Can't Unlock, Can't Flash China Dev

gogglebot

Members
Jun 3, 2016
Hi,

Okayyy having some trouble.
The story so far...

1. Bought phone (Kenzo) from GearBest, came preflashed with a vendor ROM (Something like version 7.1.99.99)
  2. Managed to get temporary root using Kingroot 4.5.
  3. Managed to flash the Global Stable ROM using MiFlash in adb EDL mode.
  4. Unable to obtain root on this ROM, given ALL MY DATA WAS WIPED, I need root to allow the app called "DiskDigger" to run properly and have a chance at recovering some of my data, thus I want to get root in as few disk writes as possible.
  5. I can't install the xiaomi.eu ROM as I don't have an unlocked bootloader.
  6. I can't unlock the bootloader as I get a "Couldn't verify device" error, "current account is different to account info on the device", which is not true.
  7. I cannot use the "Updater" app to switch to Official China Dev ROM, (which would allow me to unlock without permission, as per that [Ultimate guide] thread), as you can't cross from Global to China using the Updater app.
  8. It's at this point I've lost track of what I've done. I've verified everything I can see on i.mi.com and signed in on the unlock tool and on the device with the mobile number, so I'm lost as to what I should try next, I feel like I'm going to break something (or overwrite all my files) if I keep guessing.
Can anyone assist me? Thank you.

To unlock , you have Meda the request via miui site, and they must send to you the unlock code, and it takes time, days for the request to be processore. In the meantime, to switch from stable to dev i suggest you to use miflash app. I am expectin same phone, and i will do the same when it will arrive

Inviato dal mio MI PAD 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

Why global stable? Only with global developer or China ROMSs you can unlock with permission.
Ooh okay, thank you, I'll install the global DEV, unlock then flash China dev I guess. Are you sure there aren't any ways to get root with less disk writes?

To unlock , you have Meda the request via miui site, and they must send to you the unlock code, and it takes time, days for the request to be processore. In the meantime, to switch from stable to dev i suggest you to use miflash app. I am expectin same phone, and i will do the same when it will arrive

Inviato dal mio MI PAD 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

Yeah that's right, I've already applied got got permission, else I wouldn't have been able to log in to the unlock tool :/

Despite first using MiFlash to get my current ROM running, this time The miflash app didn't work, I don't know why, it rejected the .zip or something :(

Ooh okay, thank you, I'll install the global DEV, unlock then flash China dev I guess. Are you sure there aren't any ways to get root with less disk writes?
You can unlock unofficially, but is tricky and somehow risky.

http://xiaomitips.com/guide/unlock-redmi-note-3-bootloader-without-official-permission/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/unlock-bootloader-waiting-permission-t3349886

HIGHLY RECOMMEND you to try this tutorial with GLOBAL STABLE FASTBOOT rom. People who have tried this on China dev or China stable have faced bricked devices.

After unlock unofficially, do not, and never, flash MIUI Recovery ROM (.zip) via either Mi Recovery or TWRP because it has stock bootloader (which is locked). Unfortunately, doing so will not relock bootloader properly but lead your phone to bootloop issue.

Finally, unlock with permission from Xiaomi is way safer.

You can unlock unofficially, but is tricky and somehow risky.

http://xiaomitips.com/guide/unlock-redmi-note-3-bootloader-without-official-permission/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/unlock-bootloader-waiting-permission-t3349886

HIGHLY RECOMMEND you to try this tutorial with GLOBAL STABLE FASTBOOT rom. People who have tried this on China dev or China stable have faced bricked devices.

After unlock unofficially, do not, and never, flash MIUI Recovery ROM (.zip) via either Mi Recovery or TWRP because it has stock bootloader (which is locked). Unfortunately, doing so will not relock bootloader properly but lead your phone to bootloop issue.

Finally, unlock with permission from Xiaomi is way safer.
Alright thank you for this information, I think I will heed your warning that this is dangerous as I want to keep this phone working for the next 3 years! (University)

I want to unlock officially, so for certain I need the global dev? And I should be able to use the updater app in global stable to switch to dev?
Then from there I can unlock bootloader, then go to China dev?

I think I just realised why MiFlash didn't work, I didn't download the correct form of the ROM, which do I need? In the end I want to be on xiaomi.eu ROM, but I'll need to get official China Dev first? Can you please link me to the right download for that ROM that works with MiFlash? Thank you very much for your help <3

My phone came with 6.5.19, which is global dev. Unlock with MiUnlock work like a charm. Unlock official work with any China ROM and global devel, but not with global stable. Still, why you need unlock, for EU ROMS? Or for twrp/root?

Yeah that's right, I've already applied got got permission, else I wouldn't have been able to log in to the unlock tool :/

Despite first using MiFlash to get my current ROM running, this time The miflash app didn't work, I don't know why, it rejected the .zip or something :(
Miflash to work properly need fastnoot rom, wich is in tgz format and not zip, and you must unpack it in a directory of choiche, possibly root, like c:\rom, and choose it from miflash menu, flash all is the better option to have the phone whiped and stock.

Inviato dal mio PLK-L01 utilizzando Tapatalk

My phone came with 6.5.19, which is global dev. Unlock with MiUnlock work like a charm. Unlock official work with any China ROM and global devel, but not with global stable. Still, why you need unlock, for EU ROMS? Or for twrp/root?

Thank you, Ultimately I'd like to have the Xiaomi.eu ROM yes, with root.
However right now getting root with the least flashes and disk writes is the priority, and it's possible that going to the China Dev would get me there faster, though I'm unsure

Last edited:
Miflash to work properly need fastnoot rom, wich is in tgz format and not zip, and you must unpack it in a directory of choiche, possibly root, like c:\rom, and choose it from miflash menu, flash all is the better option to have the phone whiped and stock.

Inviato dal mio PLK-L01 utilizzando Tapatalk
Ah I see what I did wrong, I had the recovery ROM instead, so I can go straight to China dev with MiFlash and the correct fast boot ROM?

We should put together a FAQ sticky thread here for this kind of thing (unless there is one and I totally missed it, but having one in this phone's forum would be great too!)

Urgh, didn't work, still got the "couldn't verify device" thing, now I have a weird new loading bar type thing appearing while the phone is booting shortly after the normal android symbol shows up? I was trying to restart it to check if the I'd turned find my device on, though I'm sure it was.
The bar is filling very slowly as I type this. Slightly worried, but hey maybe it worked by magic and willpower? :D

Go to fastboot, conect phone to pc and in terminal type:

fastboot oem device-info

Watch for devices unlocked, true or false. I guest you activate developer mode, with enable oem unlock and usb debugging?

Go to fastboot, conect phone to pc and in terminal type:

fastboot oem device-info

Watch for devices unlocked, true or false. I guest you activate developer mode, with enable oem unlock and usb debugging?
Thanks I'll try that when I'm home

Yeah I've done those 3 things :)

Put global devel in EDL, then unlock with officially method. Is`t safer.
Yeah I'll go with China dev

EDIT: HOLY HELL I DID IT. MY PHONE IS UNLOCKED. SWEET JESUS IT WORKED.
Thank you everyone here for helping along the way <3

Last edited: