks again for your strong support.

Now I need to fix one Redmi Note 1 (2 Simcards) where, after pushing update button system jumps to the main screen instead
file directory

@Andreas_Kiel I'm super happy for you - glad the idea was right. I have also been using the latest TWRP since I wrote that guide, so never thought to test the old one I mention. Shows. Anyway - enjoy the phone: it's an unbeatable mix of price/performance :)