New Can't add permissions for app

er453r

Members
Jan 23, 2022
Details first:
- bug exists in both MIUI.eu 12 & MIUI.eu 13 - it works OK in the Chinese ROM
- tested on MIX 4
- app that exhibits the problem (that I know of) - installed officially from the play store - https://play.google.com/store/apps/...nteractive.alienisolation_android&hl=pl&gl=US

What happens:
- when the app starts for the first time it ask for storage permissions
- Chinese ROM gets that and the pop up comes up - the app works OK
- EU ROM redirects to system app details, and the permissions are not available to set in the system permissions view

What I have tried:
- I have tried forcing the permission with ADB:
Code:
adb -d shell pm grant com.feralinteractive.alienisolation_android android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE
- but I get a message that "the app does not require this permission" :/

Anyways, thank you for the rom, it is great!

There is no mention of "android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" in this game.
It checks for "android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" and "android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE".
Also, those two permissions are not declared in the app's AndroidManifest.xml, that's a developer's error, if they expect the storage permission to show up in the app's permissions settings.
As for "Chinese ROM gets that and the pop up comes up - the app works OK", I'll need to see it to believe it.
The game explicitly starts "android.settings.APPLICATION_DETAILS_SETTINGS".
I don't get any dialog that mentions storage permissions when I run the ROM in China mode.

@Igor Eisberg yes, you are totally right - I have also checked the manifest and checked that.

I will try to reproduce the working version in CH, it worked 100% since this was the first game I have tried with the new phone.

OK @Igor Eisberg I have had a little to experiment with different roms - and did some testing with official CH rom - I have attached videos of said app (and another too - I am an "Alien" fan :p ). So both work in CH rom, both do not work in EU :/ The permissions seem to be the same, so something else is different here... I do not know what yet :)

@Igor Eisberg if you watch the full videos I am showing 2 apps in fact :) The first one is in fact a different one that I have also found CH-working/EU-notworking, but the second one (later in the videos) is the one I was writing about from the start. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
@Igor Eisberg if you watch the full videos I am showing 2 apps in fact :) The first one is in fact a different one that I have also found CH-working/EU-notworking, but the second one (later in the videos) is the one I was writing about from the start. Sorry for the confusion!
You did not launch Alien Isolation in either of these videos.

@Igor Eisberg sorry, the quality may be a bit low, but the miui13ch.web starts with launching Alien Isolation. I kill it at the stage of downloading additional files (to make it short) but the EU rom does not even reach the earlier save sync stage.

I know that this is probably an app quirk because of the crazy Android ecosystem fragmentation, so thanks for looking at this anyway! :)