Cannot upgrade Mi2 using any method - please help

nitrogen

Members
May 22, 2013
Hello all,

I have been reading these fora for some time and have tried to follow all of the Mi2 updating methods but my Mi2 won't update. I'm at my wit's end and would please ask for assistance. Please allow me to state what I have done.

1) I have tried to update the Mi2 using the bult-in updator. Unfortunately the phone cannot boot into recovery mode so any update method that is based on the recovery mode cannot be used. I have seen threads and messages here and there of phones that have no recovery but that can still be updated by other means. This leads me to

2) I have tried updating the Mi2 using grondinm's update guide using Miflash. Unfortunately this method does not work either because Miflash never recognises my phone when it's plugged into my XP laptop. I don't have Win 7 or 8 available. Grondimn's guide states

`plug in your phone using USB cable and wait for driver installation to finish and click refresh. Your device should show up in the list.'

Unfortunately the phone never shows up. The most likely culprit is that I cannot for the love of me get XP to find a driver for the `CRC Serial' device. I have installed the official Mi2 drivers (can't find the URL where they are hosted at the moment) and the MT65xx (or something like that) drivers, the Android ABD drivers, the Samsung drivers for mobile phones as suggested on other fora and a host of other drivers too, but the Mi2 won't show up in the Miflash programme when it is in fastboot mode (and neither when it is properly booted). I even installed Samsung KIES because it contained extra drivers, but none work for the `CRC Serial' device. I unstalled KIES because I *hate* .NET.

3) I have also tried to follow this guide on how to have the PC recognise the phone and install the drivers, but I can never get the phone to display what it says in the images nor can I find the relevant files that the post talks about.

The only thing I have not yet done is tried to use MiSync. Not yet sure what it does.

The phone contains MIUI JB12 which does not appear to be very stable and I want to either use the MIUI Android ROM or a stock JB ROM. I have pondered if the phone was a fake, but I performed some hardware tests with the installed benchmark app and it appears consistent with the numbers published elsewhere.

Can anyone help me?

Cheers,
N

It doesn't work. I download the ROM, I use the Updater app, the programme then needs to reboot the phone and the moment it tries to reboot I see the broken android sign (the one with the robot lying on its back and a ! on top of it). ALl I can do is wait until it reboots by itself into normal mode or take out the battery and restart the phone. it won't work either from within the updater app. It says that the phone is already at the latest version, which it clearly isn't.

Install the android SDK on your PC.
You can install android usb drivers from there. (Xiaomi Mi2 is not supported but it will probably work)
Then try to flash with Miflash.

Cheers, I will try that and post any further comments if it doesn't work.

Yes, I considered it being a fake (a very fast fake).

what is resolution of your screen..? (simple method to find fake)

Can you boot in recovery? If yes can you describe how it looks like?

According to Anktutu the resolution is 1280x720, as specified.

When I try to boot into recovery (vol up + power button) it shows the MI logo for an instant and then I get a broken android sign (the robot lies on its back and has a red ! sign on top).

I CAN boot into fast mode (vol down + power button) then I get a small menu in blue letters asking for hardware testing, reboot, eCWW (or something like that).

Fastboot mode is green and doesn't have testing menu. You have fake. And you won't be able to do anything.

Wysłane z MI 2

Thanks for your answers. I guess I'll just have to live with it or buy another phone.

I bought it at a mobile phone store Beijing. I had a colleague from the local office come with me and harass the store clerks to make sure they sold me an `authentic' Mi. We tried many stores and most were sold out. Guess I wasn't as lucky as I thought I was.

Lol.. My MI-2 is 100% original and I don't have star mark next to MI logo ;p
Another bulshit from gizchina. The easiest way to check fake MI-2 is to boot phone into recovery mode. Only original phones have Mi-Recovery.

Thanks. I did check it out while I was still in China and some of the things were as was mentioned on that website. That's why I went back to the vendor, only to be given a similar fake.

There is one thing I don't understand. When I buy a new laptop it always has Windows. I don't want Windows so the way I install Linux is I interrupt the boot process (by booting from USB or CD) and then I can install Linux.

A phone is similar to a computer. Is there no way to interrupt the boot process and have the phone boot another OS and/or install another OS?

Nitrogen

Theoretically you can... But you need a kernel for your "operating system" and support (drivers i guess) for the hardware.
Bottom line, it's nearly impossible.

Acid

I also have the genuine one and no * near the MI and as long as i know, no one have it.
Another good way to check genuine besides the MI Recovery is the 2 testpoint near the SIM tray, only genuine MI2 has it.

But what about the sock JB ROM? That has a valid kernel. It should, theoretically, be possible to install that.

But what about the sock JB ROM? That has a valid kernel. It should, theoretically, be possible to install that.
Actually not, a fake Mi2 and a normal Mi2 have still diffrent hardware.
The change you can boot stock JB is minimal

XP doesn't work fine with the miflash and when you install the miflash,one or more of the driver won't be installed .Strongly recommend you to update with a computer running win7/8 .
Don't forget to get it into fastboot mode when connnect to the computer.

Hey nitrogen, did you manage to do anything with your fake Xiaomi? Ive been going crazy and trying everything until I reached the conclusion that mine is fake, too, and saw your post.

It really sucks to but a phone in a shop and get ripped off...

You can check whether your SN (in the phone box) is registered in Xiaomi or not. If not, then it's a fake.