Can the standard Mi 8 display play HDR10 content from YouTube and Netflix?

pascal80

Members
Nov 12, 2018
As per the specifications on the Mi Global site the Mi 8 Pro can show HDR video content but there's no mention in the standard Mi 8's page.

I sent an email to Xiaomi support and their response was "I regret to inform you that as of I cannot assure you that Mi 8 will support the HDR video playback. Also, I would like to inform you that as we are not selling the Xiaomi devices from the global official website, so I am unable to help you in regards to your concern. Hence, I would request you to coordinate with your point of purchase for better and quicker support.". I'm not sure what they mean really.

Also are there any other differences between the Mi 8 and Mi 8 Pro other than the in screen fingerprint scanner and the transparent cover?

Does this answer your question?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It can't be Screened but it looks awesome :)
5cdd5404df594387eabaaede84b5cace.jpg

Sent from my MI 8 Explorer Edition using Tapatalk

I see you posted links to HDR videos. The thing is I don't have the Mi 8, i'm just doing my research before buying. I guess what you are saying is it does play HDR videos, correct?

Yes, i can play 2160p videos in full resolution on my Mi8 Device.

Regards.
I see you posted links to HDR videos. The thing is I don't have the Mi 8, i'm just doing my research before buying. I guess what you are saying is it does play HDR videos, correct?

2160p 60fps

That doesn't mean it's HDR though. Many devices display Ultra HD content at their full resolution (2160p, or "4K"), but in SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) and not 10bit HDR (High Dynamic Range).

I have no idea if Netflix and Youtube work in HDR on the Mi8 as I haven't received mine yet.

Yes exactly 2160 in HDR will play on SDR displays. Please let me know when you try on your Mi 8

How can I check / tell, what is used?
Dev options overlay?

From Windows 10 you should see HDR in the quality menu next to the resolutions and when you right click on the video and press stats for nerds under color you should see bt2020 i think. See screenshot here
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
. I'm not sure how to check this in Android though

Btw, I'm pretty sure it plays the right vids, otherwise you wouldn't have the choice to select them, verified with the black shark, only 1080p available :)