Are you troubled by Xiaomi's changes to the Bootloader unlock rules?

wenliu0706

Members
Nov 13, 2023
Hello everyone Xiaomi has recently changed the Bootloader unlock rules. Currently, applying for Bootloader unlock requires identity verification, but identity verification requires a CN bank card. This also causes most people who are not in CN to be unable to apply for unlocking Bootloader smoothly. The following is the improvement suggestion I posted on the Xiaomi community. Although Xiaomi may not reply, I believe that as long as the number of votes and comments is enough, there is still a chance!

Voting link
Unable to send, Please see the picture below.

Content translation
Translated using GPT4, please forgive me for possible errors in the content.

English title:
Improve overseas user bootloader unlocking and identity verification rules.

Question:
The new rule for applying to unlock Bootloader requires identity verification, which prevents most users of CN version Xiaomi phones overseas from applying to unlock Bootloader.

Reason:
Currently, Xiaomi account identity verification for users who use "foreign passports, other types of identity verification" requires binding a CN bank card first, before proceeding to the next step of uploading ID photos to complete the verification. "However, these users usually do not have a CN bank card".
Why this problem occurs, I guess it is because the current Xiaomi account identity verification system is bound to the Xiaomi wallet app, resulting in relevant policy issues, requiring mandatory binding of CN bank card to verify.

#Suggested solutions (the following suggestion 1 is the best)
1. Improve the device unlock status in the developer options, add detection of the user's Xiaomi account bound phone number whether it is +86, SIM card, location, IP, and other multiple checks when the user clicks to bind the account, to confirm whether it is an overseas user, if identified as an overseas user, skip the community application and directly bind the account.
2. Although option 1 is the best, I still hope that Xiaomi can improve the identity verification system, separate the identity verification system from the Xiaomi wallet app, and allow overseas users to complete identity verification without a mainland bank card, and apply for developer version and beta qualification, etc.

Additional content:
Xiaomi has many overseas Mi fans enthusiasts, and many overseas users buy CN version Xiaomi phones for more features, earlier use of Xiaomi's new phones, and models and colors that are not released overseas, even if Xiaomi does not have global warranty service, and cannot enjoy local warranty service, they still buy CN version Xiaomi phones through various channels.
The current Xiaomi phone unlock Bootloader rule change requires identity verification, but this mechanism is not perfect at present, if it is not improved and optimized, it will result in a large number of overseas users who buy CN version Xiaomi phones, because they cannot complete identity verification smoothly, and cannot apply to unlock bl lock from the official channel.
However, these overseas users are the group that needs to unlock Bootloader the most, because if they cannot unlock bl lock and modify the phone by themselves, they will face problems such as unable to use some Google services normally, unable to receive app notifications (FCM push) and other serious problems, and even unable to use the phone as the main machine.

What problems will arise if you choose to ignore and not improve?
1. Currently, some overseas users who bought the mainland version of Xiaomi 14 series have been affected by this problem, resulting in having to find other channels to "unlock bl lock merchant to unlock, which will cause these users' device and data security to be threatened"
"Example: The merchant may take the opportunity to implant a virus into the user's device or steal the user's personal data from the computer when remotely controlling the computer to unlock the phone's bl lock."
2. It will result in a large number of: proxy identity verification Xiaomi accounts, lending Xiaomi accounts merchants (there are already some merchants), "will cause problems for the user's account, data, device and other security".
"Example: #Situation one: Users give their account to the merchant for identity verification, which may cause the user's cloud data backed up to the Xiaomi account to leak, and the security of the Mi home devices bound to be affected.
#Situation two: Users rent a verified Xiaomi account to use, which may cause them to be remotely locked by malicious merchants using the lost mode and extorted."

I hope Xiaomi can pay attention to this problem, this problem is very important, do not let the overseas Mi fans enthusiasts disappointed.

Attachments

• IMG_20231113_120011.jpg
    IMG_20231113_120011.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 510
  • Picture_1699847326002.jpg
    Picture_1699847326002.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 458
Thank you for the post.

To everyone, all you have to do is open the link OP provided and log in with your Xiaomi account, and click on the RED option which means "want". Blue means "do not want". So please click on the correct one.

Screenshot_2023-11-13-14-21-39-967_com.brave.browser.jpg

also I shared the post on reddit, hopefully it reaches enough people.

Last edited:
Thank you for the post.

To everyone, all you have to do is open the link OP provided and log in with your Xiaomi account, and click on the RED option which means "want". Blue means "do not want". So please click on the correct one.

View attachment 49440

Hm,
I tried to find the mentioned link, but I can not find it. There is some text "voting link" but this is not working for me .

