New [20.5.21] Mi Note 10 - VoWifi not working unless in airplane mode

raku-cat

Members
Mar 9, 2018
UPDATE AS OF 05/26:
After flashing a global or EEA firmware from here, backing up my modem in TWRP, flashing the 20.5.21 firmware, and then restoring the modem, VoLTE is now working normal, the only remaining issue is that wifi calling will only work and enable in airplane mode, whereas previously(on the global ROM) it was always enabled.

Greetings all,

I recently got a Mi Note 10 Pro as an upgrade from my Mi Max 3.
For context for my bug report, my Max 3 is running Xiaomi.eu 20.3.26, and was using the same SIM card that I'm using now.
I get good enough reception, am able to make and receive calls on both, but on the Max 3 earlier this year after switching sim cards from T-Mobile, my MMS messaging stopped working using the google messages app.
Though mms worked using the stock app, it wasn't ideal due to group text issues. I was eventually able to get it working after following this process https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleFi/comments/f6zb57/a_fix_for_if_you_cant_send_mms_messages_because/.

As well, VoLTE was working on my Max phone after forcing it on with the dialer code, VoWiFi was not working however.

So now to my Note 10.
When I first got it it was running the global stable rom, I left it on this during the week I waited for my ability to unlock the phone. I observed the following while using this rom:
- The "stock" phone/contacts and messaging app were replaced by the google versions from the play store
- Google Messages worked completely fine, even offered on its own to enable RCS, group messaging and MMS functioned with no extra steps
- After forcing VoLTE and VoWiFi on through the dialer codes, both were working, calls connected with airplane mode on and only wifi enabled, and after I restored the call log to my eu rom install, the stock miui dialer shows those calls as VoWiFi

What's not working now that I'm on Xaiomi.eu:
- Google messages will not function, similar to how it broke on my Max 3 after the sim switch; MMS does not send, and since group messages are an MMS they don't work either. I can receive texts in a group message but responding gives the toast "Your network is not ready", and every time I open a group message after force closing messages, it says it needs my phone number, if I enter it from that prompt or in advanced, things still don't work, and rebooting/force closing messages results in the number being unset again.
- VoLTE and VoWiFi are not functioning at all

I've at this point tried changing APN settings and doing some reboots with the SIM card in and out as I did before to fix issues on my Max 3, but to no avail. Based on the fact that all these functions worked from the global rom, this seems like something that may be an issue of either Xioami.eu or maybe just the chinese beta, if it's clear it's the latter I'm more than happy to re-post this issue on the mi forums instead.

Thanks in advance, etc etc

Last edited:
Updated to the new weekly and the issue persists, updated post title to reflect.

In the meantime, I had tried to modify the modem profile using this guide https://forum.xda-developers.com/poco-f1/how-to/guide-activate-vowifi-wlan-call-t3871263/ but I couldn't get anything to come up in the PDC tool for T-Mobile despite importing the proper mbn file.
I was able to resolve the issue with the google messages app by converting it to a system app, it's now able to retain my phone number in the advanced settings properly and all MMS works fine.

Another update, after converting google messages to system app and it was able to keep my number stored, causing MMS/group messages to function correctly, it also offered me to enable RCS, so it seems there's some permissions issue in MIUI 12 causing non-system messaging apps to not be able to work correctly.

The hunch I based off converting the messaging app to system was because the global rom had the google messages and dialer app as systems app, so since the messages one worked well, I tried converting the google dialer to system and changing it to be the system default in the settings, then I rebooted a couple times and re-inserted the sim, verified the APN settings on the T-Mobile website, but to no avail unfortunately, IMS Status still shows unregistered and VoLTE and VoWiFi services still do not function as they did on the global rom.

Reactions: Yannick57
Another update, after converting google messages to system app and it was able to keep my number stored, causing MMS/group messages to function correctly, it also offered me to enable RCS, so it seems there's some permissions issue in MIUI 12 causing non-system messaging apps to not be able to work correctly.

