Resolved Default location service is Baidu, from 2.6.29 roms ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krispuniq

Members
Nov 19, 2011
I think the blokes at xiaomi have set the location service to BAIDU instead of Google location services, starting from ROMS dated 2.6.29. My foursquare, banjo and a host of other location based apps have started to act crazy since then and i guess this is the only reason for those apps to think i am not in a location where i actually am !

Can MIUIandroid.com please do something about this ? may be restore the location services to Google in all the roms before releasing them ? Any other option that can prevent this issue?

I was thinking of something like a flashable patch or zip file that has google apps including location services! but, flashing something like this on my Mi-One is not possible i believe because the recovery will accept only update.zip crap !

Whatever be the solution, it would help a lot of guys if the location services bug is fixed. May be admins here can write to xiaomi asking them to stop binding the default location services to baidu ?
any help to solve this issue is appreciated. I dont have the location service apk from earlier roms and faster fix didnt solve my issue !

Push this to your device, it's from 2.6.15 and should work fine.

Sorry to ask such simple question, can you please explain how to use this file? I copied it into my phone and try to install it but been noticed "Application not installed", is this the correct way to do?

Many thanks!!

Sorry to ask such simple question, can you please explain how to use this file? I copied it into my phone and try to install it but been noticed "Application not installed", is this the correct way to do?

Many thanks!!
Do you have ROOT permission enabled on your device ? ( i guess you have, coz you are on MIUI)

1. Download one of these apps, either Super Manager or Root Explorer.I am using Super Manager.
  2. Open Super Manager, go to File manager screen within the app. click menu->settings->setup root
  3. Now it will ask for root permission to this app, click allow.
  4. Now browse to the folder where you downloaded the NetworkLocation.apk.
  5. select the file & click copy (in the bottom bar)
  6. now go back to root of your phone "/" (keep pressing back button untill you reach "/" shown on the top left)
  7. now go to /system, it will ask ways to mount, select R/W option
  8. got o /System/app and delete the NetworkLocation.apk here
    Paste the file and reboot.You are done

Do you have ROOT permission enabled on your device ? ( i guess you have, coz you are on MIUI)

1. Download one of these apps, either Super Manager or Root Explorer.I am using Super Manager.
  2. Open Super Manager, go to File manager screen within the app. click menu->settings->setup root
  3. Now it will ask for root permission to this app, click allow.
  4. Now browse to the folder where you downloaded the NetworkLocation.apk.
  5. select the file & click copy (in the bottom bar)
  6. now go back to root of your phone "/" (keep pressing back button untill you reach "/" shown on the top left)
  7. now go to /system, it will ask ways to mount, select R/W option
  8. got o /System/app and delete the NetworkLocation.apk here
    Paste the file and reboot.You are done

Thank you so much for this very detail instruction, and I got the google map work now!!!

However, it seems not that accurate as before, I was using Scotland MIUI ROM but now they are closed, and they suggested their fans to come to MIUI andriod, do you know where I can find the summary for the functions that MIUI andriod optimised or added base on the original MIUI ROM?

Many thanks!!

Reactions: krispuniq
Thank you so much for this very detail instruction, and I got the google map work now!!!

However, it seems not that accurate as before, I was using Scotland MIUI ROM but now they are closed, and they suggested their fans to come to MIUI andriod, do you know where I can find the summary for the functions that MIUI andriod optimised or added base on the original MIUI ROM?

Many thanks!!
It is mostly a simple translated ROM only. Very few changes are done, like adding google apps etc. official changelog can be found on friday at ROM Release section.

What phone are you using btw ?

It is mostly a simple translated ROM only. Very few changes are done, like adding google apps etc. official changelog can be found on friday at ROM Release section.

What phone are you using btw ?

I'm using Samsung Galaxy S II, the google map was quite accurate when I was using Scotland MIUI, so if I install the MIUI android ROM, do I need to copy this NetworkLocation.apk to do the file replacment again? or the Google map will automatically work?

