Can someone explain all ROM's clearly?

Mavamaarten

Members
Jan 26, 2013
Hello MIUIandroid'ers.
I have recently received my device and it's really a dream to work on.
The only thing I'm missing is root, and I suppose you need a custom rom for that.

I've rooted many devices before and I used a lot of custom roms on my older phone... But I just can't seem to understand every ROM and its advantages/disadvantages.
The fact that a lot of ROM's are found on Chinese websites doesn't quite make things easier.

So, can someone just briefly and clearly explain:
1. Which ROM's are available
2. What each ROM exactly is?

I know there's MIUIandroid roms, JLB roms (whatever they are?), stock roms, ... but I'm really lost.

Reactions: Tomalony
I would say there are three main ROMs that you'll see people over here talking about.

1. JLB Roms - These are the official stable ROMs put out directly from Xiaomi. I believe language wise they are only English and Chinese. Current version is JLB 11.0
2. MIUIandroid Roms - These are unofficial modified versions of the JLB Roms that are released weekly and have more language support as well as support for non-chinese services (GPS, Google, etc) Current version is 3.2.1
3. Stock Jellybean - Currently version 4.1.1 of stock Android released by Xiaomi for the Mi-2. Current version is QCS99

Thanks for the clarification.
Another thing I was wondering about, how do these roms compare in speed and battery usage?
I use JLB11 at the moment, but I'm afraid that the miuiandroid one might be slower and/or use more battery.

Also, MiuiAndroid rom supports root, am I correct?

There are also the dev versions, they are from xiaomi too, better english language than in the stable and you have root rights.

Thanks for the clarification.
Another thing I was wondering about, how do these roms compare in speed and battery usage?
I use JLB11 at the moment, but I'm afraid that the miuiandroid one might be slower and/or use more battery.

Also, MiuiAndroid rom supports root, am I correct?

I'm on MIUIandroid and feel my battery life has been pretty solid, but I didn't spend much time on JBL so it is hard for me to compare. There's another thread where JBL 7/10 were compared to MIUIandroid that could give you some more insight.

MIUIandroid and the Xiaomi developer Roms have root access. JBL 7 was rooted, but last I read people were not able to root JBL 11 yet.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm running 3.2.1 at the moment and flashing was surprisingly easy, especially because I didn't have to wipe any data.
I'll report back with battery usage and performance, but it feels as snappy as JLB so far.

Ah, they are the same versionnumbers like the ones on this site, thats why I missed them. Thanks!

what does 3nd mean, 3.x.x? because my problems date to 2.12.28.

i think JLB 7 was the last good kernel. anything newer up to JLB 11 has broken WPA2 wifi as well as kernel battery drain ala the nexus 4, at least in my experience.

2.x.x = year 2013.month.day
3.x.x = year 2013.month.day
You mean this
2.x.x = year 2012.month.day

Version is actually release date
yy.mm.dd
For year only one digit actually
hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

what does 3nd mean, 3.x.x? because my problems date to 2.12.28.

i think JLB 7 was the last good kernel. anything newer up to JLB 11 has broken WPA2 wifi as well as kernel battery drain ala the nexus 4, at least in my experience.

Yeah i meant that :)

You mean this
2.x.x = year 2012.month.day

Version is actually release date
yy.mm.dd
For year only one digit actually
hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

???????????????o_O

I would say there are three main ROMs that you'll see people over here talking about.

1. JLB Roms - These are the official stable ROMs put out directly from Xiaomi. I believe language wise they are only English and Chinese. Current version is JLB 11.0
2. MIUIandroid Roms - These are unofficial modified versions of the JLB Roms that are released weekly and have more language support as well as support for non-chinese services (GPS, Google, etc) Current version is 3.2.1
3. Stock Jellybean - Currently version 4.1.1 of stock Android released by Xiaomi for the Mi-2. Current version is QCS99

Hi,

MIUIAndroid Roms are rooted or not?!

Thx in advance