Any tip what I make wrong ?

Hi everybody,
Offtopic... I'm from Europe and I'm planning to give it a try to 14 PRO.
Any advise for a Chinese reliable supplier?

Hi everybody,
I bought my 13 Ultra through TradingShenzen. First, and so far only, experience importing a China model but for me the experience was great. Good support and fast delivery because they had it at their EU warehouse.

Reactions: albumihai2004
Hi everybody,
If you have a Chinese friend, ask him/her to help buy one from xiaomi official store on jd.com or taobao.com, and find a cross-border service to deliver it. The process is very simple for Chinese, and almost all overseas Chinese know how to do it. The price is also much much lower than aliexpress or ebay.

Reactions: albumihai2004
I would suggest to buy on alibaba, this can save a decent amount. Since good sellers charge no more than 50usd over China Store prices.
Also If you have a country with strict customs it ist easy to declare a favourable import value and have only original documents that make processing a breeze.

Ask me for Details If necessary

Hi everybody,
I ordered my 14 from WondaMobile. It was my third time using it and so far I haven't been disappointed. Good prices and super fast delivery.

Hi everybody,
Currently in China, the best shopping platform is JD.com(JD 京东 must be operated by JD itself(京东自营), not by third-party merchants on the JD platform.), with the best service. I tried purchasing something and it can be shipped overseas, but I haven't tried it because I am Chinese.
I use GPT to translate Chinese into English.

Hi everybody,
I bought my Xiaomi 14 Pro from TradingShenZhen.com.
It arrvied in Germany within 16 Calendardays, so completly in announce time window.
Reliable service, good contact and information, so far fair price.
Customs had been taken care by Global Priority process, no problems with this .

When the process status was going into shipped status I got a trackinnumber and it tooked most of the shipping time to update the tracking status from being shipped to DHL to further updated from DHL company.

But as already stated, all went fine and I'm currently playing around with the 14 Pro.

:)

Reactions: geko95gek
Hello everyone Xiaomi has recently changed the Bootloader unlock rules. Currently, applying for Bootloader unlock requires identity verification, but identity verification requires a CN bank card. This also causes most people who are not in CN to be unable to apply for unlocking Bootloader smoothly. The following is the improvement suggestion I posted on the Xiaomi community. Although Xiaomi may not reply, I believe that as long as the number of votes and comments is enough, there is still a chance!

Voting link
Unable to send, Please see the picture below.

Content translation
Translated using GPT4, please forgive me for possible errors in the content.

English title:
Improve overseas user bootloader unlocking and identity verification rules.

Question:
The new rule for applying to unlock Bootloader requires identity verification, which prevents most users of CN version Xiaomi phones overseas from applying to unlock Bootloader.

Reason:
Currently, Xiaomi account identity verification for users who use "foreign passports, other types of identity verification" requires binding a CN bank card first, before proceeding to the next step of uploading ID photos to complete the verification. "However, these users usually do not have a CN bank card".
Why this problem occurs, I guess it is because the current Xiaomi account identity verification system is bound to the Xiaomi wallet app, resulting in relevant policy issues, requiring mandatory binding of CN bank card to verify.

#Suggested solutions (the following suggestion 1 is the best)
1. Improve the device unlock status in the developer options, add detection of the user's Xiaomi account bound phone number whether it is +86, SIM card, location, IP, and other multiple checks when the user clicks to bind the account, to confirm whether it is an overseas user, if identified as an overseas user, skip the community application and directly bind the account.
2. Although option 1 is the best, I still hope that Xiaomi can improve the identity verification system, separate the identity verification system from the Xiaomi wallet app, and allow overseas users to complete identity verification without a mainland bank card, and apply for developer version and beta qualification, etc.

Additional content:
Xiaomi has many overseas Mi fans enthusiasts, and many overseas users buy CN version Xiaomi phones for more features, earlier use of Xiaomi's new phones, and models and colors that are not released overseas, even if Xiaomi does not have global warranty service, and cannot enjoy local warranty service, they still buy CN version Xiaomi phones through various channels.
The current Xiaomi phone unlock Bootloader rule change requires identity verification, but this mechanism is not perfect at present, if it is not improved and optimized, it will result in a large number of overseas users who buy CN version Xiaomi phones, because they cannot complete identity verification smoothly, and cannot apply to unlock bl lock from the official channel.
However, these overseas users are the group that needs to unlock Bootloader the most, because if they cannot unlock bl lock and modify the phone by themselves, they will face problems such as unable to use some Google services normally, unable to receive app notifications (FCM push) and other serious problems, and even unable to use the phone as the main machine.

