Can't send/receive MMS Mi 11 Ultra

Freddyx

Members
Jan 12, 2022
I have a mi 11 ultra running 13.0.5 stable. I can't send nor receive any MMS in Google Messages, default Xiaomi Messaging or Textra. I have checked my APN multiple times & they are correct; I have reset my APN's & reset Mobile, WIFI & bluetooth; I've contacted my carrier, who've stated that they have no issues with my service; I've tried another device which sent/received MMS with no problems (or changing anything). I'm at a lose as to what the issue could be. I have been able to send/receive MMS on prior versions but it suddenly stopped working on a stable 12x build, I updated my ROM in hopes of that resolving the issue but alas it did not. I have tried enabling/disabling multiple permissions & battery optimisations within messaging apps, carrier services & contacts sync.

The three things I can think of being the culprit here are MMS & APN settings are split into two settings, the device is faulty (shouldn't be since MMS was working on the CN ROM) & there could be an issue with the Xiaomi.eu ROM itself (though more people should have this issue if this was the case).

My carrier is Circles.Life (Australia) which uses the Optus network. This is a bit of bummer for me since I can't change carriers (I regularly travel between Woop Woop & Butt F*** Nowhere which Telstra does not cover) & text messaging is the only messaging service I use. If the issue persists I may have to consider selling my mi 11 ultra & changing devices.

I have a mi 11 ultra running 13.0.5 stable. I can't send nor receive any MMS in Google Messages, default Xiaomi Messaging or Textra. I have checked my APN multiple times & they are correct; I have reset my APN's & reset Mobile, WIFI & bluetooth; I've contacted my carrier, who've stated that they have no issues with my service; I've tried another device which sent/received MMS with no problems (or changing anything). I'm at a lose as to what the issue could be. I have been able to send/receive MMS on prior versions but it suddenly stopped working on a stable 12x build, I updated my ROM in hopes of that resolving the issue but alas it did not. I have tried enabling/disabling multiple permissions & battery optimisations within messaging apps, carrier services & contacts sync.

The three things I can think of being the culprit here are MMS & APN settings are split into two settings, the device is faulty (shouldn't be since MMS was working on the CN ROM) & there could be an issue with the Xiaomi.eu ROM itself (though more people should have this issue if this was the case).

My carrier is Circles.Life (Australia) which uses the Optus network. This is a bit of bummer for me since I can't change carriers (I regularly travel between Woop Woop & Butt F*** Nowhere which Telstra does not cover) & text messaging is the only messaging service I use. If the issue persists I may have to consider selling my mi 11 ultra & changing devices.
But hey, why you dont go back to 12.5.20?
For me its best, so stable as we can get it i guess.

But hey, why you dont go back to 12.5.20?
For me its best, so stable as we can get it i guess.
The issue started & couldn't be fixed in a 12.x build (fairly certain its 12.5.20 since that was the last 12 build). So going back to that build wouldn't fix the issue.

Having the same issue here on a Poco F3 on the Koodo Network in Canada. I can receive MMS but any time I try to send, it says Network Not Ready. I've tried both the old APN settings for Koodo (Basically Telus' using sp.koodo.com instead of sp.telus.com, which works on my Whyred running Lineage 18.1) as well as the current Koodo settings (Which this rom has backwards -- Telus has the Koodo settings (other than sp.telus.com instead of sp.koodo.com) and Koodo has the Telus (with it being sp.koodo.com instead of sp.telus.com). Neither work correctly on the F3, and neither does adding Koodo's APN manually using the settings from their website. (https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-data-your-non-koodo-phone)

I'm on the final stable build of MIUI 12.5 Xiaomi.eu version.

My Whyred running Lineage 18.1 works using both the MIUI provided APN from the F3, as well as deleting them all and creating a new one using the information from Koodo's website. So this has to be MIUI specific. I posted to their forums. We'll see if anyone responds.

Edit: This is partially solved. There is a conflict issue when you have Google Messages installed on the phone along with the Mi Messaging app that it breaks MMS sending in both the Mi Messaging and Google Messages. If you uninstall Google Messages, SMS sending will work again. My guess this is something to do with Xiaomi's Security app and they must fix it on their end. While they're at it they should also stop telling users that there is a security issue by using Google Messages as your SMS/MMS client instead of Mi Messaging. This is simply not true.

So as I suspected originally, this isn't Xiaomi.eu's fault and is something that will have to be fixed on the MIUI end. Hopefully this helps other users that can't explain why SMS isn't working even with correct APN settings -- and I'm guessing Google Messages is the common denominator with this OP too.

Last edited: