Chinese ROM Security Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxracer

Members
Nov 30, 2010
Does anyone have concerns over the fact this ROM is not entirely open source and originates from China? I have some fears about the Chinese government's censorship and keeping political prisoners. They also specifically hacked into Gmail accounts in an attempt to thwart freedom of speech. China also has a track record of engaging in industrial espionage so I would think one should be especially concerned about using this ROM if they work in a high tech industry.

I'm not suggesting they are going to come into my country and snatch me away or anything like that. But does anyone else share these concerns? Are the MIUI-dev.com developers sure that this ROM doesn't contain anything nefarious from the Chinese government? I'm a little uneasy about China's authoritarian regime possibly having carte blanche access to my Gmail, phone calls, GPS location, text messages, etc...

Are you the same guy who posed a similar question on DF??

I mean seriously.....its a ROM. The MIUI team over there obviously puts a lot of work into this and I somehow doubt the Chinese government is concerned about your gmail account.

Sent from my Droid using the miui-dev.com Forums App

The ROM is not dangerous just to put that to bed right now!

We did a TCP dump of the communications for this ROM ages ago, its perfectly clean.

Cheers,

Mark

If you're not scared giving all your data to google... you shouldn't be concerned by this.

Apple is doing the same and maybe Microsoft too. Perhaps (!) Nokia is better but who knows?

I am not one of those, giving all their personal info on facebook and other sites but I really can't imagine, what the chineses government wants to do with my data.

Data isn't safe anyway. Think of Wikileaks.

If you're not scared giving all your data to google... you shouldn't be concerned by this.

Apple is doing the same and maybe Microsoft too. Perhaps (!) Nokia is better but who knows?

I am not one of those, giving all their personal info on facebook and other sites but I really can't imagine, what the chineses government wants to do with my data.

Data isn't safe anyway. Think of Wikileaks.

The thing is what they are going to do with the data. If it's a chinese government backed organization and you're a Chinese citizen, you're ****ed. For foreigners, I don't think it's going to be a problem.

Again, if the concern was addressed with TCP dump, it's should be safe then.

The thing is what they are going to do with the data. If it's a chinese government backed organization and you're a Chinese citizen, you're ****ed. For foreigners, I don't think it's going to be a problem.

Again, if the concern was addressed with TCP dump, it's should be safe then.

Do you really think the Chinese government is backing a couple of hackers making a rom to a very small Chinese audience for rooted-only Android phones?

Do you really think the Chinese government is backing a couple of hackers making a rom to a very small Chinese audience for rooted-only Android phones?

I'd be more concerned with a giant botnet than I would the Chinese government looking at my data. But like Mark said, I had these same concerns very early on and was satisfied by analyzing a packet dump.

I don't do it for every single release so it's possible they snuck something in.. but I've had enough interaction with the development team to feel confident that their intentions with this ROM are not malicious.

Is this concern simply because it comes from China? If it were me, and I wanted to build a giant botnet or steal data, I'd be creating a ROM for US users in English and make XDA my home.... just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.