Change Glass

cykeb

Members
Aug 20, 2012
Hey guys,

I have my Mi2S since a few weeks, but now my screen got some bigger scratches. To be honest very disappointing, I thought Dragon Glass would stand more. My DHD with Gorilla Glass didn't get bigger scratches after three years of use.
But okay, how do I deal best with it? Is there a way to buy the front glass and change it on your own? You can do it with a lot of other phones, but I didn't find anything about the Mi2S or Mi2.

Thanks for answers in advance!

Dragontail glass doesn't seem to be as strong as gorilla glass. But a much cheaper option would be to put a screen protector on it. It should fill in most of the scratches and you won't get any more.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk

I've been very impressed with the Dragontail Glass on my Mi2S.

My previous two phones were a HTC Desire and a Motorola Defy+, both of which had earlier iterations of Gorilla Glass (I think they're now on version 3). I recall that fairly shortly after owning both I was disappointed that they had picked up minor scratches.

A month in and the Mi2S's glass is completely unmarked.

Sorry to hear you're having problems, but I've had the Mi2 (and now Mi2S) for almost a year now and haven't had any problems. My screen is still in pristine condition, as is the rest of the phone.

I agree with the suggestion of putting a screen protector over top to mask the scratches as that's the cheapest and easiest way to go about it, but if you REALLY wanted to replace the screen, it's not that hard. In fact, I kind of did it myself when I bought a used Mi2S and replaced it with my Mi2's screen (the Mi2S's former owner didn't take care of his).

WHZAt9o.jpg

Unfortunately, the replacement part(s) range from $50 to $100 if you were to go that route. A video of the process can be found here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

or here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

P.S. Even though I used their video, I don't recommend buying from Fulcrumall. It's not that you won't get what you order from them, but there's a chance it will be damaged and from my experience, they will ignore you if that happens.

I've changed my screen, it didn't take long. Although it does lighten up and the homescreen is visible the touchpart doesn't work.

Ah, thanks guys! I'm currently still in Taiwan, so I can get a quite cheap display. It seems that you always have to be lucky with your display... but I'm getting a new one and put a screen protector on it. But this issue makes me really think about getting a Xiaomi again...