The hunch I based off converting the messaging app to system was because the global rom had the google messages and dialer app as systems app, so since the messages one worked well, I tried converting the google dialer to system and changing it to be the system default in the settings, then I rebooted a couple times and re-inserted the sim, verified the APN settings on the T-Mobile website, but to no avail unfortunately, IMS Status still shows unregistered and VoLTE and VoWiFi services still do not function as they did on the global rom.

hello how did you convert Google Message to a system application. With a tool? I'm rooted, but I can't.

Last edited:
Perfect ! Thanks a lot
Once Google Message in system application, everything works perfectly

Last edited:
I've come to realize my MMS issue just happened to perfectly mimic the one present on my Mi Max3, that one happened for some unknown reasons, the new one is clearly a general MIUI 12 error, its clear they were quite a bit too overzealous in their security and privacy improvements to the point it's hindered some apps to function, I'm assuming this error in Google messages is the as the ones with banking apps, those would likely be resolved by converting to a system app as well.

The VOLTE and VOWiFi I guess is unrelated, but I still haven't been able to test going back to the global ROM to see which configurations are different, it seems based on the difference in the function working and not working was the rom, it's obviously an issue of something missing from the Chinese beta or xiaomi.eu, I'm not certain what it would be though.

Reactions: Yannick57
I have tried cleaning and updating Google carrier services and reinstalling Google message and it still doesn't work.

I have tried the xda solution and failed. Although I also did not do well.

I have managed to run Google beta messages. I have done it by installing the application, then with root Explorer I have looked for the installation folder root./data/app/com.google.android.apps.messaging.......
copy and paste it in
root / system / priv / app / paste it here renaming it GoogleMessage, we give permissions to the folder and exit. Then in settings / Applications ... we will clean the data of Google messages, we restart and when we reopen it it asks us for configuration and ready it works.

Last edited:
I have tried the xda solution and failed. Although I also did not do well.

I have managed to run Google beta messages. I have done it by installing the application, then with root Explorer I have looked for the installation folder root./data/app/com.google.android.apps.messaging.......
copy and paste it in
root / system / priv / app / paste it here renaming it GoogleMessage, we give permissions to the folder and exit. Then in settings / Applications ... we will clean the data of Google messages, we restart and when we reopen it it asks us for configuration and ready it works.

All you need is the app systemizer module for magisk, I linked it above

I installed the app systemizer module with magik as the manual says but I didn't get it and that's why I did it by copying and pasting

Not sure it has any link to what you describe, but on my MiMax 3 with the latest MIUI 12 Rom, I experience 4G and all data stop working when WiFi is stopped after several hours. The only way to get data and 4G back is to restart the device

the task of systematizing by commands is not easy unless you have knowledge. Cutting and pasting with root permissions is very easy and sets the subject for google messages, for VOLTE and VOWIFI I don't know what the solution would be, i suppose it will be a problem with the modem.

@RodrYguez

Not sure it has any link to what you describe, but on my MiMax 3 with the latest MIUI 12 Rom, I experience 4G and all data stop working when WiFi is stopped after several hours. The only way to get data and 4G back is to restart the device.

Last edited:
Issue persists on 20.5.21, based on trying to update the MBN on the phone (and the PDC tool method not working even after importing an MBN...) I think this ROM (either china dev or xiaomi.eu) must be missing the proper modem configs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-05-22-21-54-47-340_com.miui.cit.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-05-22-21-54-47-340_com.miui.cit.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 542
So I took some time today, I put my sim back in my Mi Max 3 which still has VoLTE working fine, I compared the two, the only difference was on my Mi Max 3 the APN type is set "default,supl,IMS", I adjusted my Mi Note 10 to match this and still no avail. My Mi Max 3 does show the same message as posted in my previous screenshot, so I think that might have been a red herring.

I did some research and found some people flashing a modem image from a specific version of MIUI or after flashing a specific fastboot ROM, things worked from there out. In my case the ROM on my phone was the original global ROM, I did not fastboot any other ROM on my phone before moving to xiaomi.eu, so I think this isn't related.

I can't find anything else for this, so I'm hoping it just starts working eventually..