What problems will arise if you choose to ignore and not improve?
1. Currently, some overseas users who bought the mainland version of Xiaomi 14 series have been affected by this problem, resulting in having to find other channels to "unlock bl lock merchant to unlock, which will cause these users' device and data security to be threatened"
"Example: The merchant may take the opportunity to implant a virus into the user's device or steal the user's personal data from the computer when remotely controlling the computer to unlock the phone's bl lock."
2. It will result in a large number of: proxy identity verification Xiaomi accounts, lending Xiaomi accounts merchants (there are already some merchants), "will cause problems for the user's account, data, device and other security".
"Example: #Situation one: Users give their account to the merchant for identity verification, which may cause the user's cloud data backed up to the Xiaomi account to leak, and the security of the Mi home devices bound to be affected.
#Situation two: Users rent a verified Xiaomi account to use, which may cause them to be remotely locked by malicious merchants using the lost mode and extorted."

I hope Xiaomi can pay attention to this problem, this problem is very important, do not let the overseas Mi fans enthusiasts disappointed.
The reason, as I see it, is quite simple - money and control! By doing this users in regions outside of China are forced to buy the usually more expensive global rom phone instead of buying the usually cheaper Chinese phone, unlocking the bootloader and flashing a global or third party rom. They will also be able to exert more control overs users in regions not in China.

It all about scummy people wanting to cream from the "rich & stupid" west
The K60pro is a affordable midrange phone, here they want 50% more and sell it as a 13T Pro and people here actually think it's the same like the 13 pro

Hi,
this unlocking bootloader process is definitely harder, but what about the Europeans? I mean, can I just install Xiaomi.eu ROM without unlocking bootloader? Because I'm considering buying Xiaomi 14 and I'm definitely not good with China ROM that's in there.

Reactions: omsound
Hi,
this unlocking bootloader process is definitely harder, but what about the Europeans? I mean, can I just install Xiaomi.eu ROM without unlocking bootloader? Because I'm considering buying Xiaomi 14 and I'm definitely not good with China ROM that's in there.
No, you need to have an unlocked bootloader to install the Xiaomi.eu ROM.

Thank you for the post.

View attachment 49440

maybe it is a good idea to also post a translation when attaching a printscreen in chinese... easy to due in google lens!
Also here is the more readable translation text:

14:21
web.vip.miui.com/page/info/mio/mi
Suggestion details
Registration conditions
Cancel
Go and bind the card
○ Xiaomi ThePaper OS
# Product Suggestions
2023-11-09-Taiwan, China, associated 0·No.:
copy
Problem progress
Issue creation
Project has been approved
In development
Optimized
2023-11-09
want to
Do not want
251 people have participated
All comments 90
Xiaomi user_1X3i4S 1
Popular
up to date
One of the main reasons why I bought Xiaomi this time was to flash the phone. Otherwise, I would have paid attention to the playability and cost-effectiveness of Android. I hope Xiaomi will face up to this problem.
November 9th 10:44, Taiwan, China
You must log in to comment
Comment
A
mouth
Q
:

Attachments

• XIAOMI HYPER OS BOOTLOADER TRANSLATION.jpg
    XIAOMI HYPER OS BOOTLOADER TRANSLATION.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 143
Yeah I'm definitely troubled.

I was going to purchase a Chinese version of Xiaomi 14 Pro to use this year since they decided not to release it globally but the greedy Xiaomi rule change to not allow bootloader unlock totally put me off. I know why they're doing it since the flagship devices they sell in Europe are grossly overpriced. Honestly Xiaomi is getting too big for their shoes thinking they're as big as Samsung or something.

You've lost a long time customer and supporter with your bs bootloader policy changes Xiaomi.

I bought my Xiaomi 14 Pro from TradingShenZhen.com.
It arrvied in Germany within 16 Calendardays, so completly in announce time window.
Reliable service, good contact and information, so far fair price.
Customs had been taken care by Global Priority process, no problems with this .

When the process status was going into shipped status I got a trackinnumber and it tooked most of the shipping time to update the tracking status from being shipped to DHL to further updated from DHL company.

But as already stated, all went fine and I'm currently playing around with the 14 Pro.

:)
Congratulations!

You know I've been thinking about doing the same and even though it adds some more onto the cost of the device to have them unlock the bootloader before shipping I would have been fine paying that. The problem is that I just can't bring myself to support Xiaomi and their bs practices out of sheer principal. I think what they're doing with the bootloader changes is disgusting and they deserve to lose customers.

They surely lost me as one now. I would instead get an OPPO or OnePlus and run the Chinese ColorOS ROM before I buy another Xiaomi phone. At least in the nearest future, at least until they wake up!