Differences Between Global Rom And Eu Rom

Syohmi

Members
Dec 4, 2016
Hello, I received my Redmi 4 Prime yesterday and I'm very happy with it. In fact, I'm surprised how nice it is.

My phone came with the Global ROM pre-installed. I don't see any Chinese characters, or Chinese apps. At idle it uses around 1.5Gb of RAM.

How does the global ROM differ from the EU ROM (except root access)? Right now the phone doesn't feel bloated. It's snappy and responsive, in fact. I was planning on flashing the EU ROM on it before I received it, but now that I have it I feel like I don't need to switch.

What benefits would I get from installing the EU ROM?

Please could you give more detailed info on how you resolved your issue. I have a "fake" rom on my phone and will need to remove it when an offical global ROM becomes available (I see little point in risking a brick just to get an EU ROM from here that will not get OTA).
other thread said:
so I used chinese MI pc suite and download developer rom from official page and flash via that. so I manage to boot rom.

How did you check if bootloader was locked?
Was using the Chinese Mi PC Suite a way of getting round the problems and directly flashing a ROM?
What do you think are the benefits of removing the "fake" ROM, and flashing the EU ROM from here?

Sorry for the noob questions and thanks in advance.

Thanks for the good tips and quick response.
From what I understand, the EU ROM requires flashing to update - it does not have OTA because it is not official.
So I have little to gain from flashing it compared to the "fake" ROM on the phone.
The phone is for my lady - she will not understand or flash ROMs - she just requires French language. So OTA is essential.

I will use your guide later when an offical global ROM is released or MIUI 9 is released (if Redmi 4 gets supported).

OK, so it seems I have a 'fake' ROM. However, I bought my phone from the official Xiaomi store: xiaomionline [dot] aliexpress [dot] com/store/2178148

Here is the phone's page: aliexpress [dot] com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-4-Prime-Mobile-Phone-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-CPU/2178148_32763245357.html

And in the description for OS it says: MIUI 8 Android 6.0.1 , Custom ROM, Multi Language + Google play store. So it was Xiaomi who put the custom ROM and Google Play store on the phone.

I'm really confused now.

OK, so it seems I have a 'fake' ROM. However, I bought my phone from the official Xiaomi store: xiaomionline [dot] aliexpress [dot] com/store/2178148

Here is the phone's page: aliexpress [dot] com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-4-Prime-Mobile-Phone-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-CPU/2178148_32763245357.html

And in the description for OS it says: MIUI 8 Android 6.0.1 , Custom ROM, Multi Language + Google play store. So it was Xiaomi who put the custom ROM and Google Play store on the phone.

I'm really confused now.
At a guess I would think that the store you used is official Xiaomi. How do you know it is?
At the very least I would expect a large company to change the contact details person "Mr. Xiaomi Sales". ;)

At a guess I would think that the store you used is official Xiaomi. How do you know it is?
At the very least I would expect a large company to change the contact details person "Mr. Xiaomi Sales". ;)

Where do you see Mr. Xiaomi Sales? All I see is "Xiaomi Sales" for the contact.

Let's get this straight, this 'fake' global ROM version doesn't have any updates, but neither does the EU ROM? Plus, when I went to the unlock page it told me certain features like finding a lost phone will not work any more after the bootloader is unlocked, is this true?

OK, even on the store page when you list devices with the official global ROM, the Redmi 4 isn't listed. So by their own admission it is a 'custom ROM'. I don't see any problem with this?

What makes this 'fake'?

When saying fake I mean it's not official ROM.
Yes for now is only Chinese version of ROM available. But I guess soon will be global available.
That fake ROM is actually based on Chinese.
I bought my 5 redmi phones from honorbuy. And talk with them and find out they have own team thay do that. Putting ROM when global is not available

OK, thanks. I don't see any harm in using this custom ROM until the official global ROM becomes available. When the global ROM does become available will I be able to flash it to the phone without unlocking the bootloader?

Following this..
I too seem to to the have this "fake" rom. Btw iIbought this at Gearbest.
But it seems to work quite well and absolutely no Chinese bloat ware.
But I really do not see the advantage of going to Eu rom, especially since I currently live in Asia.
Happy to hear otherwise but this rom seems to do the job.
If I do flash a new Rom will I have to reinstall all my apps?

Things like your apps list and contacts will be synced with your google account (if you sync).
Things like SMS history will be lost.
Saved games will be syned with the game login (if you login to the game).
Photos and music will be lost unless you are using a backup service (google do a good job with this).
Settings for apps will be lost.

0--
OK, thanks. I don't see any harm in using this custom ROM until the official global ROM becomes available. When the global ROM does become available will I be able to flash it to the phone without unlocking the bootloader?

yes, by using chinese miui pc suite you are safe.

Things like your apps list and contacts will be synced with your google account (if you sync).
Things like SMS history will be lost.
Saved games will be syned with the game login (if you login to the game).
Photos and music will be lost unless you are using a backup service (google do a good job with this).
Settings for apps will be lost.

well sms history and call history you can do backup with me account.