Dalvik2cache

phire

Members
Feb 6, 2011
So, newb question here. What exactly does dalvik2cache do for me? I love the latest release but I'm having troubles finding info on this new feature.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

So, newb question here. What exactly does dalvik2cache do for me? I love the latest release but I'm having troubles finding info on this new feature.

This one is a bit tricky, but i'll see if i can put it together. Android is build on Java and "runs" inside of a Java Virtual Machine called Dalvik. Much like a web browser, the virtual machine produces cache over time. This cache, by default, is left on the system partition which may be undesirable because that system partition real estate is too valuable to be consumed by cache. So, a script that moves that cache to another partition such as cache, data, or ext (sdcard) frees up more system storage for apps or whatever. If I missed something, please feel free to elaborate.

That makes sense. So this new feature is basically just moving the dalvik cache from the system partition elsewhere to free up space while leaving the cache intact?

I read on XDA somewhere there is a negative to that, but forgot what it was--maybe someone can help with that so you are informed enough to decide if you want to do it. I am not techy enough to understand it. Most people do cachesd but I don't know how many do the dalvik2cache.

Ken

Yeah, I was under the assumption that having the cache on the system partition would be faster but I do have a class 10 SD card so I don't know if that makes any difference.

I don't think you will much speed difference--it all moves pretty fast

Just read and think I also had issues months ago with flashing different roms after moving it and/or restoring from different bu's

Give it a shot--just bu your sd card first

The only problem with having Dalvik on your /cache partition (internal memory) is that it can interfere with Market Updates if the Dalvik size grows too large. Every time your Market updates, it writes a "Download.apk" file to your /cache. If you prefer to keep your Dalvik on your /cache (makes more rooms for app on /data), you can simply use Root Explorer to delete the "Download.apk" files from your /cache after a Market update is complete (they are completely unnecessary).