New All Bugs and Problems found on Mi Max 3 (8.8.23)

omer919

Members
Nov 28, 2017
Hello xiaomi.eu team!
Thank you for creating such a great rom and spending your time for us!
Today Im reporting all the Bugs & Problems that I found on my Mi Max 3 after clean installing 8.8.23
I hope that you will do your best to fix them and thank you for your great work!
so lets start,

Chinese Apps installed after fresh installation
App #1: here
App #2: here

No icons on expanded notifications with more than 1 item
Example #1: after installing a few apps from google play, you can see the list by expanding the notification. but when you do, non of the installed apps have an icon. Pictures: here

Example #2: When more than 1 person send you a message, the expanded notification wont have their picture bubble unlike a normal notification. (NOTE: I know that one of the pictures is in a hebrew system language but I checked on English as well and it does happen as well so ignore that! that picture is also used for another bug as well)
Pictures: here

Hebrew messages shown wrong on expanded notifications with more than 1 item
Okay so this one is a bit more complicated to understand if you dont know hebrew.
Basiclly what happens is that when you have an expanded notifications with more than 1 item lets take for example a message, the hebrew message is shown wrong and is messed up. Why is that? it looks when you have an expanded notifications with more than 1 item the system starts to write ALL TEXT from the left (English) but thats because its the system language default. Hebrew is written from the right and when the system writes the hebrew line from the left the message is shown wrong and is messed up. if you change the system language to hebrew the text on expanded notification with more than 1 item will be shown right on hebrew messages but wrong for anything in English. NOTE: This shouldnt be like that and the proof for that is that on normal notifications anything in hebrew is written from the right, Ill add a picture for that as well.

Whatsapp cleaner in security app shows 0B on everything even though there is

Games Speed Booster shows Chinese stuff (videos, pictures and more) if you try to scroll down a few times, and some times even if you dont scroll down

Games Speed Booster shows half icons / no icons for some random installed apps, (this also appeared in settings -> installed apps, but I wasnt able to capture that)

No icons for permissions when installing an apk

Chinese options shown in App Vault settings, when you disable the first chinese option, system launcher crashes
Pictures (contains logs): here

System fingerprint shows "polaris" (Mi MIX 2S) which makes anything in the system think that you have a Mi MIX 2S
This was very annoying, because when I logged in to my google accounts, google sent to my other devices that someone logged in to my account from a Mi MIX 2S which made me secure every account and change all my passwords...
Picture: here

Other Problems that I cant take pictures of:
1. When you use a third party music player and you select a song, there is a sound distortion and then music starts playing
2. The cookie easter egg of android 8.1.0 wont show the octupus after pressing many times and then long press, it just brings back to the about phone
3. After a restart you get an sd card notification, if you click on that notification to open the sd card file browser, the system shows a black screen with a few white dots on it for 1 second and then moves to the sdcard file browser
4. fingerprint reader is a bit slow, sometimes fails

I really hope that you fix all of the problems and bugs that I found, I will be very happy and Im sure that other people will be as well.I thank you for reading this thread and have a great day!

Keep the good work!

Last edited:
Reactions: ingbrzy
Chinese Apps installed after fresh installation
We'll look for the new apps and remove them.

No icons on expanded notifications with more than 1 item
Child notifications don't have a header, hence don't have an icon. Not a bug.

Hebrew messages shown wrong on expanded notifications with more than 1 item
MIUI 10's new notification layout wasn't fully adapted for RTL languages yet. Nothing we can do about it, it's for Xiaomi to fix.

Whatsapp cleaner in security app shows 0B on everything even though there is
Not even sure how you accessed Whatsapp cleaner. I don't see it in Security app.

Games Speed Booster shows Chinese stuff (videos, pictures and more) if you try to scroll down a few times, and some times even if you dont scroll down
Confirmed, will be fixed.

Games Speed Booster shows half icons / no icons for some random installed apps, (this also appeared in settings -> installed apps, but I wasnt able to capture that)
Never happened here, so can't reproduce.

No icons for permissions when installing an apk
We are using the AOSP Android Package Installer, rather than MIUI's proprietary one which has its own issues. The AOSP one tints icons, so when you're using the classic theme, you will get tinted rounded square icons. And when you use the default theme, you'll see tiny icons instead. Nothing to be done here. That's a Google/Android Themeing issue.

Chinese options shown in App Vault settings, when you disable the first chinese option, system launcher crashes
Already fixed for the next release.

System fingerprint shows "polaris" (Mi MIX 2S) which makes anything in the system think that you have a Mi MIX 2S
Do you prefer having your device detected as MI Max 3 and not pass SafetyNet? Mi MIX 2S's fingerprint is the only thing that lets your device pass SafetyNet check and use Google Pay.

Other Problems that I cant take pictures of:
1. When you use a third party music player and you select a song, there is a sound distortion and then music starts playing
Happens sometimes on MI 5 as well, but nothing to be done here. It's a more under-the-hood issue and we have no control over it.
2. The cookie easter egg of android 8.1.0 wont show the octupus after pressing many times and then long press, it just brings back to the about phone
Seriously don't care.
3. After a restart you get an sd card notification, if you click on that notification to open the sd card file browser, the system shows a black screen with a few white dots on it for 1 second and then moves to the sdcard file browser
Can't reproduce, but then again, we don't have a Mi Max 3.
4. fingerprint reader is a bit slow, sometimes fails
We can't fix hardware. Or drivers, for that matter.

@Igor Eisberg

MIUI 10's new notification layout wasn't fully adapted for RTL languages yet. Nothing we can do about it, it's for Xiaomi to fix.
How can I report this issue? Chinese system doesnt have expanded notifications and there is no global rom for Mi Max 3. Could you help me report this issue please?

Not even sure how you accessed Whatsapp cleaner. I don't see it in Security app.
Security App -> Cleaner, Finish the clean and then the app will suggest you to do the WhatsApp Cleaner as part of other suggestions.

Thank you for responding and helping
Have a great day!

How can I report this issue? Chinese system doesnt have expanded notifications and there is no global rom for Mi Max 3. Could you help me report this issue please?
Well, I don't speak Chinese. This is not a Mi Max 3 issue. This is a general Global ROM issue. You can report it in Global ROM's forums. http://en.miui.com/forum.php

Thanks, I saw that you added the whatsapp cleaner bug to the known issues

Last edited:
@Igor Eisberg

The Headphones & audio effects settings icon in additional settings is not right.
the circle should be white and the inside should be purple

Again, Thank you for fixing all these bugs and problems!
Have a great day

@Igor Eisberg

The Headphones & audio effects settings icon in additional settings is not right.
the circle should be white and the inside should be purple

Again, Thank you for fixing all these bugs and problems!
Have a great day
fixed for next update...

Reactions: omer919
@Igor Eisberg

I found something new,
The swipe app for search in system launcher has its settings. in the settings there is the option to enable chinese BAIDU Tips which then show up when you search.

We seriously got better things to worry about than this.
That search app is outdated anyways. The new version is filled with Chinese content but no point in working on the old version.

So ther next update will have a new search app?