@raku-cat
VoWIFI is not working anymore since we moved to MIUI12. (VoLTE is supported and working fine here) I dont know if it is a problem of the original source or of the xioami.eu rom but it looks rom related, not device related - I got a Mi8. As far as I read, the devs here can't test it because they don't have VoWIFI at all in their country. Let's just hope it will get fixed one day or someone finds a working solution without having to root the phone. Keeping fingers crossed ;)

Reactions: raku-cat
@raku-cat
VoWIFI is not working anymore since we moved to MIUI12. (VoLTE is supported and working fine here) I dont know if it is a problem of the original source or of the xioami.eu rom but it looks rom related, not device related - I got a Mi8. As far as I read, the devs here can't test it because they don't have VoWIFI at all in their country. Let's just hope it will get fixed one day or someone finds a working solution without having to root the phone. Keeping fingers crossed ;)

I was able to get a part of it working!
I was speaking with a friend and decided to flash some firmware from other versions of rom for my device, since when I first got the phone it was working, I tried the firmware from the version of the rom my phone started on as well as a couple other versions from EEA and Global variants. On the first boot after the initial firmware change, I saw the wifi calling icon appear! But, it went away and IMS registration reflected only VoLTE was available. No other firmware version got it all working, and in fact my fingerprint sensor stopped working so I took a backup of my modem partition and flashed back the firmware for 2.5.14, when I booted volte had stopped working but fingerprints had returned, so I restored the modem partition and aha! Now volte at least was working, though I don't have any status bar icon for it..
It seems what you are stating is the case, cause if this modem was working on the europe rom that came with the phone, it seems now reason it shouldn't work on the chinese variant.

Last edited:
Just coming back now to report I got it half working! But only in the most frustrating way possible
On a whim, I was reading through a thread and someone mentioned "the only way to know wifi calling is working is if you turn airplane mode on and turn wifi on and make a call".
I already knew this, but I decided to try and check anyway even though everything said wifi calling was not enabled on my phone.
After turning on airplane mode and enabling wifi, at first the phone call didn't connect, but after a few seconds the wifi calling icon appeared! And a call was able to connect! When I checked IMS status it showed wlan calling was available, but everything else was unavailable, the opposite of normal (shows not registered with all unavailable, or registered with just volte available after my modem flash).
Unfortunately after I turned airplane mode off, the icon went away, and IMS status returned to showing wifi calling was not available. I attached some screenshots for proof, seems wifi calling is working and available in the ROM it's just all wonky!

Edit: Also noticed the VoLTE status Icon is actually there but only when I pull down the control panel (right side).

Attachments

• IMG_20200526_083551.jpg
    IMG_20200526_083551.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_20200526_083707.jpg
    IMG_20200526_083707.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
@raku-cat
Check if for you, with the VoWiFi forced on through the dialer code, wifi calling works while you are in airplane mode with wifi turned on, you might need to reboot a couple times and wait a few minutes.

VoWIFI and VoLTE are both enabled through the dialer codes and the options got visible in the SIM settings. Unfortunately VoWIFI is "not available" in IMS Status. A reboot or waiting doesn't change anything. Interestingly after returning from flight mode the sliders in #*4636#*#* (VoLTE, video call and WIFI call) are turned off and stay this way until the next reboot.

VoWIFI and VoLTE are both enabled through the dialer codes and the options got visible in the SIM settings. Unfortunately VoWIFI is "not available" in IMS Status. A reboot or waiting doesn't change anything. Interestingly after returning from flight mode the sliders in #*4636#*#* (VoLTE, video call and WIFI call) are turned off and stay this way until the next reboot.

I think there might be two separate issues here
From my understanding based on some discussion on XDA, I think miui 12 introduced a change that makes wifi calling only activate in a very low/no signal (or airplane mode) environment, rather than just always being on/available.
I think your phone might just be having a configuration issue causing wifi calling to not be available at all.
Can't be certain though, it seems there's a lot of strangeness with MIUI 12 in regards to these services, we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out further down the road. I'm just glad I got mine working to any degree.

Reactions: Parser