Thanks.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy S II, the google map was quite accurate when I was using Scotland MIUI, so if I install the MIUI android ROM, do I need to copy this NetworkLocation.apk to do the file replacment again? or the Google map will automatically work?

Thanks.
As of now, like it is being mentioned everywhere, location service apk is default set to Baidu or some chinese thing i believe. So if you install MIUI v4 2.7.6 or 2.6.29, from miuiandroid.com also, you need to copy this networklocation.apk into system/app so that network location works properly for you. I hope this issue would be solved in today's build or next week's build at the latest !

hi guys i tried both instructions, pusing the old networklocation.apk file provided here and also fasterfix from playstore but it still wont find my gps when i use google maps offline, i have galaxy s2 running MIUI v4 2.7.13

I've used root explorer to copy and paste the file and still didnt work so i tried fasterfix and it seemed to change some settings but it still not working. I've downloaded some maps to googlemaps and i was hoping gps only without data/wifi would find my location but no luck.

any other solution guys?

Thanks for the file and the fix, do not forget to change permissions on new .apk before reboot. read for all, write for owner. I am new to the MIUI ROM and this was the only thing stopping it from being nearly perfect, all good now. nice work by devs.

Thanks for the file and the fix, do not forget to change permissions on new .apk before reboot. read for all, write for owner. I am new to the MIUI ROM and this was the only thing stopping it from being nearly perfect, all good now. nice work by devs.

ok how do you change permissions on the new apk? can u give a step by step guide pls

Once you have copied. apk press and hold until menu pops up, then select permissions and simply deselect and select required ones

thanks for all the info, now i know why the Map show wrong location
no baidu please

I have talked to Mark, and this is pretty serious. Xiaomi never told anyone they were moving from Google -> Baidu. We have removed the Baidu apk and replaced it with the Google one for next release. I don't trust Baidu either, and this pisses me off that they included this without telling anyone. We are currently debating whether we release a hotfix tomorrow.

Reactions: krispuniq and daica
Doesn't that have to do with xiaomi removing all gapps from Miui as they had stated a while ago? At least that is what I thought. Nevertheless, it's still *****. Thanks for your efforts:D

Doesn't that have to do with xiaomi removing all gapps from Miui as they had stated a while ago? At least that is what I thought. Nevertheless, it's still *****. Thanks for your efforts:D

That could be true. Either way more investigating is under way.

Reactions: pa.pn2
I have talked to Mark, and this is pretty serious. Xiaomi never told anyone they were moving from Google -> Baidu. We have removed the Baidu apk and replaced it with the Google one for next release. I don't trust Baidu either, and this pisses me off that they included this without telling anyone. We are currently debating whether we release a hotfix tomorrow.
Pheww.. That sounds good!
Atleast from next release, the location bug is going to be taken care of. Baidu isnt as quick as google in identifying location and i figured out baidu was being used instead of google, when i was checking the services running in Autokiller.
Thanks a lot for your efforts, iBotPeaches !
I actually thought it was only for Mi-one they did this ****** change, but looks like every rom has it. :p .. looking forward to a hotfix if it is gonna be out tomorrow and yea Xiaomi should have told this, atleast in the changelog.

I did not update my UI since 2.6.22 due to this issue. Luckily I'm a Chinese and I spotted this in changelog (the Chinese version), and did not update since then.

According to some forum this discussion, this is due to some government requirement otherwise MI One cannot be sold in mainland China. But I've problem to identify the source, but it's plausible to me.

After all, thank you guys for the solution.

I did not update my UI since 2.6.22 due to this issue. Luckily I'm a Chinese and I spotted this in changelog (the Chinese version), and did not update since then.

According to some forum this discussion, this is due to some government requirement otherwise MI One cannot be sold in mainland China. But I've problem to identify the source, but it's plausible to me.

After all, thank you guys for the solution.

Yes, we updated NetworkLocation.apk a few releases ago. Its back to Google :)

Status
Not open for further replies.